We are witnessing history with Gute

Born Sinner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but hear me out here...

Gute took over a team needing some severe changes in the approach it's been using for a long long time. Gute took this job with a lot of pressure on him. A franchise QB nearing the end of his prime and the goal to get that QB another ring or two. While all of us loved Jordy Nelson, the move was one that was both necessary and a direct message to the team. No, I don't think Gute did this to show everyone who's boss. He did this because he had to and he showed he isn't afraid to. This sends a message to the entire team that nobody's job is safe if it's not benefiting this team. Jordy will always be a Packer, and the fact that Gute had the guts to make a move that's going to be unpopular with the fans, but was a necessity shows promise and a huge cultural change within the front office.

To me, it started with the Randall trade. We need CB's, but maybe he didn't fit the scheme? Maybe his attitude was bad for the team? Who knows. What we do know is that our GM lived up to his promise and that is aggressiveness. Ted's approach had it's benefits, but it handicapped this team to the point of having a bottom 5 roster (talent wise) aside from Rodgers, yet being in the bottom 5 in cap space.

It's too soon to tell, but so far I absolutely LOVE Gute. He's aggressive, he's smart, he listens to what the coaches want, and he may very well be just as aggressive in the draft. I can't remember the last time being a bit surprised to not hear that the Packers are in talks with a free agent for an entire two days. I'm just expecting a CB to be signed. It's not wishful thinking anymore. We have a GM who wants to win now. Bless up Gute. You're making history here.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
He is gonna get us back to the Super Bowl without a doubt. I havent had this type of excitement for a several years regarding the direction of things. In fact i'm probably gonna go to my first NFL draft this year.

OP
OP
B

Born Sinner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya think?
New leadership, new MO. Could be just his style.

I meant I was exaggerating about witnessing history. Basically we’re not the Browns or Jaguars where a GM is making history. Gute does seem to have that type of impact though.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should I be the one to point out our last GM to check all the boxes that the OP laid out was Sherman?

I hope Gute kicks *** but this aggressive approach that so many around here are falling in love with blows up in GMs faces more often then not.

Being extremely aggressive is an approach that most posters around here have agreed isn't the best way to go and that they just wanted a more pro active appoach.....And now we have a thread about just how great it is that the GM is being so damn aggressive and they want him to be even more aggresive come draft time...... wish I could say I was surprised

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should I be the one to point out our last GM to check all the boxes that the OP laid out was Sherman?

I hope Gute kicks *** but this aggressive approach that so many around here are falling in love with blows up in GMs faces more often then not.

Being extremely aggressive is an approach that most posters around here have agreed isn't the best way to go and that they just wanted a more pro active appoach.....And now we have a thread about just how great it is that the GM is being so damn aggressive and they want him to be even more aggresive come draft time...... wish I could say I was surprised
I understand your scepticism, but he made two moves man. These guys havent really signed for big numbers either. Of course he is not as careful as TT was, but these moves werent as risky as you project them to be. Worst case scenario they both terribly suck this season and we have to cut Graham at the beginning of 2019. That gives us, about 10M in dead cap over 2 years? Woobdidoo

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when talking about a QB who's contract is going to eat up massive amounts of cap being done in the next season or so, 10 million that can't be used is going to be more than woobdidoo. Graham's contract isn't going to sink a team on it's own, but let's not act like it won't hurt if he doesn't live up to it.

Simms87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I like the moves so far, when I see how many „great“ pick ups in other years ended up being cut, leaving a ton of dead money, I‘m just not that positive. It would be very interesting to go through the top30 free agents signed (salary wise) in 2015 and 2016 and see how many of them ended up being cut. I would assume that the number is quite high.

I really like the Wilkerson move though, quite cheap and if he plays a good season, we‘ll also have „bought“ a comp pick in 2 years.

ESKYMOPACK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT's approach to managing a team works fantastic for a rebuilding team, as we were when TT took over from the Sherman debacle. We were cap strapped, and had soo many holes to fill even though we had our QB in place. But as we all know, every team has holes to fill, even if they're consistently making the playoffs, they lose players to FA, injury, or missing on a higher draft pick thought to fill that hole.

What happens when you draft players, and you waste 2-3 years finding out that player was a bust, and I can name quite a few high draft picks thought to start for us that TT missed on. Well, you HAVE to be aggressive with finding the RIGHT free agents to help fill those holes. We all know there's a large amount of players that would rather go to a warmer climate than to GB, or a bigger venue. It's a fact that TT has pursued FA's in the past only to sign elsewhere. But Gute is looking at EVERY player they think could help, starting with their preferences first, in the hopes of landing someone. We have to fell good about that. Rodgers window of opportunity is getting much smaller.

OP
OP
B

Born Sinner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the word “aggressive” is what’s misleading everyone into thinking Gute is some brainless and savage GM. Gute’s aggressiveness isn’t based on the fact that he signed Graham and Mo. Gute’s aggressiveness is beyond that. It’s not being afraid to make an unpopular move if the team needs it. Cutting Jordy must’ve been a really tough thing to do, and guaranteed he’d still be here making 12 million a year if Ted was in charge.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah moving on from Jordy is a statement. Moving on from a HOF QB coming off a great year and an NFCCG to a guy that played really in 1-2 games and broke a foot was child's play LOL

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do people need to be reminded that TT cut both of our starting guards at the start of his tenure because they wanted big money? This is a tried-and-true method to taking over the reigns. In TT's case, he didn't have a good solution in place to take their place. Let's hope that Gutekunst does. Of course, a lot of times a GM is just betting on ponies, hoping that when they get called to run in the big race that they make the GM look like a genius. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me, what is really going to be the ultimate tell all is how he drafts. A draft with as many picks as we have this year could make the team great for the next 5 years and longer. I saw Dallas do it with Jimmy Johnson and if Gute is able to see through the possibilities and make the solid picks; then he is a keeper. He needs to cut out the bs and wishful thinking of his scouts. Something I don't think TT was able to do.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get what you mean, generally, about Jimmy Johnson remaking the Cowboys roster.....but he had the benefit of all the high draft choices out of the Herschel Walker trade. Gutekunst doesn't have the benefit of 1-15 seasons to provide high draft choices and a rube like the Vikings to give away all of their picks.

D

Deleted member 6794

I definitely like Gutekunst being more aggressive in acquiring players as well but would advocate for taking a wait-and-see approach before declaring him a gret general manager. It will most likely take several years before it's possible to fairly evaluate his work.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I definitely like Gutekunst being more aggressive in acquiring players as well but would advocate for taking a wait-and-see approach before declaring him a gret general manager. It will most likely take several years before it's possible to fairly evaluate his work.

Unless the Packers go out and win the Super Bowl "this year".

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If if they did, you have to attribute most of that on the coaches unless his first year personnel moves directly contribute....such as drafting the offensive and defensive rookies of the year!

I'm in a rare position, agreeing with CaptainWIMM. You need to take the long approach when evaluating a GM's work, much like a president. Even if they make a bunch of moves/changes it's unlikely that they will have too much of an immediate impact.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand your scepticism, but he made two moves man. These guys havent really signed for big numbers either. Of course he is not as careful as TT was, but these moves werent as risky as you project them to be. Worst case scenario they both terribly suck this season and we have to cut Graham at the beginning of 2019. That gives us, about 10M in dead cap over 2 years? Woobdidoo
I hit agree on both of your posts... I agree that so far I'm OK with the things Gute has done... I don't think he has crossed that line into being overly aggressive .... yet. However, I also agree that we don't want a GM that does.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Releasing Jordy was in the best interest of the Green Bay Packers, as bad as it hurts for the casual fan to realize. BGK vowed to be aggressive, but in a smart way. The manner in which the contracts of the two additions to the team were constructed, if it doesn't work out, it isn't going to drown us long term. One year prove it deal for Mo, low guaranteed dollars on Graham. However, theoretically will prove to provide more production than what Jordy was able to provide.

If the approach that BGK is taking proves to yield better results on the field, you might see Rodgers be more inclined to take a little less money to increase the chances of getting more rings. I never blamed Rodgers in the past for wanting as much money as possible because my thought process was simple: Why would Rodgers play for less when it probably wouldn't result in being used to improve the team anyway?

With time, I think Rodgers might see that BGK is going to exhaust all methods to improve the roster. And it might result in Rodgers taking what would, for him, be a slight pay cut.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
2 for one

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I don't consider $13 million guaranteed for Graham to be a low number by any means.
I'm not going to pretend that I am a guru on contracts and guaranteed dollars and such, but with some of the contracts being thrown out the past few days, 13 million of 30+ million doesn't seem like an astronomical amount of money to me. From what I understand, all of the obligations to the Packers regarding Graham can be eradicated after this season if he flops.

He has top-5 TE talent especially with Rodgers throwing the rock. For the Packers to have snagged two guys basically at the expense of Jordy who could prove to be big time contributors, the Packers have done quite well.

Again, aggressive, but not careless. The biggest point for me was that neither of these signings will cause the Packers any long term cap issues. BGK is impressing me thus far.

Latest posts