What is your biggest concern... 2007/08 Season.

Reaction score
My biggest concern with the 2007/2008 season is that the team may not "improve from within" as TT & MM had hoped and we're left with basically the same average team we had last year, able to compete with the bad teams but over-matched against the good teams.

Lare, I'd think a more pressing concern would be that we don't "improve from within" to a satisfactory level. I mean it is bound to happen that the youngsters will be better, but I get the sense that Ted is expecting significant improvement for them to have a real shot of just contending.

While I don't think it is wrong for him to expect improvement from the younger players returning, I seem to be leaning more and more to the thought process that pinning your hopes on younger players improving a significant deal might not have been the wisest thing for Ted to pin all his hopes on.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here I go with my "broken record" theory...as always, IMO, the ability of our OL to handle the tough DLs in our division. If our lightweights can move their heavyweights, the season will be joyous to watch. The RBs will shine, Brett can feel less pressure to blow things up, and all's well with the (football) world. We all saw how poorly James did with the sad OL of the Cardinals last year. We'll see Peterson on his back alot at the LOS if the Vikes OL can't get the job done. Lombardi was so old-school, but his belief in the necessity of great OL was absolute. No one could argue that he was wrong. Our OL is young, to be sure. But that's a two edged sword. It could be great for a long time or merely mediocre for just as long. Therein lies our future. Reggie Bush is probably the best natural RB of our time. But even he needs a couple blocks to clear the way. In short, Morency/Jackson are not the most important here...those 5 grunts ahead of them are. All my hopes rest on them.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here I go with my "broken record" theory...as always, IMO, the ability of our OL to handle the tough DLs in our division. If our lightweights can move their heavyweights, the season will be joyous to watch. The RBs will shine, Brett can feel less pressure to blow things up, and all's well with the (football) world. We all saw how poorly James did with the sad OL of the Cardinals last year. We'll see Peterson on his back alot at the LOS if the Vikes OL can't get the job done. Lombardi was so old-school, but his belief in the necessity of great OL was absolute. No one could argue that he was wrong. Our OL is young, to be sure. But that's a two edged sword. It could be great for a long time or merely mediocre for just as long. Therein lies our future. Reggie Bush is probably the best natural RB of our time. But even he needs a couple blocks to clear the way. In short, Morency/Jackson are not the most important here...those 5 grunts ahead of them are. All my hopes rest on them.

here, here.

or hear, hear...or read, read.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trying to figure out if the Popcorn in the boxes I get can be mixed in with the microwave popping corn and if my drunk friends will notice... especially late in the 4th quarter and if the game is rather boring...

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:

here, here.

or hear, hear...or read, read.

and history shows that the greatest improvement an offensive lineman will make is in the second year of starting after all the learning/ applying/ technique issues become second nature.

Offensive lineman will most often show MORE IMPROVEMENT in their second year than in any other year in their careers. This is by general consensus of NFL offensive coaches thru experience.

It seems to follow what we saw with Clifton and Tausher who first came on in 2000. It was a rough start (like '06), a good finish (like '06) and the whole unit was very good the following year.

They have been consistantly solid ever since. Remember these two had to go thru some tecnique learning curve issues as well. They were asked to learn some stuff that was not second nature to what they knew in the past.

My concern is injuries and especially multiple injuries at the same position which can really affect the overall play. Those are the types of things that can really hurt a team. You can only get so deep.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the B Jack video, I see a runner making a lot of guys miss and breaking a lot of tackles. His first cut looks good for our "one cut" system.

For the whole team... I think our O line will be better than last year, same with the receivers and secondary.

I think the big question is our special teams. The field position game is key, and without a special teams game that can deliver, that will be the difference between winning those two more games, hence the play offs as well.

I think the whole team is going to be good enough and that our special teams play is going to make or break us. (specifically kick/punt coverage, both ways). Our field goal unit is good.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point on the special teams Timmons. They have been bad for too many years. Hopefully some of the new guys can help make them "special" again.

Latest posts