What is MM'S Leash

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My main issue isn't that there are a ton of short passes, short passes are fine in moderation. I'm just trying to break through this barrier that some seem to have that McCarthy is actually helping the offense and the Alex Smith style of the Packer's offense is the result of stale offensive design. The Packers have an average to above-average receiving group, an elite pass blocking offensive line and a top-5 QB in the NFL yet the passing game doesn't scare anyone. I read continually about how the defense is letting the team down and the receivers aren't great and Rodgers is forcing the ball but not many pointing out that McCarthy is doing a far worse job on offense than Capers is doing on defense.
I think there is plenty of blame to go around. I truly think Rodgers is part of the problem. I don't think he likes making quick decisions that he perceives to be risky. Therefore he dances around in the pocket waiting for a receiver to break wide open. Naturally, for this to happen, it will more often than not, occur downfield where the throw is by its very nature more difficult to make, and more difficult to catch. Furthermore defenses have figured Rodgers out; knowing his proclivities they play a 2 high safety look that makes these throws even more difficult. I think the Packers struggles in the red zone are an extension of this. As the field shortens, Rodgers is forced to make throws he doesn't like to have to make. You will often see him attempting a fade to the back of the end zone which is safe as far as interceptions are concerned, but difficult to throw and catch. When he has had recent success in the end zone, it has often been on quick passes in traffic. He can make those throws probably better than most, but he doesn't like to. McCarthy may, at some point, need to be replaced, but that will only be helpful if he is replaced by someone that can reign in Aaron. Rodgers has been, and still is a supreme talent, but he can also be his own worst enemy.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AR needs to be fixed he's not really going through progressions, he just going through the look off motions. MM is not helping him see the field at all, MM has lost the energy of this team MM has lost his leadership of this team. Devonte Adams was killing Davis#21 on the colts, AR never went his way until Davis#21 got hurt and Adams scored. Janis burnt the Hell out of davis#21 on that deep ball yes he missed it but he couldnt of been no worse then RR being on the field and getting multiple looks, RR I dont think could play on another nfl team. Somehow MM makes bad teams look rejuvenated. The defense is so SOFT besides BRICE, hes the only in the secondary that wants to lay someone out. The team look like their out there just collecting a check.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than retiring on his own he's not going anywhere. It would take a complete collapse and his team walking out on him, and I do not see this team heading in that direction at all.

Agreed, BUT he's going to be forced to make significant changes to both the offensive and defensive coaching staffs. I suspect Dom's tenure in GB is at a close and I wouldn't be surprised to see a new OC, preferably someone who runs more of a conventional WCO. MM's scheme has failed and we need to see him take a more traditional approach to the HC position, no more calling his own plays. Rodgers will spend the offseason getting used to more timing routes and quick hitters. Defensively we need a more practical DC than Capers. As for the position coaches everything else is anyone's guess.

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is being wasted in a WCO. Time for something new. We are team that thrives on the spread offense. Why try to maintain a WCO?

Jmurray

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, Mike McCarthy is a great head coach. If he were fired at the end of the year, teams would bend over backwards to get him. I'll always be thankful for SB 45.

With all this said, how long do y'all think the leash is. Basically what would it take for him to be terminated? Missing playoffs? Early exit? Choke job in another championship type game? I'm not going out of my way to advocate his dismissal. Simply curious.
Great coaches don't lose the NFC Championship game in 2014 in a manner GB did. They also don't lose many home games against inferior competition. I think it is going to come down to Big Ted - and whether he thinks MM can get the Packers back on track towards a SB - my hope is a 6-10 or 7-9 season with a few more games like yesterday would get the job done and force Ted's hand to make a move before Rodgers is too old.

Jmurray

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If McCarthy continues to not reach the NFCCG or miss the playoffs entirely, I envision him being released by the new GM when Thompson retires within the next few years. I do not think McCarthy (or Capers) will be released as long as Thompson is the GM.
that is my biggest fear.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would love if MM and Mike Tomlin both got axed and Mike Tomlin became our HC. But that probably will never happen..so, I'll settle for Sean Payton getting axed and coming to Green Bay as OC and MM snd Bennett not having those roles at all.

So you would like us to get rid of a coach that since 2007 has made the playoffs 8 out of nine times to replace him with Tomlin, who has made the playoffs 6 out of 9 times or Payton, who has made the playoffs 4 out of 8 times ( banned for the Bountygate for 1 year). Tomlin has Big Ben, Payton has Brees. Both potential HOF QB's. Yet you would take them over the only guy other than Belichick that has made the playoffs 7 straight years. That is just rediculous.

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This article is not even current it is dated today, and yet nothing the writer talks about is accurate. It talks about the Packers having a great running back in Eddy Lacy.... ? hmm.. The first paragraph complains that Rodgers isn't taking any shots downfield.... I will admit to not following a lot of the current sports writers ... but while I don't know who this guy is... he is not watching Packer games. Rodgers has been looking very mobile to me... being the Packer's leading rusher in some games.. he has been dancing all over the backfield all season, and as was discussed in several threads here... he has been taking too many shots downfield when the most success has been gleaned from the short passing game.

You don't like that article huh? How about this one:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...t-seat/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

The point is it just isn't fan talk anymore. McCarthy's job security is officially a media topic.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You don't like that article huh? How about this one:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...t-seat/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs&yptr=yahoo

The point is it just isn't fan talk anymore. McCarthy's job security is officially a media topic.
Ok .... so... your point is.... people are disapointed in the Packer's performance? What a surprise. So am I. No I didn't like the first article. It was written by somebody with zero knowledge of what is going on in Green Bay. I find the second article to be only mildly better simply because it doesn't really say much. We can all listen to Aaron and decide what it means, and I don't disagree that McCarthy's job is not guaranteed. While I think Aaron Rodgers is as much to blame as anyone for the problems with the Packers's offense, I understand that if someone has to answer for it, it is the head coach. However, the Packers are currently 4-4 with 8 games to play. I plan to see where this season ends before I make any decisions about what I think should happen. Am I happy with the 4 losses? of course not, but I still plan to hope that the Packers can pull it together, get healthy, and make a good playoff run. If not, well we can discuss that at the appropriate time.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers is being wasted in a WCO. Time for something new. We are team that thrives on the spread offense. Why try to maintain a WCO?

The Packers successfully used spread formations in a West Coast offense for 2 1/2 weeks before abandoning it for some reason against the Colts.

So you would like us to get rid of a coach that since 2007 has made the playoffs 8 out of nine times to replace him with Tomlin, who has made the playoffs 6 out of 9 times or Payton, who has made the playoffs 4 out of 8 times ( banned for the Bountygate for 1 year). Tomlin has Big Ben, Payton has Brees. Both potential HOF QB's. Yet you would take them over the only guy other than Belichick that has made the playoffs 7 straight years. That is just rediculous.

If the Packers offense doesn't significantly improve over the course of this season it's time to move on from McCarthy. No matter how much success he has had in the past there's no excuse for a unit being quarterbacked by Rodgers struggling for 1 1/2 years.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers successfully used spread formations in a West Coast offense for 2 1/2 weeks before abandoning it for some reason against the Colts.
The only thing I can figure is they decided the Colts were bad enough in the secondary, they were going to take advantage of it. The offense did look different than it had the previous 2 weeks for the most part, but I wouldn't say it was the same as it was the first few weeks of the season either. But as is typical with this team, it's always something. Rodgers again passing over WR's that are open and I know he wasn't sacked 10 times or anything, but it seemed like our oline was letting pressure thru pretty quickly quite often on Sunday. It wasn't consistent or crushing, but it was enough to make him move and disrupt any timing offense we may have been trying to run

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Face it the Packers under MM are physically and especially mentally weak. They never play four quarters. The defense chokes and the offense is predictable. While they have made the playoffs the past seven years most any coach could do that with AR as their qb. In the playoffs they have been mentally weak and outcoached. I knew Seattle was going to fake the field goal as a fan, you would think the coaching staff would have figured out the situation. The Packers have now lost 11 of their last 20 games. That's a large enough sample size to indicate the franchise is in steep decline. I don't buy the excuse of too many injuries. In fact the coaching staff should take much of the blame. The Packers face an injury epidemic nearly every year. They have a serious problem with conditioning or TT is just drafting injury prone players. The Packers have more neck injuries than anybody by a wide margin. The players also share some of the blame for the franchise's softness. Mathews and Cook and plenty of other guys sit in the tub week after week with no urgency to suit up. I agree it would take mutiple seasons of 10 loss seasons for MM to be canned. That just shows that the lack of accountability under Murphy and TT.

Jmurray

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there is plenty of blame to go around. I truly think Rodgers is part of the problem. I don't think he likes making quick decisions that he perceives to be risky. Therefore he dances around in the pocket waiting for a receiver to break wide open. Naturally, for this to happen, it will more often than not, occur downfield where the throw is by its very nature more difficult to make, and more difficult to catch. Furthermore defenses have figured Rodgers out; knowing his proclivities they play a 2 high safety look that makes these throws even more difficult. I think the Packers struggles in the red zone are an extension of this. As the field shortens, Rodgers is forced to make throws he doesn't like to have to make. You will often see him attempting a fade to the back of the end zone which is safe as far as interceptions are concerned, but difficult to throw and catch. When he has had recent success in the end zone, it has often been on quick passes in traffic. He can make those throws probably better than most, but he doesn't like to. McCarthy may, at some point, need to be replaced, but that will only be helpful if he is replaced by someone that can reign in Aaron. Rodgers has been, and still is a supreme talent, but he can also be his own worst enemy.
I think that was Sherman's downfall - the inability or reluctance to reign Brett Favre in.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
H

HardRightEdge

The only thing I can figure is they decided the Colts were bad enough in the secondary, they were going to take advantage of it.
That is evidently the case in constantly going deep and thereby not controlling the ball, and that miscalculation must fall to the coach. In the previous 2 1/2 games the plan was to use West Coast-style short routes to control the ball, so the problem is not Rodgers following a new plan.

Then, on the few underneath routes they decided the Colts SS could be had, forgetting that it was Richard Rodgers trying to do the "having". RR cannot outrun anybody; he's yet to break a tackle in his time in the league. Good hands and good routes are not enough when the other receiving dimensions are so poor. In the earlier games Montgomery was used as a TE receiving proxy out of the backfield while R. Rodgers was ignored.

Why so stubbornly go back to an old formula that has not been working when the more recent formula has been far more successful? Why back-burner an approach that got you league leading 3rd. down conversions and top-of-the-heap time of possession, and so few punts? I could possibly understand it with a QB who's bad in the red zone and needs long strikes. Rodgers has high facility in getting the ball in the end zone from close range...why not run the offense that gets him in position?

Now, McCarthy gets high credit for switching the offense from set-up-the-downfield high gear to ball-control-low-gear with very good results, during halftime no less, in the Dallas game, and again in the 4th. quarter of the Colts game.

Why, oh, why does he bang his head against the wall with a failing formula when the alternative was working so well? You're going to make the opponent try to stop what's been failing rather than make them adjust to what's been working?

My suspension of disbelief is over.

The only bright side I can find is McGinn calling into question McCarthy's viability. That could signal 4 straight wins. ;)

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree with their decision to do it, other than they know what their bread and butter is now, but don't want to put it all on tape before the games really matter and figured the Colts were a perfect team to do "something else" with. I really don't know, but if they don't start winning some now, the games are never going to really matter for this team this year. I don't really know why they chose this game plan.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't agree with their decision to do it, other than they know what their bread and butter is now, but don't want to put it all on tape before the games really matter and figured the Colts were a perfect team to do "something else" with.

Unfortunately if the Packers offense doesn't significantly improve for the rest of the season the team won't play in any games that really matter.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately if the Packers offense doesn't significantly improve for the rest of the season the team won't play in any games that really matter.
That's what I said "...but if they don't start winning some now, the games are never going to really matter for this team this year." :)

Members online