What ever happened to Chuck Cecil ??

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Chuck Cecil was featured on the October 10, 1993 issue of Sports Illustrated with the question: "Is Chuck Cecil Too Vicious for the NFL?"

He is married to author Carrie Cecil. After his playing career ended, he became a coach for the Tennessee Titans (the former Houston Oilers). His current responsibilities are the safeties and nickelbacks.

This is his site

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He never hit as hard as Lott, but he hit hard.

He hit real hard. The S.I. article was hype. In my opinon he was no Ronnie Lott. Lott hit harder than any player I have ever seen this side of the 1970's

Nice of you to point out that the Titans are the former Houston Oilers. Sometimes I forget where a franchise came from and went to.

See.... I have no need to wonder about what city the Packers were from orginally.

Ok.... Shut up about the Raiders moving from Oakland to L.A. to Oakland.

The bottom line is we have Sperbowl Championships in two geographical areas of California.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every game the bridge of his nose was cut open from his helmet slamming into it. Now that's football.

You are right fvre4mvp. He did play the game head first.

In today's N.F.L. that is a hefty fine. The game has changed.

One can not lead with ones head. If Chuck played the way he did "in todays N.F.L." he would hve not played at all. He would have been flagged on every third play, he would have been fined, he would have been cut and called a a thug.

He had his era, So did the rest of them.

And we are talking about most of the old timers.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Every game the bridge of his nose was cut open from his helmet slamming into it. Now that's football.

You are right fvre4mvp. He did play the game head first.

In today's N.F.L. that is a hefty fine. The game has changed.

One can not lead with ones head. If Chuck played the way he did "in todays N.F.L." he would hve not played at all. He would have been flagged on every third play, he would have been fined, he would have been cut and called a a thug.

He had his era, So did the rest of them.

And we are talking about most of the old timers.

You're right RP....I loved Cecil but my son plays DB at a small college and if he ever led with his head down I would rip him. "See the numbers". There were alot of players back then that are fortunate to be walking today. John Lynch was/is the same way.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I was way off when it comes to where Cecil ended up! I heard that he was thrown in jail for hitting a Chicago Bears sweatshirt-wearing pedestrian as they were walking past each other. The pedestrian's head was rolling down the street and eventually a car ran over it, squishing it like a Halloween pumpkin. Anyway, I guess he coaches with the Titans instead.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Off just a tad I would say.... :wtf:

The hardest hitter I ever say was Jack Tatum with the raiders in the 70's. OC's would intentionally not throw over the middle because of him. If I am not mistaken, I believe Jack Tatum is who Ronnie Lott modeled himself after as he grew up.

The bad thing about Tatum? Came from Ohio State

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Off just a tad I would say.... :wtf:

The hardest hitter I ever say was Jack Tatum with the raiders in the 70's. OC's would intentionally not throw over the middle because of him. If I am not mistaken, I believe Jack Tatum is who Ronnie Lott modeled himself after as he grew up.

The bad thing about Tatum? Came from Ohio State

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chuck Cecil was featured on the October 10, 1993 issue of Sports Illustrated with the question: "Is Chuck Cecil Too Vicious for the NFL?"

Great picture, too...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He was a hitter, that's for sure...

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts