What is your biggest concern... 2007/08 Season.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The one aspect of the 2007/08 Packers I just can not get fired up about is the Running Game.

I am so sorry, I have tried, I have looked at the positives but I just feel at this time it will be the biggest weakness in this team because with out a go to back who is proven Brett will panic.

I think the O-Line will be better and work together better as a team, but not enough to overcome the lack of proven talent we have in the backfield.

A running game by contribution can work but the challenge I have with that hope is that Brett will not have the patience to let it happen.

We all know that Brett will get pissed if the running game is not working and start to force things which will lead to you all know what.

This is my biggest concern going into 2007/08

What is your biggest concern??????

R.P.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we have two pairs of fresh legs back there,

Morency is going to get the nod at starting and needs to step up and prove he is starting material.

I don't think some people here realize his potential, he has great talent and I think he can do it.

With Brandon Jackson to take some of the load we could have a fierceful RB duo when they both settle down a bit. Look for the Packers running game to catch on as the season wears and tears. If it doesn't go good early, don't think about it, it will come.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
The one aspect of the 2007/08 Packers I just can not get fired up about is the Running Game.

I am so sorry, I have tried, I have looked at the positives but I just feel at this time it will be the biggest weakness in this team because with out a go to back who is proven Brett will panic.

I think the O-Line will be better and work together better as a team, but not enough to overcome the lack of proven talent we have in the backfield.

A running game by contribution can work but the challenge I have with that hope is that Brett will not have the patience to let it happen.

We all know that Brett will get pissed if the running game is not working and start to force things which will lead to you all know what.

R.P.

Favre getting hurt, and the running game. Brandon Jackson was never a full time starter in college, and yet the packers look for him to make a huge contribution in 2007. I just don't no if B-Jack has the tools to even be a decent #2 back. Jackson seems about the same type of player as Tony Fisher was for the Packers

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
obviously you have never seen Brandon Jackson play or know anything about him.

Tony Fisher never put up anything even near what Jackson did in college. They are not similar in any way, not in runningstyle or skills.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

R.P.

Favre getting hurt, and the running game. Brandon Jackson was never a full time starter in college, and yet the packers look for him to make a huge contribution in 2007. I just don't no if B-Jack has the tools to even be a decent #2 back. Jackson seems about the same type of player as Tony Fisher was for the Packers

I'm sure you can find many +'s and -'s about almost any player drafted if you dig deep enough; however, I read from more than one source that Jackson has "Ahman Green" type skills. Wouldn't it be awesome if he turned out to be a younger, more explosive, HEALTHIER version of Ahman Green?

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
For whatever reason, I'm not very worried about the running game. Green was great, but it just didn't seem like he was fresh enough anymore and seemed to be injury prone. However, it would have been nice to hang on to him for one more season and bring about the backups better. I really think the competition in the backfield will yield as good of a running game if not better then last year. Although, it certainly could be better then that.

I'm feeling decent about the offensive line. I think they will do a decent job this year, allowing the running game to open up. My biggest concerns, as always, are injuries, our defensive secondary, and receivers/tight ends. Wow, that's a significant concern, no? I mean, take away Driver or Jennings, or god help both of them, and we're in serious trouble, especially with a par back-field.

I'd like to see better depth in the defensive secondary and receiving options. I really think Robinson will at least pull some coverage off the # 1 and 2 receivers when he comes back. In the meantime, if Ferguson and Franks could step it up for at least this season, I think we're in pretty damn good shape!!

GO PACK!!

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
obviously you have never seen Brandon Jackson play or know anything about him.

Tony Fisher never put up anything even near what Jackson did in college. They are not similar in any way, not in runningstyle or skills.

Fishers stats
Fisher's Career Statistics G-GS TC Yds. Avg. TD LG
1998 9-0 18 75 4.2 0 12
1999 12-12 156 783 5.0 5 55
2000 11-5 132 607 4.6 6 49
2001 9-4 78 384 4.9 4 55
TOTAL 41-21 384 1849 4.8 15 55
Jackson stats

2004 10-0 85 390 6 24
2005 9-2 18 52 0 10
2006 14-9 188 989 8 40

both guys were part-time starters, who don't have breakaway speed and can catch the ball

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
Raider Pride said:

R.P.

I'm sure you can find many +'s and -'s about almost any player drafted if you dig deep enough; however, I read from more than one source that Jackson has "Ahman Green" type skills. Wouldn't it be awesome if he turned out to be a younger, more explosive, HEALTHIER version of Ahman Green?

I just don't agree. Amahn Green was a stud out of college. I think he had like 4% body fat, and a sub 4.4 40 time. Green , even last year, could take it all the way, break a play wide open and run 90 yards with it. Brandon Jackson does not have the breakaway speed that Green had. Here is jackson's highlight reel. I just see guys running him down in the open field.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7LqfRdnT0I

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SS for sure. Hopefully fierce competition forces someone to step up, because it's a 4 horse race with none of the horses looking better than mediocre so far.

Reaction score
I'm most worried about the WR group.

Last year, I think we were really hurt by the fact that no WR was able to make the #3 spot his own. Jennings should improve, but we still desperately need a #3 WR that can add about 500 receiving yards and about 5 TDs. Last year, stats showed that something like 8 of Favre's TDs came inside the 20. We desperately need a WR to emerge to take the pressure off of Driver in the redzone; Lord knows it'd be foolish to pin our hopes on TEs.

There is a ton of talent, but little to no experience:
- Martin showed something last year, but it was in week 16. Before that, he was non-existent and I have to wonder why he didn't emerge before the Bears game in week 17.
- Ferggie is injury prone. I had hopes for him, but the moment I read "Fergueson sat out minicamp with an injury", I lost all hope. He is injury prone, and isn't going to change now.
- Jones is a rookie, and he'll have a steep enough learning curve in front of him. I'm cautious as to how much he can pick up in a short period of time, because he has the exact skills we need for a #3 WR. Problem is, rookie WRs often don't produce the best of stats in year 1. Here's hoping lightning strikes twice in one place with Jones being as good as Jennings was early on.
- Clowney is fast, and not much else. If history shows that rookie WRs struggle in year 1, it is even more unkind to speed demons like Clowney.
- Holiday has talent, but once again how much can you expect from a man that is only in his second season as a NFL WR after being a college QB? I think he has potential, but still has too many rough edges.
- K-Rob will have been away from football for a long time. I'd like to think he'll step up, but he isn't going to come back right away in week 3, without missing a step.

We desperately need another weapon to emerge, along with Jennings being consistent year-round. We have talent, but the problem is the experience. I'm not sold on our young talent maturing fast enough to fix our WR problem.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest concern with the 2007/2008 season is that the team may not "improve from within" as TT & MM had hoped and we're left with basically the same average team we had last year, able to compete with the bad teams but over-matched against the good teams.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to say my biggest concern is the O-line.
If these young guys haven't improved as much as we all hope, or are victims of the dreaded sophomore slump, things could look real ugly at the beginning of the season.

Cliftons knees are always a concern, and if he goes down then what!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Manuel. He was a weak link, and i hope either he or someone else steps up.

Oh....and Pyledriver returning here! :thumbsup: :rotflmao:

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
O-LINE, O-LINE, O-LINE.

a good o-line makes decent RB's f'n stars, a dominant running game makes a decent offense great.

it all starts and ends with the o-line.

o-line.

Packula

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Running game (both O-Line and the entire backfield).

Fullback is even weaker than running back.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm most concerned about the offensive line. Last year we max protected a lot, and those training wheels need to come off this year for the Packers to take the next step. How much better will Brett be if those extra blockers were running routes? It'll spread the defense out a bit more, and in turn will open things up for the running game.

Members online

Latest posts