Week 14 - Washington Redskins - Playoff Clincher Opportunity?

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking like it. Of course we'd still need a few games to play out a certain way to make it official, but looking like a real possibility that winning this next Sunday would do it.

As to this game at hand, looking at today, it appears most the Redskins offense goes through their ground game. That should be our focal point on defense this next game is stopping AP and Guice because Haskins has almost zero accuracy throwing the ball. As a QB, I'd knock him even below Daniel Jones and Sam Darnold.

On offense, I'd say follow the same blueprint but get Williams and AJ going more so that we can enforce our will on their defense once the game is in the 4th.

Well we should have a clincher here if the Cowboys do their job and beat the Bears on Thursday. The only other team that would be in the hunt with a reasonable chance is the LA Rams, but I believe they will lose to Seattle next week giving us the tie breaker over them.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, yes a little unclear still on all the playoff clinch tie breaker scenarios, but it would appear a W vs Washington, a Cowboys W over Chicago, plus a Seahawks W over the LA Rams and that would put us officially in the playoffs.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well ok I can see how that goes. Pretty far fetched it would appear though as I don't see the Rams winning out with three 11-5 NFC W teams.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, on another note, if the Packers win this Sunday, Matt LaFleur will become the first franchise HC since Curly Lambeau to win 10 games or more in his inaugural season.

D

Deleted member 6794

The winning magic number for the Packers is currently 3. In other words, to guarantee a playoff spot they have to win at least 3 more games. Of course this will change each week. But beating the Skins alone won't do it.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nfcwinmagicnumbers.html

This has Packers win over the skins and not making the playoffs. Just one possiblity.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/mac...1127980~1~401127975~2~401127991~2~401127990~2

Actually, if the Packers beat the Vikings winning one more game would be enough to clinch the division.

Arodgers12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easy win at home. If we show up we will win. We should start preparing for the Bears lol.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Easy win at home. If we show up we will win. We should start preparing for the Bears lol.
I certainly hope the Packers don’t go into the game with that attitude. I’m sure there were Eagles fans with that assumption going in to Miami.

Reaction score
Do what I do.
Convince my self their going to lose, then when they win.
I can say: "Mike, you dump @ss, you have to be more confident in your team."

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly hope the Packers don’t go into the game with that attitude. I’m sure there were Eagles fans with that assumption going in to Miami.

I can't see our guys having that attitude at all. Not when the division has to be won still and not when there's the potential to clinch a playoff spot with this win.

Now with some of our run defense's problems, I'd still be a bit concerned if the Redskins got it going like they did last week. But if they can't do that and fall behind Rodgers and the offense early, they're very much in trouble with Haskins passing accuracy level.

Arodgers12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys worry too much. We're playing at home against a 3-9 team. They were one of the worst teams in football. It's in Lambeau so this is a guaranteed win if we just show up.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Somewhere down the line special teams has to show up and give the team help to take some pressure off the Defense, and makes some plays to help offense..

D

Deleted member 6794

I can't see our guys having that attitude at all. Not when the division has to be won still and not when there's the potential to clinch a playoff spot with this win.

The Packers can't clinch a playoff spot this week.

You guys worry too much. We're playing at home against a 3-9 team. They were one of the worst teams in football. It's in Lambeau so this is a guaranteed win if we just show up.

The Panthers, who played the Packers tough at Lambeau, just lost to the Redskins at home on Sunday.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well do not show up overconfident there! Just win one game at a time!

Which has been the way we've done it most the season.

It was a little surprising but not all that shocking that the Redskins won in Charlotte. The Panthers have a lot of problems among which may be their HC losing his job at season's end. It's the Redskins I believe who may be showing up feeling they can beat anyone at the moment, but I think they'll get a good reminder in this game of why they are 3-9 and not 9-3.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers can't clinch a playoff spot this week.

The Panthers, who played the Packers tough at Lambeau, just lost to the Redskins at home on Sunday.

This has been a goofy season at times. It seems every team has a stinker, even the top teams. NO lost to Atlanta earlier. Who thought NE would lose to the Texans? I doubt many foresaw us losing to the Chargers. We have to approach this week like we did in NJ. If we don't screw up and get a couple of turnovers we should win, especially at Lambeau.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm not really worried, but there's no such thing as a guaranteed win in today's football. Seen enough games to know that.

Now, the Packers no doubt will be highly favored to win this game as they should be. I also think the Redskins have probably played the best football we're going to see out of them the last two weeks and have a game similar to the Giants in which they find out they can't hang with a good team for 4 whole quarters.

But even good teams do not get to overlook the raddy ones and assume the W is just sitting there on a silver platter. We come out firing early on offense and cause turnovers on D, I like our chances. If the defense allows the Redskins running game to do well though ... We may find ourselves in a bigger dogfight than we anticipated.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Basically the key to this game is simply to make sure that the Packers don't let the running game beat them. If game script allows (and even if it doesn't), WAS is going to try to run the ball 40+ times. If that isn't super effective, they will lose.

Thankfully, Kenny Clark has looked more like his old self since the bye week. That will help quite a bit. And ironically, it appears that Ibraheim Campbell is a stouter run defender than Blake Martinez.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok I guess we would need to still beat Chicago next week in addition to winning this week even if Dallas beats them on Thursday and the Seahawks beat the Rams Sunday. Granted a Seahawks W could hurt our chances for top seeding if they get it, but nonetheless as a Packer fan I'm just desperate to get back into them to make sure this team gets the fire back under their butts.

D

Deleted member 6794

This has been a goofy season at times. It seems every team has a stinker, even the top teams. NO lost to Atlanta earlier. Who thought NE would lose to the Texans? I doubt many foresaw us losing to the Chargers.

In my opinion the Saints losing to the Falcons at hone was the most stunning upset of the ones you mentioned. The Chargers are better than their record might indicate and the Texans are a playoff team.

Ok I guess we would need to still beat Chicago next week in addition to winning this week even if Dallas beats them on Thursday and the Seahawks beat the Rams Sunday. Granted a Seahawks W could hurt our chances for top seeding if they get it, but nonetheless as a Packer fan I'm just desperate to get back into them to make sure this team gets the fire back under their butts.

The Packers would clinch a playoff spot by winning their next two games if the Rams lose one of their next two.

If the Vikings lose to the Lions this week the Packers would clinch the division title by winning their next two.

It's unrealistic to expect the Packers to get the top seed as the Seahawks and Niners would have both to lose another two games and the Saints another conference game.

Members online

Latest posts