What made you a Packers fan?

Bingo_Arms

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will admit, I'm somewhat a fan of Australian Rules Football. I like it better than Rugby. Can't stand soccer (futbol), it's like sitting outside in the rain, watching cars rust. I'm trying to figure out why the game hasn't come to the US to be honest. It has all the ways of maiming another person that we want in sports, and it means someone has to kick a ball as a part of the game. All the goodies of our game, except very few stoppages of play. They just keep rolling constantly, which means you really need to be in shape to play the game.

Yeah it definitely has the endurance/fitness requirement of soccer combined with a physicality aspect more in tune with rugby or football.

I just think it's such a unique sport to Australia and such a niche sport that if fans are interested they'll find a way to tune in. For what it's worth as well, the league is doing well just operating in their home country. I have no idea if they'd ever consider putting a team in New Zealand as that's a rugby haven but maybe something like that could happen. There's 18 teams now, when I lived there and followed it closer I think it was 14. 18 teams for a small country (population wise) is pretty good, it covers the majority of the country now with two teams out west, two in South Australia and teams into the north east state of Queensland in addition to their presence in the bigger states of Victoria and New South Wales.

It's a fun sport to watch, definitely fast moving.

The NFL has really grown over there in popularity though. Not that it will surpass their own "version" of football and league but the NFL's global reach is definitely evident whenever I go back to visit. I won't be surprised if in a few years they attempt an international game in Sydney. Seems like a wild thought but at one point so was Brazil lol.

thw223

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What made you a Packers fan? Were you raised in a family that are fans? Is it because of your location? Do you personally know the players?

Mostly growing up in Madison and most of my friends and family were Packers fans.

My mom and her side of the family were Bears fans though so I dodged that bullet for sure!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The title of this thread amuses me. If you were born in WI, you were born a Packer fan. It's in the blood.

And growing up in the 60s, it seemed everyone was a Packer fan regardless of birth state. Well, except Texas.

Bowman57

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ken Bowman went to my high school…
Sadly, he passed away this year…
He was older than me, and I never got the chance to meet him..

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The title of this thread amuses me. If you were born in WI, you were born a Packer fan. It's in the blood.

And growing up in the 60s, it seemed everyone was a Packer fan regardless of birth state. Well, except Texas.
All of my family is from WI, but my parents were young and moving around when my brothers and I were born so I'm technically a Hoosier. We moved back when I was 3yrs old, so hopefully I qualify as having it in my blood.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All of my family is from WI, but my parents were young and moving around when my brothers and I were born so I'm technically a Hoosier. We moved back when I was 3yrs old, so hopefully I qualify as having it in my blood.
Oh I think you qualify just fine El G, just fine! I didn't really learn about the Packers until I was around 10, 1964, and then I was indoctrinated in the G&G.

We moved to CA in 2000 for my job, just outside SF. We met our next door neighbors who were originally from NYC and had also transferred to SF for work. When the husband found out we were from WI he asked "Do you have a cheesehead?" We didn't and then he said "I do!"

Sure enough he goes in his garage and pulls out a cheesehead. Turns out that even though he was born and raised in NYC, he was a fan of the Packers and not the Giants (or, heaven forbid, the Jets....). It was a very funny moment. So Packer fans come from everywhere, and they do - all over the world.

But I would call you an original El G!

Reaction score
A few years before our 1996 SB, I had moved to VA. My Puppy, German Shepherd mix “Rocky” chewed on my new Foam Cheesehead I bought for the Playoffs and it became unwearable (damn dog!) . Around that same timeframe, I installed a smaller A/C Window unit in my bedroom window, but there was too much room on one side to get it properly insulated.
I took the Packer Cheese Wedge (pointy side) and pushed it into the hole and miraculously it sealed it perfectly!! For several years that Wedge served to keep my room cool on hotter days. It even grew mold from the moisture so it made it authentic. I’m not sure if I qualify, but I’ll be forever grateful for that 1996 team for getting me to buy a Playoff Yellow Cheesewedge turned Dog Toy turned A/C sealer!

It didn’t make me a Packer fan.. but it sure did SEAL THE DEAL!!

PS
God bless you Rocky (Crotch Monger)!
Rocky would greet you putting his head in between your legs in yiur crotch area. My GF’s thought he was adorable!

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few years before our 1996 SB, I had moved to VA. My Puppy, German Shepherd mix “Rocky” chewed on my new Foam Cheesehead I bought for the Playoffs and it became unwearable (damn dog!) . Around that same timeframe, I installed a smaller A/C Window unit in my bedroom window, but there was too much room on one side to get it properly insulated.
I took the Packer Cheese Wedge (pointy side) and pushed it into the hole and miraculously it sealed it perfectly!! For several years that Wedge served to keep my room cool on hotter days. It even grew mold from the moisture so it made it authentic. I’m not sure if I qualify, but I’ll be forever grateful for that 1996 team for getting me to buy a Playoff Yellow Cheesewedge turned Dog Toy turned A/C sealer!

It didn’t make me a Packer fan.. but it sure did SEAL THE DEAL!!

PS
God bless you Rocky (Crotch Monger)!
Rocky would greet you putting his head in between your legs in yiur crotch area. My GF’s thought he was adorable!
Great story! " What you have is a Seal Here and a Seal Here and you run this A/C... IN THE ALLEY. "