What do we need to have a great season?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me the season is dependent on our OL. We don't have much backup at the tackles that I can see and that is where we are vulnerable imho. I am hoping the new line coach has a plan and is a good teacher. But am still concerned about OT.

D

Deleted member 6794

For me the season is dependent on our OL. We don't have much backup at the tackles that I can see and that is where we are vulnerable imho. I am hoping the new line coach has a plan and is a good teacher. But am still concerned about OT.

Turner might present a decent backup at right tackle. There's no doubt the Packers lack a quality backup on the left side though.

H

HardRightEdge

Turner might present a decent backup at right tackle. There's no doubt the Packers lack a quality backup on the left side though.
This is the chief argument for retaining Taylor who filled in as a serviceable Bakhtiari replacement in 2017.

If we assume Jenkins starts at LG and is the OC backup, that effectively makes Taylor a backup for 3 positions in a single injury scenario: LT behind Bakhtiari, LG behind Jenkins, and taking Jenkins spot at OG if he has to move to OC.

It's possible that Jenkins will eventually be the LT backup, as Taylor was in 2017, but I think it is a little much to expect a rookie to learn 3 positions. Of course if they're comfortable with one of the other guys backing up at OC, Jenkins could work at LT. There's a long way to go in sorting it out.

Spriggs will be cut, signed by New England on a cheap one year deal, moved to OG, play meaningful snaps as an injury replacement, prove to be a revelation earning an 80 PFF grade, then sign a nice FA deal to start for somebody at RG where he will disappoint. Just kidding. Sort of.

Reaction score
This is the chief argument for retaining Taylor who filled in as a serviceable Bakhtiari replacement in 2017.

If we assume Jenkins starts at LG and is the OC backup, that effectively makes Taylor a backup for 3 positions in a single injury scenario: LT behind Bakhtiari, LG behind Jenkins, and taking Jenkins spot at OG if he has to move to OC.

It's possible that Jenkins will eventually be the LT backup, as Taylor was in 2017, but I think it is a little much to expect a rookie to learn 3 positions. Of course if they're comfortable with one of the other guys backing up at OC, Jenkins could work at LT. There's a long way to go in sorting it out.

Spriggs will be cut, signed by New England on a cheap one year deal, moved to OG, play meaningful snaps as an injury replacement, prove to be a revelation earning an 80 PFF grade, then sign a nice FA deal to start for somebody at RG where he will disappoint. Just kidding. Sort of.
I like the bold projection. We sure could use lots of 2nd and 3rd year “leaps” at various positions.
This season is truly one where the rubber meets the road, let’s just hope we don’t hit too many potholes.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers needs to play at a great level, and we need to create more turnovers on defense.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
*Nobody* in the NFL has quality backup OT's

*Slight exaggeration to make a point. OL depth is at an all time low in the NFL.

Reaction score
The difference will be having several of our 2nd and 3rd year players making a positive leap. Its time for guys like Burks, Josh Jones, EQ, Spriggs, J’mon, Jackson, Tony Brown etc.. to step it up a notch or two.

We should have a decent year regardless, but having several of that grouping having a “Fackrell” type season would push us over the top IMO.

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Rodgers returning to MVP caliber play, improvement on special teams fundamentals, and continued improvement defensively.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers returning to MVP caliber play, improvement on special teams fundamentals, and continued improvement defensively.
Let's not pretend last year was bad on any account. Yes Rodgers had a down year by HIS standards, but that comes to tell you how great he is and how spoiled we've become.

Imo while Rodgers will carry this team as far as he can take it, I say it'll largely depend on the receivers this year. Outside of Devante I'm still skeptical but I do have high hopes for them.

The defense last year wasn't bad contrary to what everyone believes, and I say they'll be top 10 this year.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Let's not pretend last year was bad on any account. Yes Rodgers had a down year by HIS standards, but that comes to tell you how great he is and how spoiled we've become.

Imo while Rodgers will carry this team as far as he can take it, I say it'll largely depend on the receivers this year. Outside of Devante I'm still skeptical but I do have high hopes for them.

The defense last year wasn't bad contrary to what everyone believes, and I say they'll be top 10 this year.
Never said it was bad. But there's a huge difference between MVP caliber play, and solid play.

I'm as big a Rodgers fan as you will ever find, rest assured. And he played last season with compromised mobility, a broken system, and young receivers who routinely made rookie mistakes. However, he was not the Aaron Rodgers we've come to know and love over the years.

He'll need to be better. And he will be.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On defense, Josh Jackson and Kevin King need to show improvement (and stay healthy) while Savage needs to be that rare rookie that makes a positive impact right away for the secondary to become very good.

For the front seven, the team can't afford for Clark to get hurt and the Smiths need to earn their money.

For the offense, the top two priorities are health for Rodgers and Adams. Rodgers is obvious but the team doesn't have anyone even close to approaching Adams St receiver either. I'm less concerned about the oline if only because nobody in the NFL is set everywhere on the online and, for those concerned about it, there is no such thing as an adequate backup at LT; many teams don't even have an adequate starter at LT.

Reaction score
On defense, Josh Jackson and Kevin King need to show improvement (and stay healthy) while Savage needs to be that rare rookie that makes a positive impact right away for the secondary to become very good.

For the front seven, the team can't afford for Clark to get hurt and the Smiths need to earn their money.

For the offense, the top two priorities are health for Rodgers and Adams. Rodgers is obvious but the team doesn't have anyone even close to approaching Adams St receiver either. I'm less concerned about the oline if only because nobody in the NFL is set everywhere on the online and, for those concerned about it, there is no such thing as an adequate backup at LT; many teams don't even have an adequate starter at LT.
Well said on King and Jackson.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Spriggs getting cut wouldn’t bother me. Maybe he needs a change of scenery because he certainly has the athleticism. He’s been a real puzzle for me, and I’m sure, a lot of others including the GB coaching staff. Just seems like GB isn’t the place for him, and with the additions to the OL via FA and the draft, he looks to be the odd man out.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am actually quite satisfied with our oline depth, it hasn't been this good in quite some time. I'm more worried about our receiving corps and our depth at CB.

Yet I think we are only one quality receiving option away of having a strong roster. Add in a cover linebacker and I dare even call it complete.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never said it was bad. But there's a huge difference between MVP caliber play, and solid play.

I'm as big a Rodgers fan as you will ever find, rest assured. And he played last season with compromised mobility, a broken system, and young receivers who routinely made rookie mistakes. However, he was not the Aaron Rodgers we've come to know and love over the years.

He'll need to be better. And he will be.
Rodgers will be better this year. He gutted out last year with a strained MCL and knee fracture. And it looks like the OL will be markedly better (on paper for now). I’m concerned about RT behind Bulaga..... well I’m concerned about Bulaga too. The OL will be better, as will #12, and I expect a return to form for the entire offense.

My biggest concern is with the ILB group. I’m hoping Jones will get more clarity around his role (playing the box instead of centerfield) and a 2nd year jump from Burks. We know what we’ll get from Martinez. Kevin King has to get and stay healthy as well. But I love the additions of Amos and Savage at S. So as usual, we’ll see.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spriggs getting cut wouldn’t bother me. Maybe he needs a change of scenery because he certainly has the athleticism. He’s been a real puzzle for me, and I’m sure, a lot of others including the GB coaching staff. Just seems like GB isn’t the place for him, and with the additions to the OL via FA and the draft, he looks to be the odd man out.

Why cut Spriggs? He is still a serviceable backup with the potential to be a starter.

He has absolutely been a disappointment, but he's still cheap, and his replacement cost is high.

Now one could argue that signing Billy Turner is an indicator on their thoughts of Spriggs, and I wouldn't argue that. Elgton Jenkins though? I wouldn't say that.

Long story short, he's still a cheap backup and it doesn't make sense to cut him right now.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Key will be our offense. While I don't expect a Top 5 defense, this will be Pettine's second year with the defense and he was just given lots of shiny new toys to boot. I think the defense will be much better than we have seen in awhile, barring major injuries of course.

The offense on the other hand, new HC and new offense. Most of the parts will be the same, but will they grasp MLF's scheme? Will the young WR's step up? Will the OL stay healthy? Will Graham actually play like a $10M/year TE? Will Rodgers stay healthy AND stay calm when things go off track a bit?

I use to worry about the defense, that has shifted to more concern about the offense.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Key will be our offense. While I don't expect a Top 5 defense, this will be Pettine's second year with the defense and he was just given lots of shiny new toys to boot. I think the defense will be much better than we have seen in awhile, barring major injuries of course.

The offense on the other hand, new HC and new offense. Most of the parts will be the same, but will they grasp MLF's scheme? Will the young WR's step up? Will the OL stay healthy? Will Graham actually play like a $10M/year TE? Will Rodgers stay healthy AND stay calm when things go off track a bit?

I use to worry about the defense, that has shifted to more concern about the offense.

Yes. Probably. Maybe. No. Hopefully AND probably.

At least, that's my opinion.

Lambodoh

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you’ll see a rejuvenated Aaron who sees a new playbook
as unlimited opportunity and a Packer team that’s drinking the
Playoff koolaide!

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i do have more questions about the offense. I think they have the resources to be pretty good. But you have a new coach, new scheme, lots of young faces. While I think the "old" faces will largely adapt and be just as good in the new offense, it's a lot new for a lot of people and they all have to learn to play together. I know Rodgers and Adams and Bakhtiari etc will be just fine, but there's still a learning curve. On top of that there's a new coach that not only has to implement, but there will be a learning curve to teaching the team and then calling the game and adjustments.

For all my questions though, it's evened out with optimism and excitement about what they can all bring to the table. there will be lumps, but I think they'll be fine

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think you’ll see a rejuvenated Aaron who sees a new playbook
as unlimited opportunity and a Packer team that’s drinking the
Playoff koolaide!

I think that is a valid point. Not to sound blunt, but Aaron will be out of excuses. Not that he really was having to manufacture any in 2017 or really in 2018. However, if he stays healthy in 2019 and he can get the offense rolling, he is going to have fun and also see it as a way to silence many of the AR critics out there.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why cut Spriggs? He is still a serviceable backup with the potential to be a starter.

He has absolutely been a disappointment, but he's still cheap, and his replacement cost is high.

Now one could argue that signing Billy Turner is an indicator on their thoughts of Spriggs, and I wouldn't argue that. Elgton Jenkins though? I wouldn't say that.

Long story short, he's still a cheap backup and it doesn't make sense to cut him right now.
I don’t have a strong feeling about cutting Spriggs and am looking forward to how he competes. I don’t see him becoming a starter though, assuming everyone stays healthy, a big assumption. So anyway, no need to cut him now, I just expect he will get cut. I hope I’m wrong and he steps up because, as you point out, he’s cap friendly.

Members online

Latest posts