What is MM'S Leash

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, Mike McCarthy is a great head coach. If he were fired at the end of the year, teams would bend over backwards to get him. I'll always be thankful for SB 45.

With all this said, how long do y'all think the leash is. Basically what would it take for him to be terminated? Missing playoffs? Early exit? Choke job in another championship type game? I'm not going out of my way to advocate his dismissal. Simply curious.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than retiring on his own he's not going anywhere. It would take a complete collapse and his team walking out on him, and I do not see this team heading in that direction at all.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than retiring on his own he's not going anywhere. It would take a complete collapse and his team walking out on him, and I do not see this team heading in that direction at all.

While I tend to agree I also could see TT surprising everyone if Mike ever had a .500 season. Kind of like a recognition that since 2010 he hasn't really done any damage in the playoffs and its the final straw. I don't think it would happen, and quite frankly I can't see a TT/MM led team ever finishing 8-8 in the next 5 years or so, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did that MM would get the ax.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given that we were still 10-6 and won a playoff game last year with all the offensive struggles , one bad year ain't gonna do it.

MM could go 8-8 and miss the playoffs and be fine, IMO. He's got enough leash for that. I think he's be on a shorter one with the potential to lose his job after 2017 if he repeated it again next year, though.

InFamous

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering TT made pretty surprising roster cuts this offseason, I can see him pull the trigger if we miss the playoffs. I would also pull the trigger if we are one and done, but what do I know, I am just an armchair GM. :cool:

D

Deleted member 6794

With all this said, how long do y'all think the leash is. Basically what would it take for him to be terminated? Missing playoffs? Early exit? Choke job in another championship type game? I'm not going out of my way to advocate his dismissal. Simply curious.

I think that finally adapting the offensive scheme towards the strength of the unit as well as the two high safety defensive look the Packers mostly face might have saved McCarthy's job.

If the offense had struggled all season it would have been time to replace him at the end of this season.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If the offense had struggled all season it would have been time to replace him at the end of this season.
I think not. Built in excuses with Jordy not being back 100% and Cook and Lacy being injured. You might want to replace him but TT would give him another year at least .

D

Deleted member 6794

I think not. Built in excuses with Jordy not being back 100% and Cook and Lacy being injured. You might want to replace him but TT would give him another year at least .

The last three weeks have proven that the Packers offense can perform on a high level with several core players not being able to play as long as Rodgers is behind center. If the offense had continued to struggle because of the coaching staff not being able to adjust their scheme it should have resulted in McCarthy getting fired, especially as the unit played poorly for most of 2015 as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last three weeks have proven that the Packers offense can perform on a high level with several core players not being able to play as long as Rodgers is behind center. If the offense had continued to struggle because of the coaching staff not being able to adjust their scheme it should have resulted in McCarthy getting fired, especially as the unit played poorly for most of 2015 as well.
I don't think they played poorly because they were not able to adjust their scheme. I think the past and the present shows they know how to design, run, and call plays. I kn0w i've said it before and some people might think i'm nuts, but I see this organization as a big picture team from top to bottom. It's in everything they do. MM as well as everyone in Packer fan land saw the weakness in this team when we lost in some big and heartbreaking games that resulted in us not going to another super bowl.

The only way to get better at that game is to line up and do it, and he challenged them every week. I think the way this season unfolded so early, it necessitated a shift in that focus. I don't think this was ever about MM not being able to adapt. I think it was a chosen path with dedication to make it happen. Their past and their present show me enough they aren't stupid. Some will call them stubborn, I think dedicated is a better term, but stubborn works too. From their draft and develop philosophy, to how they stick with players they believe has the talent, how they structure contracts, how the promote from within, to how they call an offensive and defensive game.

Early on, when everyone was on Randall and Rollins and we're giving up all those yards. I'm sure some of that was, you're either going to learn how to do it, or learn you're not good enough to think you're good enough to just walk out there and do it. Then they've both been out injured since then, which hurts, but in order for them to get where they need to be, they need to grow, sometimes that gets messy.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think they played poorly because they were not able to adjust their scheme.

It took the Packers offense way too long to figure out how to attack defenses lining up with two high safeties. One might even be inclined to say from the 2011 Giants playoff loss until three weeks ago. That's on the coaching staff.

In addition I'm not convinced McCarthy would have changed the unit's approach without injuries forcing him to.

Viper556

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It took the Packers offense way too long to figure out how to attack defenses lining up with two high safeties. One might even be inclined to say from the 2011 Giants playoff loss until three weeks ago. That's on the coaching staff.

In addition I'm not convinced McCarthy would have changed the unit's approach without injuries forcing him to.

I completely agree. It's like the 2011 playoff loss made them think they needed to become a running team and scared them into trying to be who they weren't all this time. And now that injuries forced them to go back to a passing team the offense is clicking again.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would take consecutive eleven or twelve loss seasons for MM to get the boot. Otherwise, as others said, he controls his and the Packers destiny. He's earned it. Chuck Knoll and many of the great coaches had down years in between Super Bowl stretches. The game hasn't passed this young coach by.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care for his attitude nor his stubborness. He makes things harder than they need to be these days.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that finally adapting the offensive scheme towards the strength of the unit as well as the two high safety defensive look the Packers mostly face might have saved McCarthy's job.

Yeah it took MM a full year to adapt the way Bill Belichick would have at halftime in the first game.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been saying for a while now that things have gotten stale and stagnant here, and both TT and MM should go; time for change.
But with the way change moves in Green Bay- like a glacier- the team would need back to back losing seasons for any change to even be considered.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would take consecutive eleven or twelve loss seasons for MM to get the boot. Otherwise, as others said, he controls his and the Packers destiny. He's earned it. Chuck Knoll and many of the great coaches had down years in between Super Bowl stretches. The game hasn't passed this young coach by.

He's earned what? That's the point of the thread. He's entitled to the job based on one title and several disappointments (I'm obviously one of those who doesn't equate making the playoffs to success) for how long? Certainly the seasons you mention would/should get anyone fired, but how many more early and/or excruciating exits with a competitive team should be allowed?

What indications to you have that he's still a worthy coach, apart from his age?

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I gotta defend McCarthy a little bit here.

He's one of only 2 coaches to actually make the playoffs for 7 straight years, the other obviously being Belichick. And yes I know he has, in my opinion, a top 5 quarterback of all time, certainly no less than top 10, but he has also gotten the team through quite a bit of adversity. 2013, 2015 both very challenging years. Injury to Rodgers, and then obviously the struggles last year. I thought he did as good a coaching job as could be expected.

I think there is something to be said for continuity in the NFL. The Patriots have it with Belichick, and obviously the Packers have it with McCarthy. Two years in a row we have been eliminated in overtime. If anything, changes need to be made on the defensive side of the ball. Clearly not McCarthy's thing.

I think all and all he runs a really good football program, and I think that we should probably be careful what we wish for in wanting him gone.

I mean, let's say we go on another run and win a SB this year. Then what?

Unless you can convince Belichick that Brady is close to the end and he would consider coming here, I don't see the logic in letting go of McCarthy, even with his flaws.

We've been right there with a chance too many times.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Behind the scenes I believe MM's fate is under serious scrutiny, if the label is title town than MM has over used his card he should have by accounts 3SB's under his belt and he has sqoundered those opportunities, going a step further to win games with indecisiveness is in just my opinion wearing thin with his bosses,who themselves are probably feeling heat for the personnel decisions they are responsible for, yes MM should not be on a short lease but a choke collar..

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Do you think he just picked up a offensive game planning for dummies book? He's never had a problem running a passing offense. Even last year in the playoffs, our offense was different than it was much of the year. He didn't just dust off the book then and shelve it for the start of this season.

The regular season is just a run up and preparation for the post season. They use these games as such too, and still get this team to the playoffs every year.

Like every other year before, there will come a time when throwing it 40-50 times a game won't work. This team will need something to fall back on. I believe that's what they were trying to prepare for. You're right though, without injuries we probably wouldn't have seen much change, not until we had to.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta defend McCarthy a little bit here.

He's one of only 2 coaches to actually make the playoffs for 7 straight years, the other obviously being Belichick. And yes I know he has, in my opinion, a top 5 quarterback of all time, certainly no less than top 10, but he has also gotten the team through quite a bit of adversity. 2013, 2015 both very challenging years. Injury to Rodgers, and then obviously the struggles last year. I thought he did as good a coaching job as could be expected.

I think there is something to be said for continuity in the NFL. The Patriots have it with Belichick, and obviously the Packers have it with McCarthy. Two years in a row we have been eliminated in overtime. If anything, changes need to be made on the defensive side of the ball. Clearly not McCarthy's thing.

I think all and all he runs a really good football program, and I think that we should probably be careful what we wish for in wanting him gone.

I mean, let's say we go on another run and win a SB this year. Then what?

Unless you can convince Belichick that Brady is close to the end and he would consider coming here, I don't see the logic in letting go of McCarthy, even with his flaws.

We've been right there with a chance too many times.

I agree and just think this needs to be pointed out. Belichick went 10 years between SB wins. 2004-2014. With the best QB maybe ever. That makes 1 SB win in the last 11 years with the best QB active. Why does he get a pass for wasting a great QB over that time and MM should be fired?

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If McCarthy continues to not reach the NFCCG or miss the playoffs entirely, I envision him being released by the new GM when Thompson retires within the next few years. I do not think McCarthy (or Capers) will be released as long as Thompson is the GM.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I agree and just think this needs to be pointed out. Belichick went 10 years between SB wins. 2004-2014. With the best QB maybe ever. That makes 1 SB win in the last 11 years with the best QB active. Why does he get a pass for wasting a great QB over that time and MM should be fired?
And shouldn't have won SB 49 if Pete Carroll doesn't make the dumbest play call in the history of the SB.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If MM had started with three Lombardis in four years, even I would probably have voted for a longer leash.

D

Deleted member 6794

I completely agree. It's like the 2011 playoff loss made them think they needed to become a running team and scared them into trying to be who they weren't all this time. And now that injuries forced them to go back to a passing team the offense is clicking again.

The Packers have been a passing first offense over the last few years as well but weren't able to perform on a high level when facing good defenses lining up with two high safeties.

2013, 2015 both very challenging years. Injury to Rodgers, and then obviously the struggles last year. I thought he did as good a coaching job as could be expected.

Absolutely disagree about McCarthy doing a great job coaching the team for most of last season as well as the start of this one.

He's never had a problem running a passing offense. Even last year in the playoffs, our offense was different than it was much of the year.

The Packers passing offense has had troubles against playoff caliber defenses since losing the 2011 playoff game vs. the Giants. Last season the unit struggled as well scoring only 13 points against the Cardinals before getting lucky on two Hail Mary attempts.

And shouldn't have won SB 49 if Pete Carroll doesn't make the dumbest play call in the history of the SB.

The Patriots lost another two Super Bowls on unlucky bounces during that period as well though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts