Walker Caves!

3rdRoundPunter

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WEDNESDAY, July 27, 2005, 5:20 p.m.
Javon Walker decides to report to camp

Green Bay Packers wide receiver Javon Walker has decided to report to training camp.

"Tell everybody I'm coming in," Walker told a Journal Sentinel reporter as he arrived at the Green Bay airport shortly after 5 this evening.

Veterans are due to report to training camp by 7 tonight, with the first practice tomorrow.

Walker, represented by his agent Drew Rosenhaus, skipped all of the team's off-season functions, including a mandatory minicamp, in an attempt to force the Packers into renegotiating his contract.

Last week, Rosenhaus had said there was little hope Walker would report to training camp on time.

"We were very disappointed with the team's decision and when they memorialized that with a letter, it basically limited our options to this point to either being traded or deciding what our other options are," Rosenhaus said last Wednesday. "For right now we don't intend to report to training camp."

It was unclear tonight whether any progress had been made in renegotiating Walker's contract. Neither Rosenhaus nor Packers general manager Ted Thompson could be reached immediately for comment, and Walker would not elaborate on his contract status.

Walker, who has two years remaining on the five-year deal he signed as a rookie in 2001, is scheduled to make a base salary of $515,000 this season. Last year he made the Pro Bowl for the first time, leading the Packers with 89 receptions for 1,328 yards and 12 touchdowns.

He had received considerable pressure during the off-season from quarterback Brett Favre to give up his holdout and report to training camp.

-By Tom Silverstein; full story to come

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where can I find this source? I haven't seen anything saying that JWalk has said anything of the sort. I hope it's true though! :D

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had a feeling he was going to report...

Especially since TO said he was reporting to the Eagles to avoid losing any money..$$$

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope that this is true. I also wish that he would fire Rottenlouse, but I will gladly settle for him reporting and playing up to his potential this year. Then let's get a long term contract hammered out.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
YES!!!

Back to business. I may be jumping the gun but I am now convinced that Packers are going to the Superbowl...

Yeah I know, Green and Gold Glasses...

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neuro-Linguistic Programing.... Please!

"Walker Caves?"

Can we change the Title of this post to "Walker Does The Right Thing."

I would give my left nut.... If he would call a press conference and anounce that he has fired his agent, and thank Brett for putting some reality in his soul as an honorable man.

This would have a three fold positive effect on The Packers, The NFL, and J.W.

#1- The Pack have him in camp and he is so very important to the Pack.

#2- This would seriously damage the Mission Statement of his agent, and heretofore, set an example for other NFL players to consider.

#3- This act of good faith should be rewarded and I hope the Pack reward with a new contract if he fires his agent and hires a new one.... becuase he is underpaid.

RP

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the good news, Punter, but I agree with RP that you should've chosen a different title for your post. Part of the reason these silly holdouts last so long is that the players think they will be perceived as pushovers if they give in. If you think Walker caved in, you're entitled to that opinion, but I prefer to think that he made a good decision. Now we can put this whole thing behind us.

OP
OP

3rdRoundPunter

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favreforever - I would assume that this means he will not be holding out. If he was going to holdout he wouldn't bother going through the hassle of two a days. Maybe he came to his senses and realized that playing out his contract (and having two more productive years like the last) is his best way to get the pay he thinks he deserves.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No my good friend, it is not a dream it is GREEN BAY PACKERS FOOTBALL AND IT IS STARTING SOON!!!!!!!! And Walker is back!!!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mean to be so pesimistic, but w/ DW being involved, this just sounds too good to be true. I wouldn't be surprised to have DW try to pull some stunts, or have JW fake some injuries..something odd like that.

Although I respect JW and his character MUCH MORE than MM, remember that we all let out a big sigh of relief and assumed all was normal when MM returned, only to be disappointed w/in about a week---and this is the same agent.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I echo R-Pride on this one.

In those famous words, "You gotta know when to hold 'em; know when to fold 'em; when to JWalk away; when to run.

So I say now, let's geterdone!

Favre to Walker. Touchdown. Oh, ya!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from profootballtalk.com...

WALKER, PACK STILL AT ODDS?

Even though receiver Javon Walker abruptly has folded his holdout tent and reported to training camp on Wednesday night, we're hearing very different versions as to the impetus for the move.

Sources close to the Walker camp tell us that Javon opted to walk back into camp because the team has expressed a willingness to show some flexibility in connection with Walker's concerns regarding the salaries that he is due to earn under the two remaining years of his contract.

But if that's accurate, it's news to the Packers. We've been told by a league source with knowledge of the Packers' intentions that the team still has no plan to give Walker a new contract.

So who's right? Who knows. It's possible that the Pack don't want to send the wrong message to other players that a threatened holdout will yield a new contract. Then again, it's possible that Walker is trying to save a little face, justifying his decision to cry "uncle" by linking the move to a greater possibility of the new deal that he now covets.

The team wants folks to think that Walker merely caved. Walker wants folks to think that he didn't.

And since we've yet to develop the ability to read minds, our guess is that both sides will continue to put their best spin on this one for the foreseeable future.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Jsonline article said he was wearing a throwback jersey that said "Marino" on the back of it when he arrived in Green Bay. Is he a Marino fan, or is that a jab at Favre for ripping Walker the last few months about not honoring his contract?

I hope Walker doesn't become a distraction like McKenzie did when he returned, but Walker isn't demanding a trade like McKenzie did so hopefully he can have a big year and get his money next year so both sides can be happy.

Reaction score
Glad to hear this. I look for an even better passing Attack this year, seeing as Ferggie is back and better then ever, and with JWalk and Driver, and not to mention the rookie Murphy (I think he will be a great WR and a great draft pick), we could have one of the better attacks in the NFL. MAN DO I WISH THE SEASON STARTED TOMMOROW! Oh well, at least training camp is finally here. :D

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that even better news would be that he fires DR. Glad he came to his senses. I figured he would pull a TO and be there so he doesnt lose more money. Hope all goes well.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like Grady will be reporting too.

John Clayton said on ESPN today that Drew Rosenhaus is currently like a 3rd base coach waving everybody home :lol:

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ArizonaPackerFan said:
It sounds like Grady will be reporting too.

John Clayton said on ESPN today that Drew Rosenhaus is currently like a 3rd base coach waving everybody home :lol:

Good point. It appears that most of Rossen's hold-outs are caving in when it comes to training camp.

The new concern now is if these players will become the same type of cancer that MM was last season upon returning. It would be easy to expect that from TO's big mouth, but it's not something I thought would come from Walker or Jackson.

Grady really impressed me last season when he was injured. I was at the Bears game in the beginning of the season and while Grady was on the sideline, he kept talking to Lee. Everytime Lee came off the field, Grady was there, like his own personal coach. We need a leader like this on defense with all of the young prospects, but first he needs to put aside all the selfish crap of threatening a hold-out.

Members online

Latest posts