Week 2: Browns @ Packers

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
How bad was defense? I could not watch the game...

First string minus a few guys were only in for a very short time. Did ok. CWood got a strip of the ball. I think they only played two series. McMillian blew some guys up. Hayward looked ok.

Backups stank.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Benson has never played a down in a Packer uniform yet he will be our starting RB in September.
Behind him it looks like ?????? Starks, Saine, Green? How many do we keep?
I am glad ARod finally said we need to run the football after the game. Even he realizes it cannot be ignored.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Benson has never played a down in a Packer uniform yet he will be our starting RB in September.
Behind him it looks like ?????? Starks, Saine, Green? How many do we keep?
I am glad ARod finally said we need to run the football after the game. Even he realizes it cannot be ignored.

looks like it. It's sad that Starks can't even stay healthy enough to be the man smh. I've said it once and i'll say it again, we need to run the ball so defenders can't tee off on Rodgers. Let me rephrase that; we need to be PRODUCTIVE running the ball so defenders can't tee off on Rodgers.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two things that have stood out to me as big negatives in these two preseason games so far are pass defense and ball control. Our D has trouble prevent the opposing team from gouging passing yards with slants in the middle. Turning the ball over 4 times each game hurt us also.

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am in Hudson Wi. Is there any channel that I can see the game on? I checked the channels and there is only Cinn. / Atlanta.
Trapped
For future reference...I live in Hudson (but feel trapped in Vikingville too!) and the Village Inn Sports Bar & Grill in North Hudson carries preseason/regular season Packer games that aren't televised by local purple media!

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing Harrell, Cooper and Tyler out there had to be the WORST packers backfield I've ever seen in any situation.

That being said I thought, Alex Green, McMillian, D.J Smith, Hayward and Cwood all looked good. And I think the under-rated contributer of the game was Marshall Newhouse. Didn't allow a sack in his first game back and looked o.k in the running game. :)

M

Mr Pickle

Let's talk during and after this fake-game.
Fake game with real injuries, like the Chargers last week. So sad to lose Desmond.

PLEASE NO MORE INJURIES TONIGHT.

I worry about the RBs... can Alex Green make it thru the night?

Green machine: The depletion of the Packers’ running backs has not been good for coach Mike McCarthy’s disposition. When fullback John Kuhn suffered an ankle injury late in practice on Monday, McCarthy couldn’t believe it. As a result of Kuhn’s injury, only three running backs – halfbacks Alex Green and Marc Tyler, and fullback Nic Cooper – will suit up if McCarthy doesn’t change his mind at the last minute and let newly signed Cedric Benson on the field.

That means Green, despite having been on a limited snap count as he comes back from a torn anterior cruciate ligament, could see a fair amount of action. Last week, he had three carries for 3 yards; he should get at least a little more work Thursday night.

“I haven’t been told anything as far as my workload, things like that. I know I’m starting the game off, I know I’ll still be kind of limited rep count, I understand that. That’s not a problem for me, but as far as snaps or carries, I’m really not sure,” Green said. “Just the nature of being competitive, you want to get out there and get all the snaps, make all the plays.

At the end of the day, I understand the whole process of not rushing it, it’s still preseason, I came back a month and a half early – I understand I need to sit out and let it heal and not push it too much. Whatever the plan may be, I’ll be fine.”

The same cannot be said for the running game as a whole, as it’s so dire that Curenski Gilleylen, a former running back in college at Nebraska who’s converted to wide receiver, was taking running back snaps this week in practice – although Cooper would be more likely to get carries first.
“Anybody that can carry it right now is up,” running backs coach Alex Van Pelt said. “He came out of Nebraska as a running back, so he has some ability and has taken handoffs. In an emergency — if a shoelace breaks or something like that, we can get him in there.”

Frank, what do you think of Rodgers comment "Rodgers says Packers need to run the ball"?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Frank, what do you think of Rodgers comment "Rodgers says Packers need to run the ball"?
I dunno about Frank but to me that says "Get me somebody competent that isn't always injured so I don't have to wear my arm out throwing so much. I wanna keep throwing for many years to come, and I don't like getting hit."

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno about Frank but to me that says "Get me somebody competent that isn't always injured so I don't have to wear my arm out throwing so much. I wanna keep throwing for many years to come, and I don't like getting hit."
Exactly.
If I was in Rodgers shoes, I would simply want a RB there who the defense at least pays attention to.
A guy that is good enought that the 2 DE's and 2 OLB's don't always 100% just simply come after me with no worry or regard to a handoff to anyone.

But the more I watch and rewatch the Packers runs, the more digusted I get with the passive, soft, gayish blocking. It's horrible. These guys have no push ever. It's like they only are taught to step back and pass block.

greenbeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
one positve thing (i think nobody mentioned so far) was the special teams. I think they did a very good job punting, covering and returning.
another thing i remember is that perry dropped into coverage on a few plays and he didn't looked lost or badly out of position, not great but better then i expected at this point.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought the defense was active and they seemed to tackle better to me. McMillan blew up a couple of plays. Capers played it like it was a pre season game. I thought the defense did ok when the regulars were in there.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two things that have stood out to me as big negatives in these two preseason games so far are pass defense and ball control. Our D has trouble prevent the opposing team from gouging passing yards with slants in the middle. Turning the ball over 4 times each game hurt us also.

I think most teams have a problem stopping the slant across the middle because linebackers can no longer take guys' heads off. This is also why the TE is exploding in popularity as a pass catcher in the middle of the field.

But the more I watch and rewatch the Packers runs, the more digusted I get with the passive, soft, gayish blocking. It's horrible. These guys have no push ever. It's like they only are taught to step back and pass block.

C'mon, man. That's more insensitive than my avatar...

H

HardRightEdge

I think most teams have a problem stopping the slant across the middle because linebackers can no longer take guys' heads off."

It's not just that, though it makes an existing issue more acute. Taking the longer view, the middle of the field is the key vulnerability in the Tampa 2 defense. The rise of the pass catching TE is more or less coincident with the rise in popularity of Tampa 2 and its variations.

W

wxman2003

Packers better figure this mess out real soon. Bears are looking impressive tonight.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just meant "soft", that's all..... wouldn't you agree our run blocking tends to be? Soft? There's less daylight for our RBs than in a Kardashian bedroom.

Yeah, they look like a bunch of fairies. I could deal with the fact that they aren't road graders if they were better in pass protection but...

I wish we could bring in R. Lee Ermey to yell at them:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, they look like a bunch of fairies. I could deal with the fact that they aren't road graders if they were better in pass protection but...

I wish we could bring in R. Lee Ermey to yell at them:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Holy schiiiiii that was from Full Metal Jacket?

M

Mr Pickle

How bad was defense? I could not watch the game...

Need for concern PEZ? I did not see one thing that made me stand up and be positive. I hate to say it... but we will be lucky to get a win against Chicago... I think they'll take the division, no doubt. Capers needs to goooooooooo! Yesterday!

Latest posts