What is the offseason "MVP" move in your opinion for this upcoming season?

Reaction score
You're thinking of David Moore - emergency stop gap last year that attempted to help. Coincidentally he was just arrested for drug and weapons charges July 4th in North Texas.
David Moore? North Texas?
That putz got caught? He told me his name was Gilbert! :whistling:

Reaction score
To be fair he never had the time to showcase what he might have been...all signs point towards his health will be there and another chance.

I personally am intrigued to see if Tyler Goodson and BJ Baylor the two UDFA running back pick ups get chances to possibly return. Goodson has the speed at nearly 4.4 flat but the dude accelerates very quickly with elite 10 yard split of 1.51 plus explosiveness is illustrated in his broad and vertical both above 8.00s in RAS
I’m not sure this will happen. But I wonder if they would ever use Christian Watson on KR?
Maybe too much risk idk.
I bet he’d be good though. If he beats you to the corner that kid is gone bye bye!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're thinking of David Moore - emergency stop gap last year that attempted to help. Coincidentally he was just arrested for drug and weapons charges July 4th in North Texas.
Yeah but he was in Texas, so it's ok........

D

Deleted member 6794

Most SB champions have one exceptional unit - O or D - but STs is almost always strong.

I don't believe the Packers need a strong special teams unit to win a Super Bowl but just one that won't end up costing them any games.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ST gaffes cost us a trip to 1 super bowl. Historically horrendous ST's cost us another chance to play for one. Just be average and we likely have at least 2 more super bowl appearances at the very least.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe the Packers need a strong special teams unit to win a Super Bowl but just one that won't end up costing them any games.
Yeah that's true. Sure it would be great if they could develop a punt return game to improve field position, but at this point, I'd be happy to not see the boneheaded mistakes they've been making. Kind of like the Hypocratic Oath for doctors - "First, do no harm."

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ST gaffes cost us a trip to 1 super bowl. Historically horrendous ST's cost us another chance to play for one. Just be average and we likely have at least 2 more super bowl appearances at the very least.
Yeah you might be right. I think of the Seahag NFCCG in 2014 when Bostic gave the ball to Seattle. If the Packers recover that on-sides kick they're in the SB. I don't think it's a big ask of STs to not make mistakes. Just play clean, penalty football. That would have gotten the team past the Niners in January as well and who knows, maybe to the SB. I believe they would have beaten the Rams at Lambeau. Oh well, all in the past.

I don't think Rich Bisaccia will settle for an average unit though. If he could get them to the point where they play clean football, that would be a huge improvement. Get that done, and then look at other ways STs can help the team.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not sure this will happen. But I wonder if they would ever use Christian Watson on KR?
Maybe too much risk idk.
I bet he’d be good though. If he beats you to the corner that kid is gone bye bye!
In another thread I mentioned recently watching the 2009 Packers/Cardinals playoff game. Another interesting nugget that I noticed is that a 2008 second round draft choice named Jordy Nelson was returning kicks in that game.

Yeah, they can put a young fast WR back there if he can find a way to contribute.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In another thread I mentioned recently watching the 2009 Packers/Cardinals playoff game. Another interesting nugget that I noticed is that a 2008 second round draft choice named Jordy Nelson was returning kicks in that game.

Yeah, they can put a young fast WR back there if he can find a way to contribute.
I didn't know Jordy EVER returned a kick. Interesting. I don't know if Watson returned kicks in college. My preference is to use him as a WR only, at least to start. But something tells me Rich Bisaccia is going to be using anyone he wants on STs, and a guy as fast as Watson would make a great gunner as well as returner.

Reaction score
I didn't know Jordy EVER returned a kick. Interesting. I don't know if Watson returned kicks in college. My preference is to use him as a WR only, at least to start. But something tells me Rich Bisaccia is going to be using anyone he wants on STs, and a guy as fast as Watson would make a great gunner as well as returner.
Yep. What I do remember was watching film on Watson as a blocker. He’s surprisingly physical and has A grade effort. What’s impressive is he has the speed to stay with his block and he’s like a pitbull in the Lazard mold. He had 2 KR for TD’s (2020?) and was a honorable mention All-ST Athlete.
I have a feeling we will see more early looks from Watkins, Lazard, Cobb first. Then the next grouping is Amari, Watson, Doubs. That means Christian will have some space to perform on ST if deemed an asset. He’s a very elusive combo of raw speed mixed with great vision and near elite cut moves while in motion. The only question is would they risk injury, but I guess any position has that risk.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. What I do remember was watching film on Watson as a blocker. He’s surprisingly physical and has A grade effort. What’s impressive is he has the speed to stay with his block and he’s like a pitbull in the Lazard mold. He had 2 KR for TD’s (2020?) and was a honorable mention All-ST Athlete.
I have a feeling we will see more early looks from Watkins, Lazard, Cobb first. Then the next grouping is Amari, Watson, Doubs. That means Christian will have some space to perform on ST if deemed an asset. He’s a very elusive combo of raw speed mixed with great vision and near elite cut moves while in motion. The only question is would they risk injury, but I guess any position has that risk.
Good info. I don't think there will be many exemptions for STs play this year. In fact I think the only one id Aaron Rodgers. Everyone, especially the talented players, will be called upon. I think bisaccia knows how to coach his guys for maximal performance along with some tricks to avoid injury. Watson should play a bif=g role there, especially as a rookie.

D

Deleted member 6794

I didn't know Jordy EVER returned a kick. Interesting. I don't know if Watson returned kicks in college.

Watson returned a total of 26 kickoffs for an average of 26.4 yards and two touchdowns in college.

I don't think there will be many exemptions for STs play this year. In fact I think the only one id Aaron Rodgers. Everyone, especially the talented players, will be called upon.

I fully expect some other core players to not receive snaps on special teams as well.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson returned a total of 26 kickoffs for an average of 26.4 yards and two touchdowns in college.

I fully expect some other core players to not receive snaps on special teams as well.
It's good to get some starters involved in STs. The Packers haven't been doing that and it's one reason STs have suffered. Some common sense is required when deciding who to play.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I recall the Holmgren era ST defense for punts and FGs was mostly the regular defense. Swap out a KR for a DB if needed to get Desmond on the field. Made fakes harder to execute.

Reaction score
I recall the Holmgren era ST defense for punts and FGs was mostly the regular defense. Swap out a KR for a DB if needed to get Desmond on the field. Made fakes harder to execute.
Yeah, I do remember Don Beebe making some key blocks on ST for Desmond. That Don was an athletic freak, benching like 25 Reps of 225 and running a 4.21 (4.25 combine). We weren’t afraid to get regulars involved in ST either back then

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
for me the off-season MVP move was re-signing Campbell
I agree. It took GB countless years to find an ILB for today's game (in other words, more than just a tackling machine). Keeping him was and is a very big deal.

Now he's got to repeat, but sometimes a player just finds the right situation and I think that's what happened with Campbell. I think he'll play great football for a number of years - for Green Bay.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree it was an important move to re-sign Campbell.

I went with Bisaccia as in my opinion he has the most potential to improve the team compared to last season though.
Interesting point on Bisaccia and STs. Hell, even if he can get them to stop the mistakes it will be a huge improvement. If he can get something going with the PR unit, that could be huge - in terms of field position and points scored.

Reaction score
I agree it was an important move to re-sign Campbell.

I went with Bisaccia as in my opinion he has the most potential to improve the team compared to last season though.
It’s a huge move. I thinks ST can be underestimated in its effect. It can be somewhat ignored or not emphasized very much. At least it’s underestimated from the angle of what a good ST unit can do to propel enough momentum to win close games.
An occasional FG made that would’ve otherwise been shanked.
A punt that goes for 60 yards and gets no significant return. Also a Punt that goes out of bounds inside the 10 or gets downed inside the 5 yard line
A trick Punt play that results in a new set of downs
An occasion score or turnover

These are just a few off the top of my head. There are many that fall under the radar. How about your return guy takes it 50 yards into scoring territory, but you had a holding call that brings it back and adds a -10 for a 60 yard swing. That one’s my personal favorite :confused:

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would already be fine with special team units that don't end up losing close games.
First, do no harm. From the Hippocratic Oath doctors take. But yeah, I'd be happy with a relatively mistake-free season from STs. Maybe they can get a PR game going. Hopefully Crosby can stay consistent with his kicking with a better holder/snapper. That whole FG unit wasn't very god last year. Blocked kicks, missed kicks. Just get back to mistake-free play.

Reaction score
First, do no harm. From the Hippocratic Oath doctors take. But yeah, I'd be happy with a relatively mistake-free season from STs. Maybe they can get a PR game going. Hopefully Crosby can stay consistent with his kicking with a better holder/snapper. That whole FG unit wasn't very god last year. Blocked kicks, missed kicks. Just get back to mistake-free play.
Too funny. We have been relegated to such an egregiously poor ST expectation that.. we just want them to show up for work! Bahahaha :roflmao:

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I have always wanted at a minimum a ST play that is like Alex Smith at QB.
They don't need to put up Pro Bowl numbers...
or be the one that wins the day....
I want them to not be the reason for the loss, and in the end they have the guts and the balls to fight when on the field.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I have always wanted at a minimum a ST play that is like Alex Smith at QB.
They don't need to put up Pro Bowl numbers...
or be the one that wins the day....
I want them to not be the reason for the loss, and in the end they have the guts and the balls to fight when on the field.
Sums it up pretty well Ty.

Members online

Latest posts