Week 2: Browns @ Packers

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's talk during and after this fake-game.
Fake game with real injuries, like the Chargers last week. So sad to lose Desmond.

PLEASE NO MORE INJURIES TONIGHT.

I worry about the RBs... can Alex Green make it thru the night?

Green machine: The depletion of the Packers’ running backs has not been good for coach Mike McCarthy’s disposition. When fullback John Kuhn suffered an ankle injury late in practice on Monday, McCarthy couldn’t believe it. As a result of Kuhn’s injury, only three running backs – halfbacks Alex Green and Marc Tyler, and fullback Nic Cooper – will suit up if McCarthy doesn’t change his mind at the last minute and let newly signed Cedric Benson on the field.

That means Green, despite having been on a limited snap count as he comes back from a torn anterior cruciate ligament, could see a fair amount of action. Last week, he had three carries for 3 yards; he should get at least a little more work Thursday night.

“I haven’t been told anything as far as my workload, things like that. I know I’m starting the game off, I know I’ll still be kind of limited rep count, I understand that. That’s not a problem for me, but as far as snaps or carries, I’m really not sure,” Green said. “Just the nature of being competitive, you want to get out there and get all the snaps, make all the plays.

At the end of the day, I understand the whole process of not rushing it, it’s still preseason, I came back a month and a half early – I understand I need to sit out and let it heal and not push it too much. Whatever the plan may be, I’ll be fine.”

The same cannot be said for the running game as a whole, as it’s so dire that Curenski Gilleylen, a former running back in college at Nebraska who’s converted to wide receiver, was taking running back snaps this week in practice – although Cooper would be more likely to get carries first.
“Anybody that can carry it right now is up,” running backs coach Alex Van Pelt said. “He came out of Nebraska as a running back, so he has some ability and has taken handoffs. In an emergency — if a shoelace breaks or something like that, we can get him in there.”

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Looking forward to the backups. Looking for a diamond in the rough.
Harrel will keep me busy watching. It's his time.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the RBs dropping like flies, Harrell might have the opportunity to throw it 40 times tonight. If he can complete enough to keep the chains moving.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
Watching the game online......so sad DD missed that catch!!!

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have the game on DVR tonight, just looked at half stats... HARREL!?!? I need to watch this one not sure what he's doing to be 3/11 with a pick but Sunday may be a frustrating day when I pull it off of the DVR.

I am starting to get a little nervous about this backup QB situation. After reading an article about Coleman's on and off performance and possibly being cut it is very disconcerting.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell looks terrible, but he's playing behind a TERRIBLE OL and it's hard to do anything there, plus his TEs and WRs have dropped passes, 3 or 4 of them.
He can't do anything with that crap.

Fans had to pay full $ for these tickets?

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sloppy game overall, turnovers lots of 3 and outs.

Pos:
No major injuries - I didnt really see any injuries at all so that has got to be the biggest positive of the game.
Newhouse - It was nice to have him back in the line up and he really played well
Masthay - Big booming punts for this guy today should have had one down inside the 5 but the coverage didnt make it to the ball in time
Tackling - While it wasn't a perfect tackling game I saw some solid tackling on ST and some CB's making plays in the backfield definitely a welcome improvement
McMillian - I liked watching him around the LOS tonight, he's a hard hitter and if he can figure out some better coverage skills we could see him sooner rather than later with MD Jennings having a pretty quiet summer.

Neg:
Back up Oline - These guys were in the words of Charles Barkley "turrrible". Pass blocking and run blocking were pretty even in the suckage. Harrell was running for his life back there again and even got punished for the safety a few possessions ago. If anyone on the line misses significant time I really wonder who is going to be able to step in and not get #12 killed

Pressure - I didn't see a whole lot of pressure on the QB tonight. And it seemed to be the same old no pressure leading to a wide open Wr or TE in the middle of the field for the first down. Hopefully next week Matthews and Woodson actually play more than a series or two so we can get an idea as to what the opening day starters are going to do for us.

Harrell: His supporting cast didn't help much today but he made some bad throws and just didn't seem to have it tonight. His Hail Mary at the end of the first half was real weak and makes me question his overall arm strength. I don't know whether or not the Packers should bring someone new in at this point but I do know his performance must improve if I am going to have confidence in him.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I think the staff were taking an especially close look at Harrel tonight to see if he could manage a game. If they were, he's sunk.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
[sarcasm] Positives:

I deleted the recording of that “game” in disgust so I’ll never see it again.

If during the regular season Rodgers gets hurt and the Packers need 3 points in the fourth quarter, they have the QB to get the job done … if the opponent will play its second or third string D and Harrell has 3 or 4 or 5 drives to get those 3 points.

The backups can’t play worse.

Making the cuts to 75 will be easy.

Negatives: There weren’t any!
[/sarcasm]

W

wxman2003

The positive...nobody got hurt. The negative...nobody actually showed up and played.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I only saw a portion of the 3rd Q last night on NFL Network. But from the limited action I saw and the reports/comments I've read this morning, it seems we still don't have a pass rush. Was there any sign of hope for a rush out of Perry, Moses, Worthy, Raji, etc.? How much do you think it's related to Clay not playing much?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
A portion of the Packers starting defense was in for two series. The starting offense was in about the same. When they were taken off the field, the Pack was up 7-3. There were 18 guys, some noteable, who didn't play at all. The starting D did OK for the little they were in. Rodgers says most of the Browns starting D was in for the whole first half. That tends to skew things.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is preseason we have to look at it for what it is. It may not of been the prettiest of games but we can't expect a bunch of rookies/ backups to go out there and play all-star like Aaron Rodgers. I wouldn't look at it as a complete failure. It was a chance for our rookies and backups to gain game-time experience and prove themselves.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Harrell looks terrible, but he's playing behind a TERRIBLE OL and it's hard to do anything there, plus his TEs and WRs have dropped passes, 3 or 4 of them.
He can't do anything with that crap.

Fans had to pay full $ for these tickets?

LOL... they don't have to at all. They can stay home and watch practice on TV if they want.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
It is preseason we have to look at it for what it is. It may not of been the prettiest of games but we can't expect a bunch of rookies/ backups to go out there and play all-star like Aaron Rodgers. I wouldn't look at it as a complete failure. It was a chance for our rookies and backups to gain game-time experience and prove themselves.

Exactly. The coaches were using last night as a big winnowing process. They already have a pretty good idea, by this time, of who is going to make the roster. They wanted to use last night to see which guys could step up and save their job, and also to see which guys to keep for the practice squad.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I only saw a portion of the 3rd Q last night on NFL Network. But from the limited action I saw and the reports/comments I've read this morning, it seems we still don't have a pass rush. Was there any sign of hope for a rush out of Perry, Moses, Worthy, Raji, etc.? How much do you think it's related to Clay not playing much?

I think it's more related to avoiding injury and not tipping our hand too much than anything else. This is glorified practice. We're not blitzing much. We're not doing much with the offense. What we're seeing is a lot of experimenting with things because we have a lot of leeway. I mean, our starters are pretty much already set in stone, are they not? We're only really looking at the bottom of the roster on who will get cut. It's a damn nice position to be in.

Members online

Latest posts