Week 14 - Washington Redskins - Playoff Clincher Opportunity?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion the Saints losing to the Falcons at hone was the most stunning upset of the ones you mentioned. The Chargers are better than their record might indicate and the Texans are a playoff team.

The Packers would clinch a playoff spot by winning their next two games if the Rams lose one of their next two.

If the Vikings lose to the Lions this week the Packers would clinch the division title by winning their next two.

It's unrealistic to expect the Packers to get the top seed as the Seahawks and Niners would have both to lose another two games and the Saints another conference game.

Yes, the Texans are a playoff team but as I said I doubt many thought NE would lose to them last Sunday.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, the Texans are a playoff team but as I said I doubt many thought NE would lose to them last Sunday.

I agree but it was hardly as big a surprise as the Saints losing at home to the Falcons.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pack won the last super bowl as the final seed in the play offs. I believe our only hope is for the offense to get a lot better. And I think they need to spread around the ball to do that. A long shot but the only thing we can do imho is to trust the receivers that we have. And don't waste throws to the dump off flats when they are being covered like a blanket. When the defenses do that; either the dump off has to be in the middle or the RBs have to run up to the defender and then decide where to go. No lollygagging to the flat. They have a little time to get a bit deeper and put the defender on his heels. When we need more protection (e.g. San Fran and others) I would try Mercedes as a fullback so he can actually see which pass rusher is making the first move.

GBowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, the Cowboys are laying an egg in Chicago right now. Second, there is no such thing as an easy win. Third, this Packers team better bring more intensity than they’ve been showing or they will watch the playoffs from home like us. The remaining schedule scares the hell out of me. I can see losing to the Vikings and the Bears as a real possibility. Hell, the Lions always play tough at home. I’m afraid the Pack will be lucky to finish 11-5.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The Bears tonight played a team that is not as good as their record says. Most if not all their wins are vs bottom dwellers. Packers lose all three remaining division games? Not this year. Unlikely to lose two and a decent chance to sweep the division.

D

Deleted member 6794

Third, this Packers team better bring more intensity than they’ve been showing or they will watch the playoffs from home like us. The remaining schedule scares the hell out of me. I can see losing to the Vikings and the Bears as a real possibility. Hell, the Lions always play tough at home. I’m afraid the Pack will be lucky to finish 11-5.

The Packers are rightfully favourites in three of their remaining games and should at least finish the season 12-4 winning the division if they perform up to expectations.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trey Quinn and Paul Richardson ruled OUT for Sunday.

I'm not even sure who is considered the "top WR" for Washington but I imagine we should have zero problems other than from the TE position....is Jordan Reed even healthy?

I anticipate INTs by King, Alexander, and Savage with Dwayne Haskins' accuracy issues.

Last edited:

GBowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Bears tonight played a team that is not as good as their record says. Most if not all their wins are vs bottom dwellers. Packers lose all three remaining division games? Not this year. Unlikely to lose two and a decent chance to sweep the division.

I’m hoping to get the W against the skins and Lions. I see no way we beat the Vikings at home. And the Bears are scary. Never know which team will show up. I’m sticking with 11-5 and will be very happy at 12-4. 13-3 would be incredible. This team isn’t that good.

D

Deleted member 6794

Trey Quinn and Paul Richardson ruled OUT for Sunday.

I'm not even sure who is considered the "top WR" for Washington but I imagine we should have zero problems other than from the TE position....is Jordan Reed even healthy?

I anticipate INTs by King, Alexander, and Savage with Dwayne Haskins' accuracy issues.

Rookie Terry McLaurin is their top receiver with 42 catches for 646 yards and five touchdowns so far this season. Interestingly he was selected with the pick after the Packers drafted Sternberger.

I’m hoping to get the W against the skins and Lions. I see no way we beat the Vikings at home. And the Bears are scary. Never know which team will show up. I’m sticking with 11-5 and will be very happy at 12-4. 13-3 would be incredible. This team isn’t that good.

Once again, the Packers are 9-3 and will be favored in three of their remaining games, therefore they're definitely good enough to win a total of 12 games.

While the game at Minnesota will be tough to win the Packers definitely have a chance to do so.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, while it's true that anything is possible in this league and we still need to play the Redskins tough, it's just beyond stupid to say that a 9-3 team isn't a good one. Just ridiculously stupid and ignoramus.

As to this game, well the Redskins have won two in a row, but one team was starting Jeff Driskel and the other just fired the HC. They have a good running game but a poor passing game, so limit the damage of Adrian Peterson and Darrius Guice like we did Saquon Barkley last week and that should be the winning formula.

Not to look ahead, but I'm not that worried about the Bears game either. I mean it is a division rivalry so we can expect their best shot, but I'd say their record could be just as easily deceiving. Barely beating a Staffordless Lions team twice, Giants team, and a Cowboys team that's been playing awful football on the road and could choke away the division isn't really telling me much.

Out of all our remaining games, only the Vikings game concerns me because of the potential implications it could have, and because of Rodgers struggles in the UBS dome. But unless Stafford magically returns in week 17 and the Lions just get crazy healthy, there's absolutely no reason not to finish 12-4, and I'm pretty sure these awful posters saying this isn't a good team had us finishing 5-11 before the season started.

Reaction score
First, the Cowboys are laying an egg in Chicago right now. Second, there is no such thing as an easy win. Third, this Packers team better bring more intensity than they’ve been showing or they will watch the playoffs from home like us. The remaining schedule scares the hell out of me. I can see losing to the Vikings and the Bears as a real possibility. Hell, the Lions always play tough at home. I’m afraid the Pack will be lucky to finish 11-5.
Well GBdowner I just appreciate your honesty. Not everyone is so sure about being unsure. I mean, sure... and I can only speak for myself here, but I’m unsure about the final stretch. I guess you could say we’re suffering from a degree of unsurelessness

Last edited:

GBowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, while it's true that anything is possible in this league and we still need to play the Redskins tough, it's just beyond stupid to say that a 9-3 team isn't a good one. Just ridiculously stupid and ignoramus.

As to this game, well the Redskins have won two in a row, but one team was starting Jeff Driskel and the other just fired the HC. They have a good running game but a poor passing game, so limit the damage of Adrian Peterson and Darrius Guice like we did Saquon Barkley last week and that should be the winning formula.

Not to look ahead, but I'm not that worried about the Bears game either. I mean it is a division rivalry so we can expect their best shot, but I'd say their record could be just as easily deceiving. Barely beating a Staffordless Lions team twice, Giants team, and a Cowboys team that's been playing awful football on the road and could choke away the division isn't really telling me much.

Out of all our remaining games, only the Vikings game concerns me because of the potential implications it could have, and because of Rodgers struggles in the UBS dome. But unless Stafford magically returns in week 17 and the Lions just get crazy healthy, there's absolutely no reason not to finish 12-4, and I'm pretty sure these awful posters saying this isn't a good team had us finishing 5-11 before the season started.

My statement refers to the 13-3 ‘possibility’. Are they a good team, yes, ok. Are they a 13-3 team? Not in my opinion. They sure as hell aren’t championship caliber. See the west coast games for examples. Next year? I sure hope so.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, hence why I think they'll be 12-4 at the end of this, which even if it's not going to give us HFA or beat SF or SEA, it's still better than what most people expected.

But still, you just can't pack it in until the season is over because these playoff games can tell very different stories.

So long as the Ravens, Texans or Chiefs eviscerate the Pats in the playoffs, and i think any one of those teams could, I'm calling it a successful season lol.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rookie Terry McLaurin is their top receiver with 42 catches for 646 yards and five touchdowns so far this season. Interestingly he was selected with the pick after the Packers drafted Sternberger.

Ouch, that hurts. I think I mocked McLaurin at least once to us. But I also did Sternberger, including in Amish's contest too. If we had McLaurin, with what he became in Washington....I'd say we could be undefeated at home right now.

D

Deleted member 6794

They have a good running game but a poor passing game, so limit the damage of Adrian Peterson and Darrius Guice like we did Saquon Barkley last week and that should be the winning formula.

Unfortunately running the football is the best way to move the ball against the Packers defense.

My statement refers to the 13-3 ‘possibility’. Are they a good team, yes, ok. Are they a 13-3 team? Not in my opinion. They sure as hell aren’t championship caliber. See the west coast games for examples. Next year? I sure hope so.

In my opinion it's strange that you don't consider that the Packers to be good enough to finish the season 13-3 when they're most likely only a way at Minnesota away from achieving it.

I agree that they're not a championship caliber team though.

Ouch, that hurts. I think I mocked McLaurin at least once to us. But I also did Sternberger, including in Amish's contest too. If we had McLaurin, with what he became in Washington....I'd say we could be undefeated at home right now.

There's no doubt that drafting McLaurin would have been a better option than Sternberger for this season at least.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This Packers team may not be of championship caliber but we all have to admit is is better than we thought before the season started. We all wondered if MFL and Rodgers could work with each other and from here it looks like they can. They are still working out some bugs but for the most part the offense operates pretty well outside of a couple of games. Rodgers still is hesitant to throw to open receivers. Is he thinking too much and/or are his bad habits from the past couple of years that hard to shake?

The defense for me is the bigger disappointment. I like the FAs we acquired but for all of the investment on that side of the ball we should be seeing better results. We still give up a disturbing number of big plays. There seem to be some communication issues in the secondary even after a dozen games. We all thought this D would be a top 10 unit. :unsure:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There seem to be some communication issues in the secondary even after a dozen games. We all thought this D would be a top 10 unit. :unsure:
This is what gets me, it wasn't there in the beginning, and most of that seemed to be much better last year vs the last year with Capers. it was nice to see guys actually covering and even though it might have been completed, they were tackled right away, not running wide open.

This year we got a better pass rush, and better in the secondary personnel wise. but the communication seems to be worse starting about week 5? Frustrating. They play a lot well, a complete pass is tackled right away etc. But these big chunk plays where someone isn't doing their job is frustrating. They really hurt for one, and they can be a lot better than that.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
This Packers team may not be of championship caliber but we all have to admit is is better than we thought before the season started. :unsure:

Oh, for sure. Truthfully, I was 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 range...so absolutely its been better. I agree with your other statement that I thought the D would be putting us there ... so many contradictions where the D is concerned ... getting turnovers and all but couldn't stop a runny nose in the process. Still, I won't give back any of the 9 wins. :)

...and then, and I have nothing to support this with, but, I think Aaron's search for a win in the vast desert of Minneapolis - someone called it the Aviary Death scene, or something like that - will finally result in a W there... law of averages maybe?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Packers inactives today:
  • WR Ryan Grant
  • CB Kevin King
  • RB Dexter Williams
  • CB Tony Brown
  • CB Ka'dar Hollman
  • G/T Adam Pankey
  • T Yosh Nijmans
Why was Ryan Grant signed on 10/16?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Less than 90 minutes til kickoff....here's my hot take. This is a tale of two quarterbacks. The Redskins have already come out to say that they're "going to make Aaron Rodgers beat them". Pettine has already said to expect to see more heavy sets than usual.

One quarterback keeps his team going, the other can't seem to find his rhythm. Down late into the 2nd half that same quarterback starts to make some costly mistakes.

Packers beat Redskins, 34 - 19.

EDIT - Pulled 6 points for King being out.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers inactives today:
  • WR Ryan Grant
  • CB Kevin King
  • RB Dexter Williams
  • CB Tony Brown
  • CB Ka'dar Hollman
  • G/T Adam Pankey
  • T Yosh Nijmans
Why was Ryan Grant signed on 10/16?
Adams was injured, and nobody else was really stepping up in his place. But in time, he came back and Lazard has picked up. He wasn't going to step in and play right away, he needed time. The other part is, he may have been signed for some insurance, but it's likely he's not all that good right now either. he was available for a reason and it wasn't because he was expensive.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, that's why I suggested Josh Doctson or prior to this stabbing incident Terrelle Pryor. He's just fraudulently holding a roster spot. I don't expect to see him on the field at all. He'll be cut the moment we're knocked out of the playoffs. If you ask me that's Evan Baylis' or Randy Ramsey's spot.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If there was ever a game for Josh Jackson to get back into the good graces of the coaches, it's this one. With King out, if Washington goes to 4 and 5 WR sets it's either going to be him, or Will Redmond. If we're up by at least a TD, I'd hope they trot Jackson out there and see how it he plays.

I'll be curious how Gute treats this situation in the offseason. TT stuck with "his guys" with never-ending furor. Be interesting to see how loyal Gute is to his own.

H

HardRightEdge

I agree that they're not a championship caliber team though.
That was my assessment at the start of the year and nothing has changed my mind. Stranger things have happened, I suppose, but far from my expectations.

They're still a good 2020 draft away. They're probably going to finish better than the high end of my projection of 11 wins but outstanding red zone and turnover performance alone isn't enough to go all the way.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, that's why I suggested Josh Doctson or prior to this stabbing incident Terrelle Pryor. He's just fraudulently holding a roster spot. I don't expect to see him on the field at all. He'll be cut the moment we're knocked out of the playoffs. If you ask me that's Evan Baylis' or Randy Ramsey's spot.

You're probably right, but I am curious as to whether or not he's better at catching and not fumbling the football than GMo. Unfortunately we'll probably never get to find out because these last three games are just too important to afford playing unproven guys like him.

Members online

Latest posts