Vote: who do you blame most for last night?

Who's more to blame

• Total voters

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Buggybill, if you read the responses in most of these posts long enough you would think that this was a Raiders or Chiefs forum. Every sucks, everyone needs to be fired, and all of the posters know exactly how to run a franchise.

All that said, I blame the players mostly. Walden sucked for sure but everyone was massively out of position. Capers has to share blame for not shifting strategy and putting a spy on him, like we had Wood and Matthews doing against Vick (when Vick was a threat). That adjustment should have happened at halftime. We mostly got outplayed though, and just like 2011, I'm happy that I got to enjoy another winning season of Packer football.
Actually, MM said we DID have a spy on Kaep.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
No one (to my knowledge) has suggested replacing McCarthy. McCarthy is safe.

Nonetheless, there are some areas of being a head coach that he really excels (player development) and some areas that he really struggles in (in-game decision making, opponent preparation).

I would like to see McCarthy step back from essentially acting as the offensive coordinator, stop calling the offensive plays, and focus on the things he does well. I'd like to see him working more with TT, the scouts, and position coaches on specific player development.

I think he could be very excellent at delegating specific tasks, if he allowed himself to do so.
Once again, you do realize opponent preparation is already delegated to the OC right?

Reaction score
Health and Circumstance an option?
3 of our starting linebackers out on IR - a 2nd round Defensive tackle on IR - Two 1st Round Offensive Tackles on IR .... taking on a team that's loaded up front.

Get healthy and reloaded - I'm sure we'll make a better run in the playoffs.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Health and Circumstance an option?
3 of our starting linebackers out on IR - a 2nd round Defensive tackle on IR - Two 1st Round Offensive Tackles on IR .... taking on a team that's loaded up front.

Get healthy and reloaded - I'm sure we'll make a better run in the playoffs.
That's right.
We had a lot of good guys on IR.
San Fran? None except their 2nd string WR's and they don't even need WR's as their offense is different.
They don't need backup RBs either although LaMichael James is a potential stud, and he was the backup.

Also, people need to watch closely as plays were about to start.... before Kaepernick hiked the ball on passing downs, we almost always did have a clear spy there.... and maybe sometimes a spy in disguise.

It didn't matter because we have no DLinemen who know how to simply clog & contain the man. I feel this falls on coaching but maybe the players are just terrible.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
McCarthy: Needs to fired.
The other coaches: Need to fired.
Rodgers: Trade his sorry butt away. He can't get past the divisional round in the playoffs anymore.
WR's: Need to be revamped. To many dropped balls.
O-line: Gut it and start over.
D-line: Back to the 4-3. This 3-4 think can't stop the run worth a damn.
DB: Need some new guys. Woodson? gone, to old, to slow.
LB: Dump em all. They can't cover in the pass and can't stop the run.
PK: Keep him. He came out of his slump and did fine at the end of the season.

That about it? That should do it. Wait, I missed the RB. Draft another 5 round RB that can't break a tackle by your grandmother.

Finished. Do that and the Packers might make the playoffs next year. :)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Sorry, my comment was tongue in cheek and totally inapropriate at this time. We`ll get it right next year hopefully

Seriously though, Cobb fluffed one in the third quarter. Okay, it didn`t cost us negative yards, but he still dropped it. The fact was the whole game was a disaster, even though James Jones played like a pro-bowler for me with some amazing, (especially for Frank) catches

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Rodgers: Trade his sorry butt away. He can't get past the divisional round in the playoffs anymore.

That about it? That should do it. Wait, I missed the RB. Draft another 5 round RB that can't break a tackle by your grandmother.

:eek:

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Kevin Greene said that contrary to popular opinion, Erik Walden was not to blame for Kaepernick's 56-yard TD run.

D

Dan115

Hire Mike Sherman.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kevin Greene said that contrary to popular opinion, Erik Walden was not to blame for Kaepernick's 56-yard TD run.

And I will take that at face value. But rewatch that play once, it was the epitome of what happened to the Packers in that game, players losing 1v1.

Raji - got demolished in the middle and moved to the non-play side of the field. Allowing tons of space to the play side.

Walden Crashes - which if Kevin Greene is not trying to save his OLB @$$ was the correct move

Jones Collapses as well - One of these two could not possibly be correct, no defensive scheme ever has no one keeping contain.

Tramon Williams - Gives no effort what so ever to get off his block until CK was well past him.

Woodson - slips coming off his coverage of Vernon Davis, and is not able to recover in time.

Hawk - hit the line hard to fill his gap, without any awareness to play being on the otherside of the field.

That is 6 out of 11 players that were taken out of this play for one reason or another... Scheme is not the problem, Capers scheme will work if run correctly. Motivation, awareness, injury, and the will to beat the guy across from you may all be problems that the could fall on Capers, MM, and others. But stating that we need to switch to 4-3 to stop the run or Capers schemes are outdated is just not correct.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That is 6 out of 11 players that were taken out of this play for one reason or another... Scheme is not the problem, Capers scheme will work if run correctly. Motivation, awareness, injury, and the will to beat the guy across from you may all be problems that the could fall on Capers, MM, and others. But stating that we need to switch to 4-3 to stop the run or Capers schemes are outdated is just not correct.

Walden getting faked out his jock strap is scheme dontcha know

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far from what I've gathered from the comments from coaches and players in days after the game:

It isn't Walden's fault, Jones had a nice game, it isn't any of the player's fault, it isn't Capers' fault, it isn't any of the coaches fault, they tried to adjust, they couldn't put Matthews as spy since they needed him in pass rush, so it's nobody's fault. Colin Kaepernick is just this God-like figure who could not be stopped despite the fact that other teams have stopped him.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So far from what I've gathered from the comments from coaches and players in days after the game:

It isn't Walden's fault, Jones had a nice game, it isn't any of the player's fault, it isn't Capers' fault, it isn't any of the coaches fault, they tried to adjust, they couldn't put Matthews as spy since they needed him in pass rush, so it's nobody's fault. Colin Kaepernick is just this God-like figure who could not be stopped despite the fact that other teams have stopped him.

That is why he is at home watching the SB....

Forderick

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Maybe it isn't Capers scheme that is the problem, maybe.

But this is 2 years now that the defence has played uninspired football. Now it is likely that the players are at fault for this but after 2 embarassing defeats in the playoffs the past 2 years, maybe Capers just isn't the guy this team needs a DC. Maybe it is time to get someone who can light a fire under the D's butt. Maybe just maybe the players are sick of listening to him and they need a new voice, which could mean all the difference in the world.

Or heck, maybe Capers scheme is outdated because he hasn't updated it. And failed to make any adjustments to stop Kappernick. Woodson said it himself, that they didn't make any adjustments.