Washington Football Team

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Washington has unveiled their new name... The Commanders. Can't say I'm thrilled with it... sounds very "expansion team"-ish or USFL. Would've much preferred Redwolves or a distant 2nd Redhogs. IMHO they missed on an opportunity with Commanders.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Washington has unveiled their new name... The Commanders. Can't say I'm thrilled with it... sounds very "expansion team"-ish or USFL. Would've much preferred Redwolves or a distant 2nd Redhogs. IMHO they missed on an opportunity with Commanders.
I don't know. To me anything with red in it reeks of clinginess. You're getting a new name. Move on.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed.

I preferred the generic Football Team. That was obvious and yet really unique!

Commanders just seems really dry and bland and does not generate any excitement at all.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Theisman(?) leaked the name over the weekend. A lot of issues with squatters registering many of the candidate names so that there were trademark issues if they were used. Or so he alluded to.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
is that real? What a let down. Glad i'm not a fan LOL

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. They did. Commanders falls in that Nationals, Senators, Generals, Capitals mode. Remember the old Washington: First in War. First in Peace. I like RedHots personally. They could probably sell more of them at the game.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are we discussing this when none of us are fans of them?
What else are we going to talk about?
How the Packers are going to win this year's Super Bowl?
(I wish!)
LOL

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Well I'm just waiting for all those who weren't "Commanders", just enlisted guys to protest this ... of course I also predicted all of the Williams in Buffalo were being persecuted ... and then they started winning.

So, Commanders it shall be.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They has 2 years to come up with a great name and they got Commanders?
Doesn't sound good at all to.
Can't stand it. Terrible name.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I think Red Wolves would have been a good team name but is already trade marked by Arkansas State. I guess Washington could have paid ASU for the use.
Previously they were the ASU Indians with this politically correct mascot "Jumpin Joe" but changed in 2008.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Commanders? As in the group that overthrew the U.S. Government in "A Handmaid's Tale?" How long before Al Sharpton points out that slave ships had commanders? It'll be routinely shortened to "Commies" by rival teams (already has lol).

Man, what a bad decision. I bet it's not going to stick for long.

Last edited:

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Commanders? As in the group that overthrew the U.S. Government in "A Handmaid's Tale?" How long before Al Sharpton points out that slave ships had commanders? It'll be routinely shortened to "Commies" by rival teams (already is lol).

Man, what a bad decision! I bet it's not going to stick for long.

I had the same thought from the Handmaid's Tale.
It's a good fit in light of the ****** harassment allegations against Danial Snyder.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Commanders? As in the group that overthrew the U.S. Government in "A Handmaid's Tale?" How long before Al Sharpton points out that slave ships had commanders? It'll be routinely shortened to "Commies" by rival teams (already has lol).

Man, what a bad decision. I bet it's not going to stick for long.
The age we live in. Funny. They could just go back to The Hogs. Do not know any farmers who would object. Maybe AOC.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, at least there would only be handful of folks who could have been genuinely POed.

Reaction score
The Washington Whimperers would’ve been more on point

Latest posts