Weak Super Bowl Team?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I have a friend who lives in upstate New York, he hasn't disclosed what team he supports. But he keeps insisting that last year's Packers were one of the weakest Super Bowl teams ever and they will be quickly forgotten. It is an intriguing question.

Now I know this is a biased site, and should be. But what I want to know from you folks, are there any statistics or other analyses to debunk such thinking? Or is my friend right?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see why he would say that. We barely made the playoffs.

But we also never lost a game by more than 4 points and dominated the playoffs minus the Bears game.

Packers lead the league in Passer rating Differential, defensive passer rating, yards per point allowed, and were 3rd in passing yards per attempt. All while losing more starters than any NFC team.

While not as statistically dominate as some other winning SB teams, it was an extremely good team.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
A 10 - 6 team does not seem like a great force, and we kind of weren't. Though the amazing thing was we did it with all the injuries, which kind of supports the fact we weren't the best team, we had 2 coaches fired after the games they played us. And the Packers aren't a big city team that doesn't cry out, PAY ATTENTION TO ME.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
We beat the top 3 seeds in the NFC pretty easily and the Super Bowl was much closer than it should have been. James Jones' dropped TD pass in the first half made the game closer than it should have been. We had some low points in the regular season....losing to Miami and Washington, but again, never lost a game by more than 4 points and three games in OT. We were HANDS DOWN the best team in the playoffs. You can't even argue that.

No one remembers regular season records. The only people that do are haters. Do you think 20 years from now anyone will remember that the Patriots were 14-2 last year and were the really good in the regular season? No, no one will care. All they will remember is who won the Super Bowl. Your friend is stupid.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Really???? The Packers made it to the Super Bowl Down 6 starters and a total of 15 on IR. That does not count the players like jenkins and driver who were playing hurt. We dominated the first half of the Super Bowl until Woodson, Shields and Collins went out with injuries. Shields and Collins came back but were diminished. The Steelers did not start to scoring until this happened. I think the Super Bowl is a blowout if we didn't lose so many people in the first half. oh lets not forget Jordie playing injured at the end of the fourth. That was the story of the season. The fact that we hung in there with all the injuries throughout the season shows the strength of the team. Talent and Depth.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Ivo610 is correct, the Packers didn't lose a game by more than 4 points and not only that, they never trailed by more than 7 points in any game. But I wouldn't even get that far until I asked your friend, 'What statistics or analysis did you use to arrive at that conclusion?' (The burden of supporting his view is on him - until he does there's nothing to refute except an unsubstantiated opinion.)

Then I would ask him which team he supports and if it's a decent team (not Buffalo), I'd ask if he'd like to wager which team (his or the Packers) finishes with a better record.

Finally I would say, 'Since you believe the Packers were one of the weakest Super Bowl teams ever you must believe they'll miss the playoffs this season as many Super Bowl teams do in the season following their Super Bowl appearance. Would you care to wager that the Packers will miss the playoffs this season?

If he doesn't take either bet, I'd paraphrase Ron Wolf and say, 'Since you can't or won't back up your opinion, it's just a fart in wind to me.'

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
He's from the Adirondacks, so there is a good chance he is a Giants, Patriots, or Jets fan. He may even be a Cowboys fan, they seem to have a bunch of those up there. He believes the Packers might make the wild card and be one and done. Your funny paraphrase of Ron Wolf is also reminiscent of something Martin Luther said.

OP
OP
Croak

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
We once were closer, but I moved away and kind of lost track of him until we re-connected on Facebook.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if you're not a Packers fan, you'd wonder why we lost to the Dolphins, Redskins and Lions. I mean if you're a fan of one team you wouldn't follow up on 31 other teams mostly. That being said, he should know winning the Title against seeds #1-3 in the playoffs on the road no less then completely dominating AFC's #2 seed for a half before injuries accumulated more than makes up for that.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah, people say the Canucks were a weak team because they didn't win the cup, but they were the best team in the league in the reg season and made it to the final. Unless they are the best team in the reg season and they win it all some jealous fans will hate, who cares? We have the rings.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a stats guy. At all. All I know is what I see. So I don't give a flying F what is on paper.
Even if the Packers had won the SB by a score of 2-0, it wouldn't matter to me. All that matters is that they won.

Seems like sour grapes by your friend.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Ok guys, here's something done by another Packer fan posted on another board. Noramlly I don't link to other boards but this is a good read. Long but the guy did some good work.

What are the qualifications for being a Superior Team?

One or more of the following must be true:

1) The team has completed 20 consecutive regular season games without a decisive loss (7+pt). This is applied retroactively and the team is a qualified team from the first game of the decisive loss free streak.

2) The team has completed 25 consecutive regular season games while only having 1 decisive loss (7+pt) in that span. Likewise qualification is applied retroactively to the start of the streak.

3) The team has completed 30 consecutive regular season games while only having 2 decisive losses (7+pt) in that span. Likewise qualification is applied retroactively to the start of the streak.

4) If a qualifying consecutive game streak is no longer active, the team is considered an inactive Superior Team for the remainder of that season and the following season. Likewise Superior Team status is applied retroactively to the season prior to the season where the streak started.
PackersNews.net Forum :: View topic - Superior Teams

Mods, if you have problem with this, delete it or move it. I won't object.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I'm not a stats guy. At all. All I know is what I see. So I don't give a flying F what is on paper.
Even if the Packers had won the SB by a score of 2-0, it wouldn't matter to me. All that matters is that they won.

Seems like sour grapes by your friend.

Exactly. Like I said before, 20 years from now, no one will remember who had the best regular season record in 2010. Why? Because no one cares about that. I couldn't tell you who had the best regular season record in 1991....but I know that the Redskins won the Super Bowl.

The only thing any NFL fan 20 years from now will remember about this last season was that the Packers won their 13th NFL Championship.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Ok guys, here's something done by another Packer fan posted on another board. Noramlly I don't link to other boards but this is a good read. Long but the guy did some good work.

For a guy that isn't a Packer fan you sure spend a lot of time on Packer forums. Lol. Nicely done though. Good post.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Forums that don't allow other links are run by nazis.

Oh, and what a great find Raptorman. Thanks a lot for that article, it is trully great.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
The friend sounds kind of like a d-bag. I suggest you only have Packer Fan Friends. PFF's.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Tell your friend that the Packers have a shiny new sterling silver trophy from Tiffany and Co. that says his opinion isn't worth a bucket of warm spit. :icon_lol:

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
If the Packers could not represent the NFC, who would? The Iggles lost TWICE to the Packers. The Dirty Birds was made to look like a college team by the Packers. And the BEARS???? PULEEZE! The Taints got beat by a 7-9 team, and the 7-9 Seacocks shouldn't have even sniffed a playoff game.

And it still comes down to if the Packers were a weak team, how did they win 3 road playoff games and then a Superbowl? Nope, I deny they were a weak team.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Forums that don't allow other links are run by nazis.

Oh, and what a great find Raptorman. Thanks a lot for that article, it is trully great.
I just don't like to step on anyones toes. And some mods may think I am pushing another forum.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Well if the Packers were weak winning all their playoff games on the road, what does that say about all the other teams in the playoffs this year? I'd even listen to "lucky" since everyone wants to say it, but to go through the 1,2,3 seeded NFC teams and the #2 seeded AFC team and AFCCG winner and be considered WEAK?
Even BrInt lovers can't make that reach.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts