Vince Wilfork asks for his release

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he becomes available and we don't sign him to a bloated contract, I'm going to pout and ***** about this team going in the wrong direction using a Packer Forum account I created last week.

But seriously, if the price were right coming off his injury I would hope we give him a look. NT is a big need for us right now.

I think NE would be apprehensive about releasing him unless it looks like his wheel is shot.

Last edited:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be a huge upgrade and a fix to an issue we have to deal with in some way. I would be excited to add him to our team.

Jz3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would give him 2y 12m. Maybe even re sign picket for like 2y 7m and roll with these two big dogs for the next 2 seasons.

H

HardRightEdge

Wilfork will be 33 and is coming off an Achilles injury. That's so far outside the Ted Thompson profile as to be hardly worth commenting on.

Wilfork is in the last year of his contract which will pay him $7.5 million; NE would take $3.6 mil in dead cap hit if they released him. Belichick must have seriously low balled him for Wilfork to pass up $7.5 mil and roll the dice in free agency given his age and the injury.

If anybody is capable of making a lower offer than Belichick, it's Ted Thompson if he could somehow muster up the interest.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's an excellent nose tackle for a team that runs a defense that requires a nose tackle and doesn't have a nose tackle. He's at least worth a "visit".

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lets see...Raji/ Wilfork? Hands down Willfork. A true NT? Yep. but the price has to be under 6 mil a year.

H

HardRightEdge

He's an excellent nose tackle for a team that runs a defense that requires a nose tackle and doesn't have a nose tackle. He's at least worth a "visit".
Sure...visits are what we do best.

Thompson wants a guy who's 26ish and going into his second contract, a guy who's played mostly backup so he won't cost too much and, presumably, a guy who's tape he liked at one time or another.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Old, Coming off injury, costly ...... no thanks. TT needs more youth in that area, not some crusty vet looking for a bloated payday to end his career on. Hell, who knows, he might end up getting lazy or re-injured. Not a snow balls chance in hell I would want him.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon now. I understand and sympathize with the desire to bring in new talent, but at least have some standards. He's a broken, unproductive, fat old man. What would we possible do with him? Pay him 6 million dollars to play 4 snaps a game at nose?

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon now. I understand and sympathize with the desire to bring in new talent, but at least have some standards. He's a broken, unproductive, fat old man. What would we possible do with him? Pay him 6 million dollars to play 4 snaps a game at nose?

1st team all pro in '12. Tore his achilles last year.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Thoughts on him here?

You know with someone sporting a Teddy avi, I wouldn't expect you to make this thread.

Even though he'd be an upgrade probably over anyone currently on our roster, he's coming off an injury and he's over 30. Too many unknowns for ol' Ted.

I'd still sign him if he comes at a reasonable price. He's a game changer and that doesn't come around often at the nosetackle position. He can rush and run stuff. When he's in the middle compared to when he's not, New England's run defense is almost night and day.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At his best... He is no longer at his best...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's 2 years removed from 1st team all-pro and missed the 75% of the '13 season due to injury I mean who's to say he is "no longer at his best"? Did you break down every snap from the 4 games he played last year? What are you basing this on? I have no idea that he is no longer at his best and neither do you. What I do know is that the last full season he played he was 1st team all-pro, you on the other hand are assuming he is no longer at his best.

All this being said, this is more then likely a waste of time because I'd be willing to bet alot of money this never happens but I think he is better than anything we currently have at NT.

D

Deleted member 6794

He's 2 years removed from 1st team all-pro and missed the 75% of the '13 season due to injury I mean who's to say he is "no longer at his best"? Did you break down every snap from the 4 games he played last year? What are you basing this on? I have no idea that he is no longer at his best and neither do you. What I do know is that the last full season he played he was 1st team all-pro, you on the other hand are assuming he is no longer at his best.

A torn Achilles tendon is a pretty significant injury for a 33-year old guy weighing that much.

Maybe even re sign picket for like 2y 7m.

If the Packers bring back Pickett it´d better be closer to the veterans minimum than what you suggested.

OP
OP
Ace

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A torn Achilles tendon is a pretty significant injury for a 33-year old guy weighing that much.

This is a valid point but what I'm saying is if he's healthy who's to say he is no longer at his best? All I have to go on having not watched him play every week is he was an all-pro the last full season he played. Now, that doesn't necessarilly mean he is still that player but we don't know. If healthy, one could argue having the whole year off last year might have been helpful to someone who is his age. Again, the chances of this happening are slim to none but it's hard for me to imagine him being worse then anything we have is all.

Members online

Latest posts