What do we need to have a great season?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I havne't seen enough of Alexander to say he should return punts or not. and I don't care what the depth is, stupid punt return? i think that was the attitude of our last 3 special teams coaches and it showed

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I havne't seen enough of Alexander to say he should return punts or not. and I don't care what the depth is, stupid punt return? i think that was the attitude of our last 3 special teams coaches and it showed
the Packers have a punt returner in davis...someone who isn't counted on for anything...and has shown an aptitude for it. the Packers special teams problems aren't due to key starters not playing, or lack of speed. it was discipline. not staying in their lanes, penalties, over-running the ball, penalties, blocking responsibilities, oh...and penalties.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the Packers have a punt returner in davis...someone who isn't counted on for anything...and has shown a aptitude for it. the Packers special teams problems aren't due to key starters not playing, or lack of speed. it was discipline. not staying in their lanes, penalties, over-running the ball, penalties, blocking responsibilities, oh...and penalties.
The things that backups do, or they’d be starters.

Davis will be fortunate to make the roster

D

Deleted member 6794

they had depth at every position. the Packers don't. losing alexander would be catastrophic...but losing him on a stupid punt return would make it laughable.

It's laughable that you believe the Packers should play scared because Alexander or any other player for that matter could suffer an injury.

the Packers have a punt returner in davis...someone who isn't counted on for anything...and has shown a aptitude for it.

Davis is definitely the best returner on the Packers, therefore the point of using Alexander in that role hopefully is a moot one.

That doesn't change anything about that the coaching staff should use the best option available no matter their importance on either offense or defense.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's laughable that you believe the Packers should play scared because Alexander or any other player for that matter could suffer an injury.

Davis is definitely the best returner on the Packers, therefore the point of using Alexander in that role hopefully is a moot one.

That doesn't change anything about that the coaching staff should use the best option available no matter their importance on either offense or defense.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah...but you know how rodgers does things through the press.
What? Give an honest answer in regards to his thoughts on how things are going? Dude you're sounding like Quientus. I credit you for being more fair minded, but come on.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I swear i hit respond on this thread this morning, and it ended up in a different thread? i'm sure it was my fault because it usually is, but here it is again in the correct thread,

Spread it around, feed it to your main man that's open. Either can work. Ignoring the rest while the best is covered and forcing it would be a problem. Throwing it to him more because he's open is not. Don't take the ball out of your main man's hands for the sake of giving it to someone else all the time.

TDF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers need; the Defense to able to get off the field after 3rd and long situations, Rodgers use the middle of the field, and special teams be better in all areas.

Reaction score
I think it's going to come down to a few key players. How they perform could end up being the difference between a SB and another disappointing season.

1) Aaron Rodgers- I know, duh! But I'm talking more in terms of health, if he's healthy he's the GOAT, plain and simple.

2) Jimmy Graham- I think the TE position has been overlooked in this offense for way way way too long. We spent a **** ton of $$$ on Jimmy and McCarthy used him like he was Niles Paul! That can't happen again, and I don't think it will. Lafleur knows how to get the best out of his TE's.

3) Zadarius Smith/Preston Smith- The Pack spent a ton of money on these 2 guys to bolster up the pass rush. They can't be disappointments. The #1 key for any defense is getting pressure on the QB. These guys need to be dominant.

4) Kevin King- The talent isn't the issue here, it's all about staying healthy. King has missed way too much time early on in his career. If he can play 16 games at a high level, we're looking at a potential top 5 defense.

Let me know which players you think are going to make or break this season.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
4) Kevin King- The talent isn't the issue here, it's all about staying healthy. King has missed way too much time early on in his career. If he can play 16 games at a high level, we're looking at a potential top 5 defense.

You aren't the first to mention that King's talent isn't the issue, just his health. Are we really sure about just what kind of a player he is? I can understand people are hoping that he is talented, but I don't think we have seen enough of the guy to be sure of it. But yes, he is going to have to stay healthy, before the Packers really know what they have in King.

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's going to come down to a few key players. How they perform could end up being the difference between a SB and another disappointing season.

1) Aaron Rodgers- I know, duh! But I'm talking more in terms of health, if he's healthy he's the GOAT, plain and simple.

2) Jimmy Graham- I think the TE position has been overlooked in this offense for way way way too long. We spent a **** ton of $$$ on Jimmy and McCarthy used him like he was Niles Paul! That can't happen again, and I don't think it will. Lafleur knows how to get the best out of his TE's.

3) Zadarius Smith/Preston Smith- The Pack spent a ton of money on these 2 guys to bolster up the pass rush. They can't be disappointments. The #1 key for any defense is getting pressure on the QB. These guys need to be dominant.

Let me know which players you think are going to make or break this season.
The 2nd and 3rd W/Os, (whoever they are), Jones and Williams (I doubt the new RB takes over for Williams), the O line jelling, and Oren Burks (the big unknown).

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This may be an over-simplification of the season but to me 2019 will be a HUGE success if:

A. the offense returns to being a top 8 offensive scoring team. AR is capable of slicing apart opposing D's if there's a semblance of a running game.

B. the defense gets into the top-10 in points allowed. Turnovers play a large part in that ~ give the ball back to AR and the odds of winning go way up. Can't have our DB's as the team's leading tacklers... the D-line & backers need to be able to stuff the run and let the DB's lock-down receivers AND pick-off the ball.

IF those things happen this is a dangerous playoff team, again.

Reaction score
The 2nd and 3rd W/Os, (whoever they are), Jones and Williams (I doubt the new RB takes over for Williams), the O line jelling, and Oren Burks (the big unknown).
I definitely agree with you about Burks, his development is going to be so key for this defense's success. I'm expecting it to be Allison and MVS as WR 2&3 and I'm very excited about it. Gonna say it now, I think Dexter Williams surprises some people this year....We'll see. And the O-line should be fine. Assuming Turner is the only new starter, it shouldn't be an issue, they are all veterans and should be able to figure it out.

Reaction score
You aren't the first to mention that King's talent isn't the issue, just his health. Are we really sure about just what kind of a player he is? I can understand people are hoping that he is talented, but I don't think we have seen enough of the guy to be sure of it. But yes, he is going to have to stay healthy, before the Packers really know what they have in King.
It's true that we have seen a really good sample size of King yet but in the games he's played at 100%, he's looked legit. One of the biggest reasons why I have such high hopes for him is his size. At 6"2, he can be called upon to cover the Julio Jones' and Deandre Hopkins of the world. Just needs to actually play!

OP
OP
gopkrs

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely agree with you about Burks, his development is going to be so key for this defense's success. I'm expecting it to be Allison and MVS as WR 2&3 and I'm very excited about it. Gonna say it now, I think Dexter Williams surprises some people this year....We'll see. And the O-line should be fine. Assuming Turner is the only new starter, it shouldn't be an issue, they are all veterans and should be able to figure it out.
I said Dexter would not beat out Williams only based on the highlights I have seen. And in those you could have driven a Mack truck through the holes. And I am pretty sure those long runs affected his overall stats. I like Williams if the O line pulls through.

Reaction score
I said Dexter would not beat out Williams only based on the highlights I have seen. And in those you could have driven a Mack truck through the holes. And I am pretty sure those long runs affected his overall stats. I like Williams if the O line pulls through.
From a purely statistical view. I initially saw Dexter as a solid 4th round pick pre-draft. IMO, He needed one more year of production and one less suspension in college to go late Day 2. My first pick would’ve been Singleterry, whom I wanted round 3, but he was gone just before our pick.
I’m actually happier getting Dexter just inside pick #200 because he could end up being a real steal and that’s a real value pick without a great deal of risk.
In 2019 I see him needing a year to develop, so I doubt he gets too much work unless unforeseen circumstances push him up the depth chart.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts