We should just tank the season

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And get a top 10 draft pick. Honestly, and I hate to say this, but this brand of Packers this season isn't fit nor built for any kind of deep playoff run. I see us being one and done if we make the playoffs.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they should keep trying.
And even if they were to tank, how would a top draft pick help? Who has been really good that is helping us?
Besides Aaron, have any of the other players been drafted?
I kid because he is the only Packer the announcers go on ad nauseum during every single friggen Packers game of how he was their first choice and how long he had to wait to be picked!
Jeez. Enough of that story!
Why don't they talk about other Packers who do really good and were also drafted?

Reaction score
The best thing for the GB Packers is to continue to improve each week. If we put together a couple of wins we are very much alive and could realistically be a spoiler for MN or Detroit because they are not playing that much better. Plus MN in Lambeau to finish the season is a favorable matchup. We owe them that much.
Each year is building off the strengths of the previous year and taking the approach of putting our tails between our legs going forward is a lowly thing for any coach in this league to emulate

NYPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is absurd. The division is well within reach, one game out of first in the division with 3 of the remaining 7 games against divisional opponents.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And get a top 10 draft pick. Honestly, and I hate to say this, but this brand of Packers this season isn't fit nor built for any kind of deep playoff run. I see us being one and done if we make the playoffs.

The Packers have had four top ten draft picks in the last 24 years. They are: cb Terrell Buckley (5th) in 1992, de Jamal Reynolds (10th) in 2001, lb A.J. Hawk (5th) in 2006, nt B.J. Raji (9th) in 2009.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They aren't already? Sure could have fooled me the last 2 weeks.

Seriously though, there's no reason to even consider tanking. If we continue to play as poorly as we have been, we won't be winning many more games, whether we're trying or not. Losing and getting a higher pick will take care of itself if we continue to suck.

If we don't, then the flip side of it is we play in a totally winnable division and if we get hot we could be asking in 2 months if we're a team that could make a run in the playoffs, regardless of what happened mid season this year. So much changes over the course of an NFL season.

So as always, we should wait and see what happens. You only get 16 guaranteed Packer games per year, I'd never want to throw away one, even if they haven't been much fun to watch lately.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you should bite your tongue, or slam your fingers in a door. Whichever keeps you from saying such things :) If you play to lose, you become what the Lions were for so long. I don't want to be what the Lions were, or the Browns are.

H

HardRightEdge

Lose on purpose? Terrible idea under any circumstances.

And to move up a few spots? That's selling your soul on the cheap.

D

Deleted member 6794

While it's only a slim chance considering the way the Packers played over the last two games it's possible the team gets hot at the end of the season like they did in 2010. There's absokutely no reason to tank in the NFL especially when still be in the hunt for a postseason berth.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"We" have nothing to do with "tanking" the season or not. The Packers certainly won't or couldn't anyway since that would be a fraud, like the Black Sox scandal.

As bad as the last two games have been, as others have pointed out, the Packers are still in the race for the division and the playoffs.

They are currently 2-1 against the NFC North. Detroit and Minnesota have already taken two losses in-division each. Only the Bears are even with Green Bay at 1 in-division loss; and the Packers hung that one on them.

The Packers are 3-3 on their NFC record. Only Dallas, Washington, Detroit, Seattle and Arizona have fewer losses but with the exception of the Cowboys (1) every one else has at least two intra-conference losses so the Pack is down just one there.

Lakekab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2010 Green Bay Packers season
Although they finished with 10–6 record, good for a second-place finish in the NFC North, the Packers went on to win the Super Bowl. They entered the playoffs as the NFC's sixth seed. After defeating the Philadelphia Eagles 21–16 in the Wild Card round, the Atlanta Falcons 48–21 in the Divisional round and the Bears 21–14 in the NFC Championship, the team advanced to Super Bowl XLV in which they faced the AFC's 2nd seed Pittsburgh Steelers. The Packers defeated the Steelers 31–25 to win their fourth Super Bowl and 13th NFL championship.
It's not over till the fat lady sings, anything can happen!

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

2010 Green Bay Packers season
Although they finished with 10–6 record, good for a second-place finish in the NFC North, the Packers went on to win the Super Bowl.

I hate the comparison to the 2010 team. This team really isn't anything like 2010 season. The Packers lost 6 games that year by a combined 20 points. Two of them in OT. We lost last week by more points than that. We also had a top defense nearly all year. And were getting turnovers at a crazy rate. Not to mention DPOY candidate leading our defense in perhaps the best year of his HoF career.

So while I feel this team doesn't deserve to be in the same breath as the 2010, and we will lose to most dominant teams in the NFC. Tanking on purpose is ridiculous and would make me lose all respect for the team. You play to win every week, and if you end up with high draft pick so be it.

I don't want my son watching Packer games where they are tanking on purpose. Not what I want to teach him about life.

Robert Mason

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nein.... Since no one is mathematically eliminated at this point it all comes down to who plays well in December.

God does do miracles ! Remember the 1969 Mets ?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is absurd. The division is well within reach, one game out of first in the division with 3 of the remaining 7 games against divisional opponents.

I wouldn't be in favor of them tanking if they were 0-9 and competing with the Browns for the first pick.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be in favor of them tanking if they were 0-9 and competing with the Browns for the first pick.
I agree about tanking. Additionally, the first pick is no guarantee anyway. Alex Smith was picked number one overall the year Rodgers fell to the Packers. And Smith isn't really a bust compared to many other number one overall failures.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Well you are now the official Tank Commander. Wear your uniform with Pride....
You must be logged in to see this image or video!