What other NFL teams have done this?

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had one great QB where the back up took over and became the next great Qb.
The only ones I know of is the Packers (obviously) and the 49ers with Joe Montana and Steve Young.

Any others?
How unique are we in this regard?

SyX

Stranger in a strange land
Reaction score
Would you consider Bledsoe to be great? The Rams had Tony Banks and Steve Bono before Warner, so guess they don't count...

How could I possibly forget:

Josh McCown before JaMarcus Russell

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score
Where do some of you posters find the 100h x 500w pics or graphics that fit in the sig.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bledsoe was pretty good back in the day and he took them to a super bowl loss.
Brees to Rivers might work though I thought Flutie might have been in the way for a year or 2.
Some might consider Mcnabb to vick if vick stays and plays at a high level, but I kinda think Mcnabb sucked.

Eis Bowl

Touchdown Artist
Reaction score
I remember the year or year after Young took over for Montana I kept thinking for a long time how lucky they were to have two great QBs in a row like that and how much of an advantage they had because they could focus on other aspects of the team.

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Had one great QB where the back up took over and became the next great Qb.
The only ones I know of is the Packers (obviously) and the 49ers with Joe Montana and Steve Young.

Any others?
How unique are we in this regard?

forgive me but i think youre being a little over the top here.

Rogers was well trained and practiced for good years before getting the start. Which was basically how it was done 10 and 20 years ago as opposed to now with throwing free agents with limited playbook knowledge on the field.

and Young was a quality established veteran who was on crappy teams before starting for the 49ers

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is stretching it a bit, but Favre to Mark Sanchez. I know i'm stretching it :agree:
That's not stretching it at all if Sanchez was the backup during the Favre year with the Jets.

Now that would be interesting if there were two good backups who did well after replacing the same starter on two different teams.
Maybe there will be a 3rd in Minny next year, but I hope not.

y5nthon5a

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tommy Maddox to Ben Roethlisberger?
Jim Harbaugh to Peyton Manning?
Jay Cutler to Kyle Orton to Tim Tebow? Lmao.
Kerry Collins to Kurt Warner to Eli Manning?
Aaron Brooks to Drew Brees?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I would say Rodgers replaced a legend faster than Young did Montana, but after thinking it over in my head, I can't think of anything better. Rodgers and Young both got to the Super Bowl 3 years after replacing a legend. Young became a starter in 91 and made it to the big stage in 94, and as we know Rodgers became the starter 3 years previous to now.

Members online

Latest posts