Vince Videos

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couple of really good videos I found on YouTube about the greatest NFL coach ever.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how you can't just love this guy and what he did for the Packers and for NFL football.
Yeah. I now understand what made him so great.
He didn't go out and replace the players on a losing team. He turned it all around and made winners out of losers.
Amazing. Just amazing what he did.
I see his spirit being channeled and shining brightly on the 2011 team.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Yeah. I now understand what made him so great.
He didn't go out and replace the players on a losing team. He turned it all around and made winners out of losers.
Amazing. Just amazing what he did.
I see his spirit being channeled and shining brightly on the 2011 team.
Hate to burst your bubble, but out of the team he inherited in 1959, by the third year 1961, only 14 of those players were still on the team. Those 14 just happened to be the main core of Packers for the next 8 years. Which, is no less amazing by the way.

OP
OP
Forget Favre

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hate to burst your bubble, but out of the team he inherited in 1959, by the third year 1961, only 14 of those players were still on the team. Those 14 just happened to be the main core of Packers for the next 8 years. Which, is no less amazing by the way.
Vince somehow brought out the talent out of his players.
I like believe that he did that with those 14 you mention.
The Packers when he came along were close to being done. Over and out. 10/4 Good Buddy kind of done.

I also understand that the Packers were so bad that bad players on opposing teams would be threatened to be sent to Green Bay. LOL

I'll stand corrected on the point you make. A lil' educashion never hurt anybody.
14 stayed out of how many?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Raptorman, you are very knowledgable about the Packers. Are you as well informed about your Vikings? :unsure: (sarcasm NOT intended)
More or less. I grew up 29 miles from Lambeau so I grew up listening to everything Packers. There are some things I remember on the news and some not on the news about the Packers of the 60's and 70's. For example, a lot of the players used to come down to Appleton to party because it was far enough from Green Bay to be out of sight. One of my Aunts worked for a while at "The Left Guard", a restaurant owned by one of the Packers. Let's just say some of the stories she told would make today's players look like choir boys. Things have not changed all that much in 40 years when it comes to players and parties. Anyway, I take things from what I remember and use the Internet to make sure what I say is more or less correct. All though some of what I remember is not found on the Internet because the NFL keeps a tight hand on some things. I am wrong occasionally.

Most of my Vikings knowledge comes from reading newspapers over the years because we didn't have the advantage of ESPN, FOX or the Internet back then. So I would read as many papers as I could on what my team was doing. It's helped that the WI newspapers seem to be slightly infatuated with the Vikings - Packers rivalry.

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raptorman posted:"Hate to burst your bubble, but out of the team he inherited in 1959, by the third year 1961, only 14 of those players were still on the team. Those 14 just happened to be the main core of Packers for the next 8 years. Which, is no less amazing by the way."

28 Packers that were on the 1958 (1-10-1) Packer team, did make it onto the 1959 Packer roster coached by Head Coach and General Manger Vince Lombardi.

17 players from the 1958 Packer team were on the Packer team were on roster Packer won NF L Championship in 1961.

By 1967 only only 5 Packer Packer from that 1958 team were left on the Packer roster on that last team coached by Vince Lombardi in 1967 . The 1967 Packer team won Super BowL II.

At end of the 1967 season, Max Mc Gee retired.

In 1968, Vince was Packer GM only. A fter the 1968 season Vince Lombardi left for Washington Redskins to become their head coach.

At end of the 1968 season, Jerry Kramer retired.

At End of 1970 season Forrest Gregg left Green Bay ..

At the end of 1971 season Bart Starr retired.

At end of 1972 season Ray Nitschke retired.

All players from 1958 Packer roster were gone by 1973.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
More or less. I grew up 29 miles from Lambeau so I grew up listening to everything Packers. There are some things I remember on the news and some not on the news about the Packers of the 60's and 70's. For example, a lot of the players used to come down to Appleton to party because it was far enough from Green Bay to be out of sight. One of my Aunts worked for a while at "The Left Guard", a restaurant owned by one of the Packers. Let's just say some of the stories she told would make today's players look like choir boys. Things have not changed all that much in 40 years when it comes to players and parties. Anyway, I take things from what I remember and use the Internet to make sure what I say is more or less correct. All though some of what I remember is not found on the Internet because the NFL keeps a tight hand on some things. I am wrong occasionally.

Most of my Vikings knowledge comes from reading newspapers over the years because we didn't have the advantage of ESPN, FOX or the Internet back then. So I would read as many papers as I could on what my team was doing. It's helped that the WI newspapers seem to be slightly infatuated with the Vikings - Packers rivalry.
I grew up in Clintonville (sure you've heard of it). My dad often tells stories about the players visiting a local watering hole called Petka's. Sounds like similar behavior to what you infer.
As far as the media & the Vikings-Packers rivalry, it seems rightfully so that they glorify the match-up. Regardless of team records or status, the importance of the outcome never seems to be lessened.
You're an admirable fan, Raptorman.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

The bubble is intact. The man took a 1 ... count 'em 1 ... ONE...win team the year previous and finished with a 7-5 record.

:) Hi... how are ya... :)

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
The bubble is intact. The man took a 1 ... count 'em 1 ... ONE...win team the year previous and finished with a 7-5 record.

:) Hi... how are ya... :)
The point was that he replaced a lot of players on the 1 win team. He did not do it with all the same players. Still a very good turn around. Never said it wasn't.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
BTW, I am looking for the Vince video were he was talking about playing in the first AFL-NFL Championship game and he's saying "Don't know why we have to play another game we already won the Championship". (Paraphrased, but that's' the gist of it)

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
It's helped that the WI newspapers seem to be slightly infatuated with the Vikings - Packers rivalry.

Vikings-Packers RIVALRY?? Are you kidding me? Come on...the Vikings are a cute little expansion franchise ... sort of the red-headed neighborhood kid that keeps getting his pant-leg stuck in the sprocket of his bike ... I'll thank you to bow your head when speaking of THE only rivalry that predates even the birth of the Vikings... we're of course, referring to the Packers-Bears.

Why.... I'm sure you're aware that there are deflated footballs in the Packers Hall of Fame, on display, that are older than the Vikings. Come on already...the Vikings were SUPPOSED to be an AFL franchise no less.

Rivalry indeed. Hmpf... ;)

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raptorman posted:"Hate to burst your bubble, but out of the team he inherited in 1959, by the third year 1961, only 14 of those players were still on the team. Those 14 just happened to be the main core of Packers for the next 8 years. Which, is no less amazing by the way."

28 Packers that were on the 1958 (1-10-1) Packer team, did make it onto the 1959 Packer roster coached by Head Coach and General Manger Vince Lombardi.

17 players from the 1958 Packer team were on the Packer team were on roster Packer won NF L Championship in 1961.

By 1967 only only 5 Packer Packer from that 1958 team were left on the Packer roster on that last team coached by Vince Lombardi in 1967 . The 1967 Packer team won Super BowL II.

At end of the 1967 season, Max Mc Gee retired.

In 1968, Vince was Packer GM only. A fter the 1968 season Vince Lombardi left for Washington Redskins to become their head coach.

At end of the 1968 season, Jerry Kramer retired.

At End of 1970 season Forrest Gregg left Green Bay ..

At the end of 1971 season Bart Starr retired.

At end of 1972 season Ray Nitschke retired.

All players from 1958 Packer roster were gone by 1973.

Minor correction: Ray Nitschke retired after the fourth game of the 1973 preseason.

Members online

Latest posts