What do you guys think the odds are that we let Shields go in FA AND don't sign a big name FA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I can just see it going this way...

We let Shields go (who I think is our one must sign FA) and TT does not go after a difference maker on the defensive side of the ball. Shields' contract would have/should have been anywhere from 5-8 million a year I would assume, if we are not going to pay him, then who? Really, REALLY hope it's not Raji.

Without paying Shields, paying Nelson and Cobb aren't going to be an issue at all. We've already got our big two locked up in Rodgers and Matthews. We would literally have one difference maker on that side of the ball in CM. That's it. Unless he's refusing to go after Shields because he want's to spend that money elsewhere (Byrd/Ward/Orakpo/Etc....) This just doesn't make any sense to me.

It was bad enough trying to fill holes on our D when we needed a FS, ILB and DL... now adding CB to the list? No way you're filling all of these area's through the draft alone. And no way filling one of them through the draft and then bringing in 3 low tier FA's is going to fix it either. I would hope after getting our ***** handed to us the past few years by certain teams in the NFC (who are active in FA in the right way), that he would begin to see this trend...

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We let Shields go (who I think is our one must sign FA) and TT does not go after a difference maker on the defensive side of the ball. Shields' contract would have/should have been anywhere from 5-8 million a year I would assume, if we are not going to pay him, then who? Really, REALLY hope it's not Raji.

Without paying Shields, paying Nelson and Cobb aren't going to be an issue at all. We've already got our big two locked up in Rodgers and Matthews. We would literally have one difference maker on that side of the ball in CM. That's it. Unless he's refusing to go after Shields because he want's to spend that money elsewhere (Byrd/Ward/Orakpo/Etc....) This just doesn't make any sense to me.

It was bad enough trying to fill holes on our D when we needed a FS, ILB and DL... now adding CB to the list? No way you're filling all of these area's through the draft alone. And no way filling one of them through the draft and then bringing in 3 low tier FA's is going to fix it either. I would hope after getting our ***** handed to us the past few years by certain teams in the NFC (who are active in FA in the right way), that he would begin to see this trend...

This was the plan all along. Rosenhaus wasn't going to have him sign anything before testing the market. I still think he's back this is just part of the business... especially dealing with Rosenhaus.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

To be fair, we don't really know how hard our front office pursues free agents. We hear rumors, but we're all too often left without enough information to know just how hard we try and land someone. I agree we should do what we can to retain Shields, and I believe our front office is doing just that. However, deals take two sides to agree, and it's possible Shields wants to test the market to see what his true value is before agreeing to anything with the Packers.

Also, while I agree we're better with Shields than without, we have Hayward and Hyde, plus Tramon Williams, whose game has stepped up quite a bit since his injury. That's a decent core to work around.

I agree this doesn't make much sense, though I feel like this off-season is going to be a bit different than those in the past. We have a TON of cap room already. I think we'll use some of that in free agency.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wouldn't overreact because of a report that was probably leaked by someone in Shields camp. I won't judge TT's offseason moves after at least until the draft because right now we don't have any idea what the team (especially the defense) will look like in Week 1.

D

Deleted member 6794

Also, while I agree we're better with Shields than without, we have Hayward and Hyde, plus Tramon Williams, whose game has stepped up quite a bit since his injury. That's a decent core to work around.

Hayward and Hyde are best suited to play in the slot, if we let Shields walk in free agency we should bring in another starting outside corner.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having to play the Bears (Marshall and Jeffrey) and Lions (Calvin Johnson) twice a year, the last thing the Packers should do is weaken the secondary. Shields is the best player in the secondary and falls right in line with the "draft and develop" philosophy of the Packers. With $33M in cap room, I think it would be a no-brainer to bring him back. I'm hoping this is just a way of gauging market value for Shields. If not, I'm hoping the Packers sign a comparable player who is either a corner or safety.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hayward and Hyde are best suited to play in the slot, if we let Shields walk in free agency we should bring in another starting outside corner.

To be fair, I don't think the term "Letting him walk" relates to this situation, since the office is trying to work out a new deal. That term is better suited to what they did with Woodson last season, where they didn't even offer an extension.

I agree Hayward and Hyde are stronger in the slot than the edge, but that doesn't mean they can't get better on the egde. It also doesn't mean we can't find another outside corner in the draft. I mean, Shields was an undrafted free agent, so I'm sure we can find someone.

And for the record, I hope we re-sign Shields. I agree we're better at the position with him than without. I also think his desire to test free agency is more about him and his agent trying to figure out his value than anything., That said, I think we need more defensive line help than we do defensive back. For my money, that's where I put my emphasis as it relates to building the defense. Games are won and lost in the trenches, and a good pass rush can make the most mediocre secondaries look pretty good.

D

Deleted member 6794

To be fair, I don't think the term "Letting him walk" relates to this situation, since the office is trying to work out a new deal. That term is better suited to what they did with Woodson last season, where they didn't even offer an extension.

No matter what you want to call it, if they can't work out a deal we will have to replace him.

I agree Hayward and Hyde are stronger in the slot than the edge, but that doesn't mean they can't get better on the egde. It also doesn't mean we can't find another outside corner in the draft. I mean, Shields was an undrafted free agent, so I'm sure we can find someone.

Hayward doesn't have the same speed and has shorter arms than Shields, not sure he would be a great fit on the outside.

And for the record, I hope we re-sign Shields. I agree we're better at the position with him than without. I also think his desire to test free agency is more about him and his agent trying to figure out his value than anything., That said, I think we need more defensive line help than we do defensive back. For my money, that's where I put my emphasis as it relates to building the defense. Games are won and lost in the trenches, and a good pass rush can make the most mediocre secondaries look pretty good.

The entire middle of the defense needs to be upgraded, there 's no reason to add another hole on it as well.

OP
OP
98Redbird

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be fair, we don't really know how hard our front office pursues free agents. We hear rumors, but we're all too often left without enough information to know just how hard we try and land someone.

Sparta, you're right on this one... But I guess from a fans perspective, the Marshawn deal left a bad taste in a lot of ppl's mouths when we found out what he actually signed for in Seattle. We don't know what TT offered, but it's a safe bet that it was less than what he went to Seattle for (which from what I remember, wasn't much). It just seems like he's the kind of guy that would go to Jarius Byrd and offer him a deal that averages several million less than market value and expect him to consider the offer. Just to say that he "attempted"...

Playing devils advocate here:

How would you guys feel if we let Shields walk. Signed Byrd or Ward in free agency (at a deal for about 7-8 million a year), and then went with a CB or DL in the first round?

Would that situation sit right with you?

Can't help but realize how much we would have wrapped up in safties if that happened... but it's a passing league I guess.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a tough one...hate to lose the guy but I can't blame Thompson if Shields is trying to get elite CB money...he's a good CB but not elite. The guy isn't shutdown...at least not at this point.

That said, if Shields walks and I don't see any way Raji stays, the Packers will have a ton of money and frankly are going to have to do something in FA to get the 89% requirement (if that number is right). It's gonna get interesting.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted should have extended Sam Shields last year. Right now, letting him walk is the right decision when the price isn't right.

If we lose Shields, which would be a big shame, we have tons of cap space and many holes (even after signing our own, guys, draft picks and extending Jordy and Randall). So signing some free agents would make sense (even for Ted!). But to be honest, if we sign some free agents, I would rather sign d-line, linebacker or safety than cornerback. Our cornerback group is still decent with Williams, House, Hayward and Hyde. Moreover the cornerback draft class is pretty good and deep, unlike some other defensive positions, so we should be able to find in solid corner in this draft.

BTW Ted loves compensatory picks. You can only get four of those, so if we lose more than four guys to other teams, Ted can sign guys without losing compensatory picks. I expect that we lose more than four guys. Therefore I think that Ted actually will sign some free agents (however I expect Ted to sign guys in the first week of free agency).

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we will sign Shields for around 4 years 28 mil although he really shouldn't get more than Tim Jennings' 4 year 22.4 mil since Jennings was a two time pro bowl player when he signed that deal and Shields has yet to make a pro bowl. Williams will sign an extension to lower his cap number and finish his career in GB. Also think we will draft a guy like Justin Gilbert, Kyle Fuller, or Bradley Roby in 1st or 2nd. And Hyde will play more of a SS role in 2014.

I think We let Raji walk, don't think he wants to play in our 3-4 system. And find a big man like Daniel McCullers (6-7 350) in the 3rd/4th round area.

I think we resign Jolly for 2 years 5 mil.

I think we resign Finley for around what Pitta just resigned with Baltimore for 5 years 32 mil. And perhaps take CJ Fiedorowicz in the 3rd/4th round area as a number 2 TE. While letting Quarless walk unless market for him is soft and we can retain him very cheap. Hope we get Colt Lyera as a udf or in 7th round as he could add a dimension to O.

Think we sign both Cobb and Nelson to extensions during the 2014 season so some cap space will be saved for that. We will draft a reciever fairly high 2nd/3rd for example if Jordan Matthews falls to us in the 2nd TT pulls the trigger. Also like Martavis Bryant in the 3rd or Jeff Janis in the 5th.

D

Deleted member 6794

That said, if Shields walks and I don't see any way Raji stays, the Packers will have a ton of money and frankly are going to have to do something in FA to get the 89% requirement (if that number is right). It's gonna get interesting.

The rule you're talking about doesn't mean teams have to have a cap hit of 89% of the total cap in a single season. They have to dole out 89% of the total amount of the salary cap over a four year span (2013-16) in cash (not the same number as the cap hit).

The Packers don't need to worry about that as they spent $159 million in cash last season.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we resign Finley for around what Pitta just resigned with Baltimore for 5 years 32 mil. And perhaps take CJ Fiedorowicz in the 3rd/4th round area as a number 2 TE. While letting Quarless walk unless market for him is soft and we can retain him very cheap. Hope we get Colt Lyera as a udf or in 7th round as he could add a dimension to O.

Even if Finley is medically cleared (which is still a big if) there's absolutely no chance he will get anything else than a one year, prove me that you can stay healthy deal. I don't want the Packers to have anything to do with Lyerla, especially after what he said about the Sandy Hook shooting.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no idea what he said about anything. And it's really none of my business all I know is you watch his tape and he would add a new dimension to the offense. Having a TE who can motion into the backfield and take a handoff for 20 yards or who can take a reverse to the house is special. And if the Packers are only willing to give Finley a one year deal he will no longer be a Packer because someone else is gonna give him more. If you heard McCarthy's comments about Finley at the combine you can tell the coach wants Finley back 100%. The way he was playing last season was insane something like 200 of his 300 yards were after the catch.

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Shields leaves through free agency.... What does anyone think of the Packers drafting Stanley Jean-Batiste?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 6794

I have no idea what he said about anything. And it's really none of my business all I know is you watch his tape and he would add a new dimension to the offense.

I don't want a guy like that in the locker room and thankfully TT doesn't either.

And if the Packers are only willing to give Finley a one year deal he will no longer be a Packer because someone else is gonna give him more. If you heard McCarthy's comments about Finley at the combine you can tell the coach wants Finley back 100%. The way he was playing last season was insane something like 200 of his 300 yards were after the catch.

I don't think another team will offer Finley more than a one year deal either. I would want him if he's healthy, with the surgery he had I highly doubt though he plays another down in the league .

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I hate when people on this forum just assume this. Like starting caliber corners are just waiting around for Ted Thompson to find them.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way too much speculation. Takes two to deal. I think the tag is too high of a price to pay and think matching his highest offer is more something I would favor.

Signing Finley to a 5 year deal doesn't sound smart coming off that injury and the fact that he's never had a great full season before.

I would love for tramon to take a pay cut or be able to earn it back like Crosby did but not sure if that will happen. My bet is he doesn't take a pay cut

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shouldn't have come this far. shields should have gotten a deal done last season . knowing TT he will let Shields go resign Raji and draft a corner in hopes he will develop into a player. To answer the question? Slim to none Shields is back !

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way too much speculation. Takes two to deal. I think the tag is too high of a price to pay and think matching his highest offer is more something I would favor.

Signing Finley to a 5 year deal doesn't sound smart coming off that injury and the fact that he's never had a great full season before.

I would love for tramon to take a pay cut or be able to earn it back like Crosby did but not sure if that will happen. My bet is he doesn't take a pay cut

I think we could have done better just making him a competitive offer for $7M or so and convincing him to stay before FA rather than matching his higher offer in free agency. But I guess we'll see.

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I hear about Sam Shields is that he is a priority to sign...Lets be honest he is good ,but he is not a shutdown corner... He will test the market and be overpaid... And I know we have many defensive holes but TT is not going to over pay. That is why they did not tag him..lets not forget who his agent is. I think 5.5 mil / year or less is reasonable. We need some nastiness on the defensive side of the ball....

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought we would let Sheilds go. And I suspect we plan to use his cap space to get a FA safety if he decided not to sign..... I notice Byrd didnt get tagged... And Sheilds didnt sign..... My favorite possible FA acqusition is possible.

Pack....man!!!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be a good scenario if Shields decides he don't want to be a Packer but it would be even better if we could sign Shields and get Byrd. Byrd is going to price himself out of the Packers price. I still like that kid from Nebraska Jean-Batiste. Pryor if he is available by the time we pick 21st. We need attitude in our defense someone to come in and smack the other teams offense but not disrespectful attitude.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Funny. All I remember is winning division titles...:) Agreed that if we dont get Sheilds to stay. The cap money must bring in a top Fa to the secondary. Byrd would fit right in with his ball hawking skills...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts