What do we need to have a great season?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's going to come down to a few key players. How they perform could end up being the difference between a SB and another disappointing season.

1) Aaron Rodgers- I know, duh! But I'm talking more in terms of health, if he's healthy he's the GOAT, plain and simple.

2) Jimmy Graham- I think the TE position has been overlooked in this offense for way way way too long. We spent a **** ton of $$$ on Jimmy and McCarthy used him like he was Niles Paul! That can't happen again, and I don't think it will. Lafleur knows how to get the best out of his TE's.

3) Zadarius Smith/Preston Smith- The Pack spent a ton of money on these 2 guys to bolster up the pass rush. They can't be disappointments. The #1 key for any defense is getting pressure on the QB. These guys need to be dominant.

4) Kevin King- The talent isn't the issue here, it's all about staying healthy. King has missed way too much time early on in his career. If he can play 16 games at a high level, we're looking at a potential top 5 defense.

Let me know which players you think are going to make or break this season.
A lot of people are talking about MVS having a breakout season. I think it’s gonna be ESB. Ideally, it’s both. What I don’t like is talk of putting MVS or GMO in the slot. They’re too good on the perimeter. Seems like Kumerow would be a good slot guy to backfill for Cobb. He’s smart, runs great routes, and has ARod in his corner.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The things that backups do, or they’d be starters.

Davis will be fortunate to make the roster
It does seem silly to use a roster spot solely for a returner when there are other guys who can do the job. Davis hasn’t shown anything as a WR. He’s a great returner, no doubt, but is that alone worth a roster spot? IMO, no.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To get to the original thread topic, the OL has to shine. That means stellar play from the starters, and having someone to backup Bulaga when he eventually gets hurt. I like bringing in Turner and drafting Jenkins. Depth is a problem, but that’s true for every NFL team at the OL.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It does seem silly to use a roster spot solely for a returner when there are other guys who can do the job. Davis hasn’t shown anything as a WR. He’s a great returner, no doubt, but is that alone worth a roster spot? IMO, no.

I think that is the question to ponder, is he actually a "great returner"? I think he is a decent returner but has a history of making some poor decisions on when to or when not to call for a fair catch. Given that and the fact that he might only average a few yards more than the next guy, I don't think he is worth keeping just to return punts. Now if he actually was a great returner, then yeah, he is worth a roster spot, despite his inadequacies as a WR.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2nd and 3rd W/Os, (whoever they are), Jones and Williams (I doubt the new RB takes over for Williams), the O line jelling, and Oren Burks (the big unknown).
burks. linebackers usually show what they are earlier than some other positions. they're either meh, good, or great from the get-go it seems. he's meh and i don't think it's changing. hopefully i'm wrong.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that is the question to ponder, is he actually a "great returner"? I think he is a decent returner but has a history of making some poor decisions on when to or when not to call for a fair catch. Given that and the fact that he might only average a few yards more than the next guy, I don't think he is worth keeping just to return punts. Now if he actually was a great returner, then yeah, he is worth a roster spot, despite his inadequacies as a WR.
he's good. above average...and that's good enough. the fact that he's the last wr is fine. someone has to be the last wr. it wouldn't affect the team if he were injured or cut. he needs to stay healthy this year so it's not PR by committee like last year.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
burks. linebackers usually show what they are earlier than some other positions. they're either meh, good, or great from the get-go it seems. he's meh and i don't think it's changing. hopefully i'm wrong.
We have not seen enough of Burks to know yet. I don't think our D is dependent on him though. It would just be a great addition if he can play.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
We have not seen enough of Burks to know yet. I don't think our D is dependent on him though. It would just be a great addition if he can play.

Agreed. I think people are too quick to label Burks a failure. The guy was a rookie last year, one that suffered a shoulder injury that limited his play to start the season. He was a good special teams player and I am hoping that he can make the jump at ILB in his second year.

Reaction score
A lot of people are talking about MVS having a breakout season. I think it’s gonna be ESB. Ideally, it’s both. What I don’t like is talk of putting MVS or GMO in the slot. They’re too good on the perimeter. Seems like Kumerow would be a good slot guy to backfill for Cobb. He’s smart, runs great routes, and has ARod in his corner.
I like Kumerow but as of now, he is just fighting for a roster spot. Seems like Gmo is most likely to end up in the slot. But everyone is going to end up in the slot at one point or another.

D

Deleted member 6794

the offense returns to being a top 8 offensive scoring team. AR is capable of slicing apart opposing D's if there's a semblance of a running game.

The Packers running game was pretty successful yet the offense as a whole struggled last season. Rodgers has to perform at a higher level and the team has to be committed to rush the ball more often to improve as a unit.

Assuming Turner is the only new starter, it shouldn't be an issue, they are all veterans and should be able to figure it out.

The starting offensive line should be fine but the unit might lack quality depth.

In my opinion neither Allison nor Kumerow are a good fit to line up in the slot.

While teams definitely prefer their returner to have an impact on either offense or defense as well it's smart to keep the best returner on the roster regardless of it.

Seems like Gmo is most likely to end up in the slot. But everyone is going to end up in the slot at one point or another.

The Packers need a receiver lining up in the slot on the majority of the snaps though. Allison doesn't fit that bill.

Reaction score
The Packers running game was pretty successful yet the offense as a whole struggled last season. Rodgers has to perform at a higher level and the team has to be committed to rush the ball more often to improve as a unit.

The starting offensive line should be fine but the unit might lack quality depth.

In my opinion neither Allison nor Kumerow are a good fit to line up in the slot.

While teams definitely prefer their returner to have an impact on either offense or defense as well it's smart to keep the best returner on the roster regardless of it.

The Packers need a receiver lining up in the slot on the majority of the snaps though. Allison doesn't fit that bill.
I think the O-line has good enough depth with Jenkins, Patrick, Madison, Light, and Spriggs. I agree that Gmo doesn't look like the average slot WR but look at the roster, no WR looks like an exclusive slot guy. Gmo, MVS, EQ, and Jmon are all over 6"3. So yuo shouldn't let "looks" decide it for you. I think its gonna be a rotation but starting with Gmo.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the O-line has good enough depth with Jenkins, Patrick, Madison, Light, and Spriggs.

Spriggs and Patrick have mostly struggled over their careers and Jenkins, Madison and Light are all unproven. In my opinion the Packers currently lack quality depth on the offensive line.

I agree that Gmo doesn't look like the average slot WR but look at the roster, no WR looks like an exclusive slot guy. Gmo, MVS, EQ, and Jmon are all over 6"3. So yuo shouldn't let "looks" decide it for you. I think its gonna be a rotation but starting with Gmo.

Allison isn't agile enough to play in the slot (7.40 3 Cone drill) for the majority of his snaps. Therefore Moore (6.56), Valdes-Scantling and St. Brown (both no time, but they would have definitely been significantly faster than Allison) are better suited to line up inside.

Reaction score
Hearing more good things about Kumerow as he continues to impress. I look forward to seeing more of him this season. Apparently he continues to impress Aaron with his ability to learn and execute the playbook in practice. He may very well be that dark-horse WR that steps his game up this season and gets into action as the season progresses.

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm
wide receiver Trevor Davis getting first-team runs with Davante Adams missing some time

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hearing more good things about Kumerow as he continues to impress. I look forward to seeing more of him this season. Apparently he continues to impressed Aaron with his ability to learn and execute the playbook in practice. He may very well be that dark-horse WR that steps his game up this season and gets into action as the season progresses.
I do think Rodgers genuinely likes Kumerow and how he approaches the game. I don't think he's blowing smoke at all. I also think part of it, is to show these other guys that "should" be so much better that "should" means jack **** in this league and they need to get in the playbook, learn how to run routes, and do it consistently down in and down out, practice or games, it's the same.

Members online

Latest posts