1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Walker Caves!

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by 3rdRoundPunter, Jul 27, 2005.

1. 3rdRoundPunter

3rdRoundPunter Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    WEDNESDAY, July 27, 2005, 5:20 p.m.
    Javon Walker decides to report to camp

Green Bay Packers wide receiver Javon Walker has decided to report to training camp.

"Tell everybody I'm coming in," Walker told a Journal Sentinel reporter as he arrived at the Green Bay airport shortly after 5 this evening.

Veterans are due to report to training camp by 7 tonight, with the first practice tomorrow.

Walker, represented by his agent Drew Rosenhaus, skipped all of the team's off-season functions, including a mandatory minicamp, in an attempt to force the Packers into renegotiating his contract.

Last week, Rosenhaus had said there was little hope Walker would report to training camp on time.

"We were very disappointed with the team's decision and when they memorialized that with a letter, it basically limited our options to this point to either being traded or deciding what our other options are," Rosenhaus said last Wednesday. "For right now we don't intend to report to training camp."

It was unclear tonight whether any progress had been made in renegotiating Walker's contract. Neither Rosenhaus nor Packers general manager Ted Thompson could be reached immediately for comment, and Walker would not elaborate on his contract status.

Walker, who has two years remaining on the five-year deal he signed as a rookie in 2001, is scheduled to make a base salary of $515,000 this season. Last year he made the Pro Bowl for the first time, leading the Packers with 89 receptions for 1,328 yards and 12 touchdowns.

He had received considerable pressure during the off-season from quarterback Brett Favre to give up his holdout and report to training camp.

-By Tom Silverstein; full story to come

2. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    Where can I find this source? I haven't seen anything saying that JWalk has said anything of the sort. I hope it's true though! :D

3. P@ck66

P@ck66 Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a feeling he was going to report...

Especially since TO said he was reporting to the Eagles to avoid losing any money..$$$

4. Favreforever721

Favreforever721 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  5. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    No offense 3rdRoundPunter but I haven't seen anywhere that says Walker is coming in to camp. Where's the source?

6. PackerTraxx

PackerTraxx Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hope that this is true. I also wish that he would fire Rottenlouse, but I will gladly settle for him reporting and playing up to his potential this year. Then let's get a long term contract hammered out.

7. Obi1

Obi1 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    YES!!!

Back to business. I may be jumping the gun but I am now convinced that Packers are going to the Superbowl...

Yeah I know, Green and Gold Glasses...

8. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!! Time to celebrate :cheerleader:

9. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Neuro-Linguistic Programing.... Please!

"Walker Caves?"

Can we change the Title of this post to "Walker Does The Right Thing."

I would give my left nut.... If he would call a press conference and anounce that he has fired his agent, and thank Brett for putting some reality in his soul as an honorable man.

This would have a three fold positive effect on The Packers, The NFL, and J.W.

#1- The Pack have him in camp and he is so very important to the Pack.

#2- This would seriously damage the Mission Statement of his agent, and heretofore, set an example for other NFL players to consider.

#3- This act of good faith should be rewarded and I hope the Pack reward with a new contract if he fires his agent and hires a new one.... becuase he is underpaid.

RP

10. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the good news, Punter, but I agree with RP that you should've chosen a different title for your post. Part of the reason these silly holdouts last so long is that the players think they will be perceived as pushovers if they give in. If you think Walker caved in, you're entitled to that opinion, but I prefer to think that he made a good decision. Now we can put this whole thing behind us.

11. 3rdRoundPunter

Ratings:
    +0
  12. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    IF this is true it is a big boost for the Pack! :mrgreen:

13. Favreforever721

Favreforever721 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Does this mean he will not holdout, or is he going to holdout still?

14. 3rdRoundPunter

Ratings:
    +0
    Favreforever - I would assume that this means he will not be holding out. If he was going to holdout he wouldn't bother going through the hassle of two a days. Maybe he came to his senses and realized that playing out his contract (and having two more productive years like the last) is his best way to get the pay he thinks he deserves.

15. PackerChick

PackerChick Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    who pinched me? is this a dream?

16. agopackgo4

agopackgo4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No my good friend, it is not a dream it is GREEN BAY PACKERS FOOTBALL AND IT IS STARTING SOON!!!!!!!! And Walker is back!!!

17. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't mean to be so pesimistic, but w/ DW being involved, this just sounds too good to be true. I wouldn't be surprised to have DW try to pull some stunts, or have JW fake some injuries..something odd like that.

Although I respect JW and his character MUCH MORE than MM, remember that we all let out a big sigh of relief and assumed all was normal when MM returned, only to be disappointed w/in about a week---and this is the same agent.

18. vixtalkn

vixtalkn Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I echo R-Pride on this one.

In those famous words, "You gotta know when to hold 'em; know when to fold 'em; when to JWalk away; when to run.

So I say now, let's geterdone!

Favre to Walker. Touchdown. Oh, ya!

[​IMG]

19. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

A dream? How so? I hate to be a sour puss on this, but cmon the man signed a contract, he is EXPECTED to be there.

20. musccy

musccy Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    from profootballtalk.com...

WALKER, PACK STILL AT ODDS?

Even though receiver Javon Walker abruptly has folded his holdout tent and reported to training camp on Wednesday night, we're hearing very different versions as to the impetus for the move.

Sources close to the Walker camp tell us that Javon opted to walk back into camp because the team has expressed a willingness to show some flexibility in connection with Walker's concerns regarding the salaries that he is due to earn under the two remaining years of his contract.

But if that's accurate, it's news to the Packers. We've been told by a league source with knowledge of the Packers' intentions that the team still has no plan to give Walker a new contract.

So who's right? Who knows. It's possible that the Pack don't want to send the wrong message to other players that a threatened holdout will yield a new contract. Then again, it's possible that Walker is trying to save a little face, justifying his decision to cry "uncle" by linking the move to a greater possibility of the new deal that he now covets.

The team wants folks to think that Walker merely caved. Walker wants folks to think that he didn't.

And since we've yet to develop the ability to read minds, our guess is that both sides will continue to put their best spin on this one for the foreseeable future.

21. ArizonaPackerFan

ArizonaPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The Jsonline article said he was wearing a throwback jersey that said "Marino" on the back of it when he arrived in Green Bay. Is he a Marino fan, or is that a jab at Favre for ripping Walker the last few months about not honoring his contract?

I hope Walker doesn't become a distraction like McKenzie did when he returned, but Walker isn't demanding a trade like McKenzie did so hopefully he can have a big year and get his money next year so both sides can be happy.

22. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to hear this. I look for an even better passing Attack this year, seeing as Ferggie is back and better then ever, and with JWalk and Driver, and not to mention the rookie Murphy (I think he will be a great WR and a great draft pick), we could have one of the better attacks in the NFL. MAN DO I WISH THE SEASON STARTED TOMMOROW! Oh well, at least training camp is finally here. :D

23. mkapp

mkapp Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that even better news would be that he fires DR. Glad he came to his senses. I figured he would pull a TO and be there so he doesnt lose more money. Hope all goes well.

24. ArizonaPackerFan

ArizonaPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds like Grady will be reporting too.

John Clayton said on ESPN today that Drew Rosenhaus is currently like a 3rd base coach waving everybody home :lol:

25. Bobby Roberts

Bobby Roberts Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Good point. It appears that most of Rossen's hold-outs are caving in when it comes to training camp.

The new concern now is if these players will become the same type of cancer that MM was last season upon returning. It would be easy to expect that from TO's big mouth, but it's not something I thought would come from Walker or Jackson.

Grady really impressed me last season when he was injured. I was at the Bears game in the beginning of the season and while Grady was on the sideline, he kept talking to Lee. Everytime Lee came off the field, Grady was there, like his own personal coach. We need a leader like this on defense with all of the young prospects, but first he needs to put aside all the selfish crap of threatening a hold-out.