What is MM'S Leash

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have been a passing first offense over the last few years as well but weren't able to perform on a high level when facing good defenses lining up with two high safeties.

Absolutely disagree about McCarthy doing a great job coaching the team for most of last season as well as the start of this one.

The Packers passing offense has had troubles against playoff caliber defenses since losing the 2011 playoff game vs. the Giants. Last season the unit struggled as well scoring only 13 points against the Cardinals before getting lucky on two Hail Mary attempts.

The Patriots lost another two Super Bowls on unlucky bounces during that period as well though.
I'd love to see how other teams do with no TE, an ineffective RB and their 4th, 5th and 6th WR options in the 2nd round of the playoffs. ANd I know this offense struggles against better defenses, it's a part of the game MM was trying to improve and it wasn't as much fun to watch as a fan. The only way to get better is to do it.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Patriots lost another two Super Bowls on unlucky bounces during that period as well though.
I get the Tyree catch in the 1st Super Bowl. That was quite unlucky, but even with that you are talking about an 18-0 team that put up arguably the greatest offensive numbers ever. How do you score just 14 points? Before the game Brady laughed off the idea that they could be held to 17 points and they were held to 14, and didn't get the 2nd touchdown until late. Also, Brady had 29 seconds and 3 timeouts to get a field goal. Lets not forget that.

In the 2nd one, I'm not sure which unlucky bounce you are referring to unless I forgot something. But Brady and company had every opportunity to win that one as well and failed. Also had the ball with around a minute and a timeout in that game as well. Now to be fair there were a couple of drops on that drive, but he ended up getting the 1st down anyway.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And shouldn't have won SB 49 if Pete Carroll doesn't make the dumbest play call in the history of the SB.
I have always thought that the amount of criticism that Carrol took for that was overblown, but I agree with your point as it applies to comparing Bellichick's and McCarthy's leashes.

D

Deleted member 6794

ANd I know this offense struggles against better defenses, it's a part of the game MM was trying to improve and it wasn't as much fun to watch as a fan. The only way to get better is to do it.

As I've mentioned before McCarthy has tried to improve against two deep safety looks since the 2011 playoff loss to the Giants and it took him until three weeks ago to finally get it done.

In the 2nd one, I'm not sure which unlucky bounce you are referring to unless I forgot something.

I think it was Manningham who got lucky catching an important ball on the sideline on the Giants decisive drive.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I think it was Manningham who got lucky catching an important ball on the sideline on the Giants decisive drive.
Yeah I remember that one. But that was also a perfectly thrown ball and took a lot of skill and concentration to bring that ball in with full control and get both feet in bounds. That was one of the best throws I've ever seen.

Sorry for playing devil's advocate, but it's not in me to give Brady more credit than necessary. ;)

He's great, but he's failed several times as well. I'm just hoping that Rodgers can get us back to a couple more Super Bowls before all is said and done and remain unblemished. That would be special.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I have always thought that the amount of criticism that Carrol took for that was overblown, but I agree with your point as it applies to comparing Bellichick's and McCarthy's leashes.
It was pure idiocy. Lynch ran for the go ahead touchdown against us in the NFCCG, a play that still gives me nightmares. And right before the final play call in the Super Bowl, he ran for 4 yards from the 5 to the 1 yard line. They have plenty of time and a timeout, you have to give that ball to Lynch. Especially on 2nd down.

I'll never get over it.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love if MM and Mike Tomlin both got axed and Mike Tomlin became our HC. But that probably will never happen..so, I'll settle for Sean Payton getting axed and coming to Green Bay as OC and MM snd Bennett not having those roles at all.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I would love if MM and Mike Tomlin both got axed and Mike Tomlin became our HC. But that probably will never happen..so, I'll settle for Sean Payton getting axed and coming to Green Bay as OC and MM snd Bennett not having those roles at all.
Another meltdown on the defensive side and I will be ready to call for Capers to go. Inexcusable what happened in the last 2 playoff losses.

D

Deleted member 6794

Another meltdown on the defensive side and I will be ready to call for Capers to go. Inexcusable what happened in the last 2 playoff losses.

I'm not sure the meltdowns are on Capers though as the defense played extremely well for most of those games.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure the meltdowns are on Capers though as the defense played extremely well for most of those games.[/

True to an extent...but this goes back to what I said a couple weeks ago. They can't close out anyone good when the game is on the line. Those playoff loses are just an example. Last week is just an example. To not have any help in the middle of the field and allow a wr to match up against a lb? They allowed Atlanta to not only milk the clock, but score to win the game was hard to watch. Its like the falcons knew they would score a TD, and in no hurry to give Rodgers the ball back with a lot of time. Inexcusable. One of those vintage defensive meltdowns we've seen over the years. Healthy or NOT.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with most of Rodell's post,the last 2 sentences sealed the Winner rating for me. Groundhog Day with this defense and the game on the line against a better than average offense. They need that killer,go for the jugular mentality and execute

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I agree with most of Rodell's post,the last 2 sentences sealed the Winner rating for me. Groundhog Day with this defense and the game on the line against a better than average offense. They need that killer,go for the jugular mentality and execute

Most offensive coordinators should know that when the game is on the line Capers is going to play a zone defense in hopes that a 3 man rush with the occasional blitz can get the job done. Look at the film. Ryan was allowed to **** and donk his team down the field to an easy touchdown to steal a victory. The 2nd half against the Lions...we won the game but he went straight conservator mode along with MM after half time.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True to an extent...but this goes back to what I said a couple weeks ago. They can't close out anyone good when the game is on the line. Those playoff loses are just an example. Last week is just an example. To not have any help in the middle of the field and allow a wr to match up against a lb? They allowed Atlanta to not only milk the clock, but score to win the game was hard to watch. Its like the falcons knew they would score a TD, and in no hurry to give Rodgers the ball back with a lot of time. Inexcusable. One of those vintage defensive meltdowns we've seen over the years. Healthy or NOT.
Yes, they should have doubled the guy guy in the middle and left the best receiver on the league one on one. Lol. This guy thinks he knows football

Reaction score
I have a hunch he's gone if they miss the playoffs. Can't see Murphy risking empty seats and apathy next season.
I don't have a problem with that. Don't get me wrong I'm not an MM hater and I will always be thankful for 2010. But there is no excuse for the playoff shortcomings since and missing the playoffs this year with the favorable schedule we have, none whatsoever. Sometimes it's just time for a change

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Game on the line and 3 man rush, clean house, it's overdue, and TT along with them. Is it just me or are we smaller at all line spots then the rest of the league?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My patience is definitely wearing thin with MM.

Going back to Week 7 last year when things all started to go wrong, we are a befuddling 8-10 in our last 18 games, 9-11 in our last 20 if you count playoffs.

Twenty games coach has had to figure out what's going wrong. And yet for the most part, we deal with the same deficiencies, week after week after week.

Blame the players for not executing all you want, but we're not getting 53 new players, we're stuck with the ones we've got.

At what point are we allowed to start demanding some degree of accountability here? 2 seasons? 40 games?

We have an offense that has been mostly terrible in the last year, and a defense that has some good moments but can almost always be counted on to fail when the chips are down in the 4th quarter or OT. How long is this status quo acceptable for?

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My patience is definitely wearing thin with MM.

Going back to Week 7 last year when things all started to go wrong, we are a befuddling 8-10 in our last 18 games, 9-11 in our last 20 if you count playoffs.

Twenty games coach has had to figure out what's going wrong. And yet for the most part, we deal with the same deficiencies, week after week after week.

Blame the players for not executing all you want, but we're not getting 53 new players, we're stuck with the ones we've got.

At what point are we allowed to start demanding some degree of accountability here? 2 seasons? 40 games?

We have an offense that has been mostly terrible in the last year, and a defense that has some good moments but can almost always be counted on to fail when the chips are down in the 4th quarter or OT. How long is this status quo acceptable for?

We'll see I think you actually answered your own question here.

How many times have we seen the Packers defense get obliterated in big games over the years, or totally fail us in the 4th quarter or OT. A bunch, especially in the playoffs. I'm sure we all remember those... And yet despite this Dom has survived. TT will ride with MM just like MM has with Dom

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, Mike McCarthy is a great head coach. If he were fired at the end of the year, teams would bend over backwards to get him.
Well, with the trend of Yoga, of course they would.

Anyway, they can have our overrated coach.
Anyone got any numbers of other teams we can call to dump him so he can take them to losing playoff after playoff?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since the SB run.
2009/10 playoffs: Completely gashed by the Cardinal offense. It seemed every Cardinal drive went for a score. In the end an overtime loss and an eye popping 51 points allowed.

2012/13 playoffs: A historically bad defensive game where we were completely obliterated by the 49ers offense. Colin K ran for around 200 yards on his own.

2014/15 playoffs: After playing great D for 55 minutes, the defense inexplicably completely folded up the tent and was manhandled by Seattle, giving up 3 TDs in just minutes to blow a 19-7 lead and a spot in the Super Bowl.

2015/16 playoffs: After decent defense most of the game, the Packers D once again took only plays to immediately give the game away on a quick OT touchdown to once again end the season on a defensive choke.

This is without even mentioning the numerous regular season meltdowns like today, or the inexplicable breakdowns in the 2 minute drill like the ends of the first half today and against Dallas, or just plain unreal plays allowed like the Hail Mary to end the half against the Giants in the 2011/12 playoffs.

I mean yes, obviously the players are failing to execute in these situations, but how many billions of times do they need to 'fail to execute' before we look at the common denominator and realize that the NFL game passed Dom Capers by long ago, and younger, more innovative and adaptive coaches are running circles around him in crunch time?

D

Deleted member 6794

Most offensive coordinators should know that when the game is on the line Capers is going to play a zone defense in hopes that a 3 man rush with the occasional blitz can get the job done.

Yesterday Capers blitzed on third-and-10 with the game on the line. Unfortunately Clinton-Dix missed a sack on Luck. Nothing the defensive coordinator can do about it.

Yes, they should have doubled the guy guy in the middle and left the best receiver on the league one on one. Lol. This guy thinks he knows football

There's no way Ryan should have ended up covering Sanu though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yesterday Capers blitzed on third-and-10 with the game on the line. Unfortunately Clinton-Dix missed a sack on Luck. Nothing the defensive coordinator can do about it.

There's no way Ryan should have ended up covering Sanu though.
your right, he shouldn't have, but he was and sometimes that happens to every single defense in the league when you're facing a potent passing attack. You can't have Deion Sanders covering everyone.

just like last night, everyone that complains incessantly is going to complain that the middle of the field was left open, and half of them are going to say he only rushed 3 guys, and they other half are going to complain because they completed a pass in the middle of the field. Neither group having a clue why, or what they're complaining about, they just complain.

I'm frustrated with this group too. It's like they can only play 2 our of 4 downs. On those 2 they look like world beaters, on 3rd or 4th they give it up in chunks it seems like. You couldn't give Clinton Dix any more of a free shot at a QB than he had last night to give our offense a chance to win it with plenty of time and he completely whiffed.

D

Deleted member 6794

your right, he shouldn't have, but he was and sometimes that happens to every single defense in the league when you're facing a potent passing attack. You can't have Deion Sanders covering everyone.

You couldn't give Clinton Dix any more of a free shot at a QB than he had last night to give our offense a chance to win it with plenty of time and he completely whiffed.

I'm not blaming Capers for Ryan ending up covering Sanu. In my opinion Hyde should have run with him.

Capers came up with a perfect call on third-and-10 yesterday but Clinton-Dix didn't make the play.

smacker

Smacker = Smack talking Packer Fan
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Mondio, post: 686497, member: 10441"

The only way to get better at that game is to line up and do it, and he challenged them every week.[/QUOTE]
Which makes me ask the question, has MM lost this team?

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoever says MM is too stubborn to change didn't listen to him before halftime. New code word is "energy" not pad level. Even Rodgers is using it now :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts