'We probably should have kept him (Rodgers) off IR'

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quote from Clay Matthews.

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...dgers-we-probably-should-have-kept-him-off-ir

I would only be pissed off if he were healthy enough to play in the Pittsburgh game. Right now, I could care less if he plays vs the Browns or Tampa. You can also read this as good news as it's basically expected he'll be back week 15 @ Carolina. But I don't consider it good news considering I find it damn near impossible to not only make the playoffs, but win the Super Bowl even if we do get in considering we would need to win 9 straight to win the Lombardi. Thoughts?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

http://www.espn.com/blog/green-bay-...dgers-we-probably-should-have-kept-him-off-ir

I would only be pissed off if he were healthy enough to play in the Pittsburgh game. Right now, I could care less if he plays vs the Browns or Tampa. You can also read this as good news as it's basically expected he'll be back week 15 @ Carolina. But I don't consider it good news considering I find it damn near impossible to not only make the playoffs, but win the Super Bowl even if we do get in considering we would need to win 9 straight to win the Lombardi. Thoughts?

It wouldn't be the first time we won 9 straight. We won 8 straight last year and 8 wins gets us in the SB. Once you're there, anything can happen. As for the Pittsburgh game, he isn't ready yet.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's none of Matthews' business and therefore he shouldn't talk about it to the media.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty much everything about clay Matthews rubs me the wrong way these days, what a putz, maybe instead of debating front office moves with the media his time would be better spent locating a new source of HGH.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I haven't listened to his presser so I don't know the context in which he was speaking. Was it a light hearted, halfway serious way of saying that it's remarkable how much progress Rodgers has made, or was he insinuating the Packers made a mistake?

I'm not going to fault the Packers for putting Rodgers on IR, although I was hoping they wouldn't. It made sense to do it for a few reasons:

1. Putting him on IR eliminated the temptation to potentially bring him back too early.
2. Why have Rodgers waste a roster spot if there was never consideration to rush him back?
3. They did the math on how long it would take the average person to recover and be ready to play, given that this is an injury that happened to a quarterback on his throwing shoulder
4. I'm sure they looked at the schedule and saw that it had Tampa and Cleveland in the two games before the 8 week period would elapse, and we know how confident the organization is with the talent on this team, right or wrong.

So I'm not going to say the Packers made a mistake with the current benefit of being able to use hindsight.

Also, I would say that for Clay, if he was being even halfway serious, he needs to be more concerned with getting his defense to perform at a respectable level in order to help the team win more games without Aaron Rodgers.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure they looked at the schedule and saw that it had Tampa and Cleveland in the two games before the 8 week period would elapse, and we know how confident the organization is with the talent on this team, right or wrong.
I keep thinking about how McCarthy is fond of saying that the Packers are nobody's underdogs. I've been wondering if he's kept that same attitude during this recent streak without Rodgers. My guess is that he has.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just heard his comments last night on the radio and I'm pretty confident he wasn't literally meaning that Rodgers could be out there playing already, just relaying that he seems to be doing really well in his recovery.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers dont need to bring AR back this season. Risking further injury isnt worth it. If they had a defense that doesnt suck it would be a different decision. Give Hundley his time under center and hope the Packers can address their needs on offense with higher draft picks.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wouldn't be the first time we won 9 straight. We won 8 straight last year and 8 wins gets us in the SB. Once you're there, anything can happen. As for the Pittsburgh game, he isn't ready yet.

Winning out made the organization think they were closer to a SB than they really were. Rodgers was the only reason for that streak. Once they faced a great team, they melted down like they usually do.

Quite frankly I'm not interested in another streak that leads to inevitable playoff heartbreak. Losing out may be the only way to get rid of the GM and certain coaches.

Let's put it this way, what did the winning streak mean to you after the NFC title game? Squat. They watched the SB at home just like the Browns and Rams.

I'm a realistic fan. This team has a bunch of aging receivers ( minus Adams), a 34 year old QB, no RB, and an atrocious D.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winning out made the organization think they were closer to a SB than they really were. Rodgers was the only reason for that streak. Once they faced a great team, they melted down like they usually do.

Quite frankly I'm not interested in another streak that leads to inevitable playoff heartbreak. Losing out may be the only way to get rid of the GM and certain coaches.

Let's put it this way, what did the winning streak mean to you after the NFC title game? Squat. They watched the SB at home just like the Browns and Rams.

I'm a realistic fan. This team has a bunch of aging receivers ( minus Adams), a 34 year old QB, no RB, and an atrocious D.

I mostly agree except for running back,
I think we may be good at running back if they can stay healthy.
I'm not counting Montgomery in the running back stable.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You do realize 30 teams did not play in the Super Bowl, right? And that Rodgers played in the NFC Championship Game? You post is full of illogical statements.

If you are only interested in Super Bowl teams, go root for the Steelers or Patriots. Every true Packers fan wants to win every game, period.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Paging Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Matthews...

Big difference between throwing a ball in practice and a game where 300# linemen are trying to plant you in the ground. He had surgery requiring plates and screws to fix broken clavicle 6 weeks ago but there are careers on the line at 1265 Lombardi Avenue so lets rush him back.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldnt say if it doesn't happen it won't happen, anything CAN happen (future tense, but if it doesn't happen, it DIDN'T happen!!

Reaction score
I wouldnt say if it doesn't happen it won't happen, anything CAN happen (future tense, but if it doesn't happen, it DIDN'T happen!!
I wouldn’t want to contradict your contractions so I would add ..”it would if it could but it can’t so it won’t” :tup:

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

No RB? So neither Jones and Williams don't count?

What is it about losing that makes people exaggerate?

And NFC Championship loss or not, that streak was extremely fun as a fan and I loved that it happened.

If you honestly prefer it wouldn't have happened or it doesn't again, I feel sorry for you since must rarely be happy when watching the Packers.

Members online

Latest posts