Was it the Packers Def, or the Lions Off?

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think most will agree that the defense looked pretty good today...so was that a result of Bates and the personel, or was the Lions offense (in particular their line) not that good?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
id say both, but more the packers defense. jones didnt gash us like last time. so compare it to that...at least I am.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
just looking at stats (didn't get the game here) it looks like we kept kevin jones bottled up for the most part...something i didnt think we couldve done

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah 25 attempts for only 87 yards. thats..damn good...DAMN good, but our season is over(sarcasm) so who cares...we're 0-1...whens basketball season start

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was some of both. This game was played on about the same skill level as the Bears-Redskins game earlier in the day. Which is not good company to be in.

Packer defenders who were especially good today were Roman, Barnett, and KGB. I was pleasantly surprised that the Lions were not able to run the ball successfully at KGB. The secondary played very well, except for the holding penalties against Carroll. Aaron Kampman also played well. Cullen Jenkins was effective rushing the passer, but I still have doubts about him against the run.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
It was some of both. This game was played on about the same skill level as the Bears-Redskins game earlier in the day. Which is not good company to be in.
Right. Giving up 17 points shows that your defense is as good or better than Washington or Chicago's D. :wink:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
did you see how long the lions were on offense. with all the chances detroit had they shoulda had a hell of a lot more than 17. stupid

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
did you see how long the lions were on offense. with all the chances detroit had they shoulda had a hell of a lot more than 17. stupid
Does that mean that you were lucky to loose by "only" 14 points?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Greg C. said:
Right. Giving up 17 points shows that your defense is as good or better than Washington or Chicago's D. :wink:

Yes.

I'd like to congratulate the Bears team for playing such a stupendous game. Who'd EVER thought the Bears would only lose by 2 points in a game whose scores reminded everyone of a senators/cubs game.

Way to go Bears/Phil...Congratulations. You are off to your overachieving ways... AGAIN!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
lol. Yeah, the bears scored the only touchdown in that game..and lost. womp womp.
Yep. With a rookie QB starting his first NFL game and facing a very good defense on the road, they lost by only two points. How did the Packers do with Brett Favre at QB today? :stop:

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Philtration said:
Greg C. said:

Yes.

I'd like to congratulate the Bears team for playing such a stupendous game. Who'd EVER thought the Bears would only lose by 2 points in a game whose scores reminded everyone of a senators/cubs game.

Way to go Bears/Phil...Congratulations. You are off to your overachieving ways... AGAIN!
Guess your prediction of the Packers going 16-0 is in jeopardy eh?

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep.

I am SOOO glad that you learned public school math. That is all you will need to follow the scores of YOUR football team.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
The Packers stopped them six times three and out in a ROW. That's pretty good if you ask me and i know you did!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Yep.

I am SOOO glad that you learned public school math. That is all you will need to follow the scores of YOUR football team.

If the Packers keep putting up scores like they did today, then I will only need Kindergarten math. 1...2...3! :p

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with those who said it was probably a little of both. But 2 things I liked about the defense is I seen a lot of defenders swarming to the ball, and I didn't see defenders out of position as often as I did under Slowik.

We still need Grady to hold the fort in the middle, but a lot of the young guys around him were flying around which was good to see. And even though Harrington isn't a great QB, the Packer DBs had pretty decent coveage most of the day covering some pretty good receivers. The penalties Carroll keeps making were frustrating though.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AZ, like you, I also was pleased with what I saw on defense. What particularly impressed me were those occasions where the defender(s) tackled the runner a yard or two short of the 1st down marker. Didn't see a lot of that last year, where it usually seemed like if the runner was close he'd get the 1st down. Barnett particularly made an outstanding sideline tackle in the 1st half, wrapping up both of the runner's legs so the runner couldn't lunge for the 1st down.

If I were Bates I would move this group onto Chapter 2 - TURNOVERS. When your offense is sputtering, like it did yesterday, your D needs to put some points on the board. Furthermore, one way to cure Carroll's problems is to say, "Hey kid, next time they throw one your way, forget the receiver; instead, you catch the pass."

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i kept track of the Bears game on Game Day while watching the Vikings Game (hate both teams and was cheering for losses). The Bears were pathetic too. Sorry, the new QB isn't the latest version of Brett Favre. Guess the Bears are up to their "no score" ways again. Yeah, we had a bad game, but so did you. I have no clue why you'r gloating. Our records right now are exactly the same.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Obi1 said:
Yep.

If the Packers keep putting up scores like they did today, then I will only need Kindergarten math. 1...2...3! :p

Yep. I heard you COMPLETED the public school system... TWICE!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts