Vinateri

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
BACKIN-PACKIN said:
yooperfan said:
[quote="BACKIN-PACKIN":1i2ghlmh]Longwell is out of gas, out of money, and soon out of GB.

Here we go again.

I remember a couple of years ago alot of Packer fans were disenchanted with Bidwells punting. People were saying get rid of him , let him go, punters are a dime a dozen.

Look what we have had since he left.
Be careful what you wish for , it may come back to bite you.

I say keep Longwell but it seems that there would be someone on a 53 man roster that could kick off into the end zone.

Back in the good old days you had lineman that were place kickers and punters. Is that so farfetched in this day and age.

First, Longwell is not a punter, and second, yes, in the "good old days" others were able to kick, punt, etc. However, in today's specialized football everyone has a function and is supposed to be good at it. Longwell is a kicker, and a good one at that, but not a good distance kicker on kickoffs. We got Longwell out of San Francisco's junk pile, and finding another at the right price may not be that bad afterall. Anyway, everyone cannot be paid what each one wants, no matter how good they are, there just isn't enough money to go around. If Longwell was a deeper threat on kickoffs, maybe then, but his often "midget kicks" have put the Packers in the hole more than once with the opposing team starting on the 40 yard line.

I know Longwell is not a punter.
I was making a comparison to peoples feelings about Bidwell back a few years ago. We let him go and have had nothing since.
The same could happen if we let Longwell go! Good PLACE KICKERS are not a dime a dozen. Just ask the folks in Dallas.

You and I are in agreement regarding the "midget" kickoffs.[/quote:1i2ghlmh]

Actully Yoop, your points are well taken, and it's good to see a Packer fan with a little deeper insight than some of the superficial postings on other sites.

And you're right, "We let him go and have had nothing since." There is a story behind this, like there is usually behind most things people do. And the theme of the story is we haven't really been able to replace most anyone we have "let go." And yes, Sherman did try to replace a punter with B.J. the "Sandman" Sanders. But we won't go there---let's spare Sherman the continual agony.

Part of the problem is, at least before, and until now, there hasn't been enough cap room to look elsewhere. And the bringing in of talent is no easy task, just ask Sherman. But I feel that now the cap has eased up a little, TT will begin a serious search for plugs to stick in the many holes left in the barrel. Of course, you and I will have to wait and see what he actually does, but to be fair, we need to give him that chance before "pulling his ears off," like so many seem to enjoy doing.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gakk said...But Vinatieri is too old

what is he like 35 kickers stay forever they can kick good until they are 41 or 42

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
BACKIN-PACKIN said:
Longwell is out of gas, out of money, and soon out of GB.

Here we go again.

I remember a couple of years ago alot of Packer fans were disenchanted with Bidwells punting. People were saying get rid of him , let him go, punters are a dime a dozen.

Look what we have had since he left.
Be careful what you wish for , it may come back to bite you.

I say keep Longwell but it seems that there would be someone on a 53 man roster that could kick off into the end zone.

Back in the good old days you had lineman that were place kickers and punters. Is that so farfetched in this day and age.

How TRUE Yooper!!! I remember when Jerry Kramer kicked field goals!!! That was when kickers kicked straight away, not soccer style! Now i don't remember the last time i saw someone kick straigh away!

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only is he too old -- VanderJagt can't kick off ... and he's been kicking inside. Ryan Longwell, has been one of the better kickers in the league, despite kicking in some of the worst conditons. As critical as I was of him for whining so much about it -- He lost his holder, and that's what happened to him last season.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kickers are the unsung heros. Even 2004 when Longwell had one of his best years people forgot about him. Seems that people only remember the bad when it comes to kickers. Vinateri would be a viable option if Longwell rolls. Considering what Longwell will be offered in FA they may only be a 1/2 million off from one another, chump change in this league. However, keep in miund that if Longwell does roll and we do get AV, Vinateri will be using a new holder this year as well. We all know how that works.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Longwell is past his prime, and he always has these lame excuses. Let him go to sunny Tampa and kick crap, let's get in someone new.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
(Aug. 30, 2006) -- Adam Vinatieri picked his side during the offseason, and now it's time for everyone else to pick theirs.

The Colts insist Vinatieri has a sprained ligament in his ankle, no fracture, and he is on pace to return for Indianapolis' Sunday night Sept. 10 regular-season opener at the New York Giants. One player who knows Vinatieri says the kicker has a broken bone in his ankle that could sideline him during the early part of the season.

Adam Vinatieri's only action in the preseason came in the opener on Aug. 10.

Still others that have tracked the situation say that Vinatieri is nursing a severely sprained ankle, that the Colts are going to be extremely cautious with their kicker, not rush him back knowing that his biggest kicks will come at the end of the season, and Vinatieri could miss the first game or two.

Pick which one to believe. It could be any one of them. The point is, speculation is now swirling around Vinatieri the way wind used to swirl around Gillette Stadium during some of the kicker's most clutch field goals.

Should the Colts work out or sign any kickers in the days leading up to the Giants game, their version of Vinatieri's injury will be negated. But if they don't do anything at the kicking position, then there's every reason to believe that Colts president Bill Polian and his organization are being completely forthright about Vinatieri's injury.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
We lost five games last year by 3 points or less and in more than one of those Longwell missed multiple attempts.
In other games some early misses created situations that required TD's to tie or win vs. FG's.
Finally, in some games the "0' made long drives down the field, ate up the clock, and, Longwell would miss. Tear their heart right out.
So who says a kicker isn't important? Who were you watching last year?

if we lost 5 games last year by 3 points then i think we should try to get Vinateri.

it is very important to have a good kicker on your team. the packers where not the only teams that lost because of a bad field goal.

its not like we have a great kicker on our team, so why not get him??

Kyle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
umair said:
if we lost 5 games last year by 3 points then i think we should try to get Vinateri.

it is very important to have a good kicker on your team. the packers where not the only teams that lost because of a bad field goal.

its not like we have a great kicker on our team, so why not get him??

WTF?? Uh, last time I checked, he was property of the Indianapolis Colts. Why would they trade a player of that calibre simply because he might miss 1-2 games?

Members online

Latest posts