Week 3 Detroit Game: A Must-Win?

D

Deleted member 6794

That's actually bad. 4.9 yards per play would have ranked dead last in the NFL last year, tied with the offensive juggernauts that were the Texans and Colts.

True, and once again the Packers have struggled in that area since the start of last season, finishing 29th in the league in yards per play in 2015 with an average of 5.0 and currently ranking 30th at 4.5.

All of that happening after leading the league in that category with 6.2 yards in 2014.

Jimbo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coming over from the UK for this, so it's a must win for me!!

My 2nd game at Lambeau, don't think this one will beat the 55-14 win over the Bears during my last visit though!

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The next 4 games are all at home, If this team is a Super Bowl ready team, they will win all 4.

This stretch will show us what this team is made of.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
If we lose, the mods are going to have a rough week quelling the mayhem on this forum. LOL.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
When this schedule came out, I kind of figured that the Packers would lose one of those first 2 games. Road games in the NFL are never easy (especially 4 in a row with the 2 preseason games). No big deal, they get 4 straight home games to get their wins and momentum going right? What I didn't expect is for the Packer passing game to continue where it left off last season, out of sync and unreliable. Nor did I expect that our ILB's or DL would be playing this good and our secondary playing this poorly, figured it might be the reverse of that. So, these next 4 games will set the stage for the 10 (or more) games to follow. Its time MM and AR get rid of this chip that seems to be on their shoulders of "everything on offense is fine and will work itself out" and adopt the theory that "we need to look at this offense from a different perspective and find something that actually works". I will continue to say it, I don't think our WR's group is as great as some want to think it is, but its the group we have and MM needs to find a way to get AR and that groups confidence back or it could be a long season. With 4 games at home, its the perfect time to run the offense out of the no huddle and just start pounding the ball with Lacy and some short passes. Draw the defenses closer into the LOS and then try and get your occasional big play.

Last edited:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will continue to say it, I don't think our WR's group is as great as some want to think it is......

I don't think it's so much in the confidence of our receiving group as it is with the confidence we had with them with Rod being behind the wheel. Now two games in and we see that even with Nelson in the rotation(limited as it is) we are still struggling. However, I still think we have talented receivers that should produce once we are clicking again on O. hopefully!

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think it's so much in the confidence of our receiving group as it is with the confidence we had with them with Rod being behind the wheel. Now two games in and we see that even with Nelson in the rotation(limited as it is) we are still struggling. However, I still think we have talented receivers that should produce once we are clicking again on O. hopefully!

If you watch the looks on our WR's faces as well as AR's, IMO they are suffering from lack of confidence. Hard not to when you have the kinds of games they have had for almost a year. Now that the big excuse of "no Jordy" is removed from the equation, they have to be scratching their collective heads in trying to figure this out. Someone will probably find stats to prove me wrong, but it sure seems like we have very few yards after the catch (YAC) and prior to this drought, the YAC was our friend and what turned a small gain into a big one.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coming over from the UK for this, so it's a must win for me!!

My 2nd game at Lambeau, don't think this one will beat the 55-14 win over the Bears during my last visit though!
Jimbo,
I hope you enjoy your time in WI. and at Lambeau! I have feeling that the Packers will not disappoint. They need to build up some confidence. Have fun.
DS

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. I will continue to say it, I don't think our WR's group is as great as some want to think it is,.

This. I consider this the elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about. But they're what we have , and the coaches need to figure out something that'll work with them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This. I consider this the elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about. But they're what we have , and the coaches need to figure out something that'll work with them.

I know I bring up James Jones too much and maybe he isn't as good (anymore) as I think he is, but its pretty telling that he was the Packers leading WR last year and is currently unemployed. Sure, the group of WR's all had their share of injuries to contend with, but even the healthy guys didn't seem to get the job done at times, even with a FHOF QB throwing to them.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you watch the looks on our WR's faces as well as AR's, IMO they are suffering from lack of confidence. Hard not to when you have the kinds of games they have had for almost a year. Now that the big excuse of "no Jordy" is removed from the equation, they have to be scratching their collective heads in trying to figure this out. Someone will probably find stats to prove me wrong, but it sure seems like we have very few yards after the catch (YAC) and prior to this drought, the YAC was our friend and what turned a small gain into a big one.

I couldn't help notice the frustration on Rod's face that seemed to have mirrored last year's frustration. What I find most baffling is that you have a guy struggling but you continue to have confidence in him like Rod does. And i'm talking about Adams. Nelson and Cobb are decent receivers so I know they already have established trust in Rod. Granted Adams made some nice red zone catches lately but made some dumb mistakes that cost us yards. Wonder if that is part of the problem with Rod's decision making that is costing this team yards.
Some people have already mentioned and pointed out that Rod's most basic fundamentals are lacking. An MVP to have lost his basic fundamentals during his peak years doesn't make any sense. Now i'm not making this into receiver vs QB argument but you have wonder why Rod isn't releasing the ball on running/slant routes that he could do to pick apart the secondary easily, but he isn't and seems lost out there.
This up coming game against the Lions will be telling. If O doesn't produce I don't know what they will have to do with a team that was favored to go to the SB.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers injury report:

Morgan Burnett (groin), Letroy Guion (knee), Datone Jones (knee), Clay Matthews (ankle, hamstring) and Sam Shields (concussion) didn't participate in today's practice.

Chris Banjo, Jayrone Elliott and Josh Hawkins returned to practice with all of them fully participating.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep handing the ball to Lacy, especially goal line. Plus give Starks screen passes to mix it up. We can't rely on Rodgers to fix our struggle on O. Hyde will have his hands full with Ebron this week. But I'm still confident he covers him well in man coverage which we should play more of!

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm expecting a strong showing on defense in this game, we should be able to get consistent pressure on Stafford and I doubt the Lions will have a receiver who will get the yards Diggs did last week against Randall.

On offense, being at home will improve our communication and Rodgers will settle down. To me, it appears he has nervous feet. He is NOT standing in the pocket and releasing the ball quickly. I would like to see both Lacy and Starks in the back field on most plays. Starks can be the safety valve if everyone is covered.

Don't give up on the run if it isn't there at first, keeping running Lacy between the tackles...

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just about winning this game that matters. It's about how they win. If they barely get by while the offense struggles again.... I'll remain pessimistic. Nothing will change in my eyes.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need CM3 to have big time game. 2 sack game would be groovy for our defense. Perry has been a beast thus far and also will need to continue and have a big game aswell. Clark will be pushed into the starting lineup now that Guion is hurt. He had a nice batted pass but I will be watching his push in the pocket. Martinez did an excellent job shadowing AP if he does that with Rid**** this week it gives us good chance to win. It will be tricky to cover Tate and Jones without Shields. But my opinion Randall and Rollins would rotate covering both through the game.

Members online

Latest posts