Vinateri

stump5454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | Going after Vinatieri?
Mon, 27 Feb 2006 13:17:17 -0800

John Tomase, of the Boston Herald, reports the Green Bay Packers are currently in negotiations with PK Ryan Longwell, but are rumored to be considering letting Longwell go and make an attempt to sign New England Patriots PK Adam Vinatieri. The Patriots have until Friday, March 3, to strike a deal with Vinatieri or he will become a free agent.

Talk about a clutch cold weather kicker. I would let longwell go golfing for Adam. This was posted on KFFL.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i wouldnt mind that. only thing is how many years does adam have left in him. he certainly plays like he can play for a while longer but his age is 36 i believe. me personally dont really care i say sign him if not longwell

OP
OP
S

stump5454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At least it shows TT is thinking and has a plan B. Hopefully we dont need a plan c. You could get 4 to 6 years out of him probably.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
I've got nothing against Vinitieri, but I'm guessing he'll command $2.5-3 million a year. I don't see the need to spend that kind of money on a kicker, "clutch" or not.

"clutch" denotes big games

i dont see this team reaching big games this season

cap money can be spent elsewhere

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
mattresell said:
I've got nothing against Vinitieri, but I'm guessing he'll command $2.5-3 million a year. I don't see the need to spend that kind of money on a kicker, "clutch" or not.

"clutch" denotes big games

i dont see this team reaching big games this season

cap money can be spent elsewhere

how many games last season did we lose by .5 points or less (it seemed)? a clutch kicker coulda helped us get maybe 4 more wins. how could you dismiss the 2006-07 team when its not even built yet? thats ridiculous.

Schmitty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with mattresell. Vinny is already the highest paid kicker in the league, but Longwell is like 3rd I think. I would much rather see Vinny in GB then resign Longwell. At least Adam can get it in the end zone on a kickoff once in awhile. :x

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Keep the faith but i dont know if we want to spend that kind of money on vinateri then again if longwell plays like he did this year get him

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
how many games last season did we lose by .5 points or less (it seemed)? a clutch kicker coulda helped us get maybe 4 more wins. how could you dismiss the 2006-07 team when its not even built yet? thats ridiculous.

I looked it up, Longwell was 6/10 from 30-39, pretty bad, 20/27 overall, not the best. What I was getting at was there are areas on both sides of the ball that we need to dedicate cap dollars to. We lost some close games, but I remember our team not being able to convert on some crucial 3rd downs--maybe because someone missed a block, or because we were on our 10th string running back. We also let some teams prolong their drives by converting big third downs with the game on the line. If we go out and get some defensive players that can help us get some turnovers, some of our close games go the other way. Topping my FA wishlist is Carolina CB Ricky Manning, not to mention Mario Williams in the draft--

I'm not dismissing the '06 season, but i think our money is best spent elsewhere. I forgot on this board you get yelled at if you don't believe this team goes 16-0, my bad

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
tromadz said:

I looked it up, Longwell was 6/10 from 30-39, pretty bad, 20/27 overall, not the best. What I was getting at was there are areas on both sides of the ball that we need to dedicate cap dollars to. We lost some close games, but I remember our team not being able to convert on some crucial 3rd downs--maybe because someone missed a block, or because we were on our 10th string running back. We also let some teams prolong their drives by converting big third downs with the game on the line. If we go out and get some defensive players that can help us get some turnovers, some of our close games go the other way. Topping my FA wishlist is Carolina CB Ricky Manning, not to mention Mario Williams in the draft--

I'm not dismissing the '06 season, but i think our money is best spent elsewhere. I forgot on this board you get yelled at if you don't believe this team goes 16-0, my bad

I didnt say that and you know it. dont be ignorant.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We lost five games last year by 3 points or less and in more than one of those Longwell missed multiple attempts.
In other games some early misses created situations that required TD's to tie or win vs. FG's.
Finally, in some games the "0' made long drives down the field, ate up the clock, and, Longwell would miss. Tear their heart right out.
So who says a kicker isn't important? Who were you watching last year?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk.....kicker is important. It's just that the best kicker in the league stats are not that much different than the 10th best kicker in the league. I agree...it's what you do in the clutch situations.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like him on our team kickers are alot more important than some people think they determine field postion and close games and we had alot of those last year

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Longwell is a very good kicker who has been taken for granted by many Packer fans in recent years. Too many fans have forgotten what it's like to have a really bad kicker. We may find out soon, and yes, it will be worse than what we got from Longwell last year, in what was a rare off year for him.

Vinatieri is one of the few kickers who would be an upgrade over Longwell, and I would love to see him in a Packer uniform. Sign him for 4-5 years, and even if the team is not very good next year he will still be around when, hopefully, the team matures and becomes a contender.

A good placekicker puts points on the board, and a guy like Vinatieri, who combines long distance, clutch performance, and familiarity with cold weather, may be worth signing for a high price. Remember, kickers seldom get injured and they can often be effective up to and beyond the age of 40.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BACKIN-PACKIN said:
Longwell is out of gas, out of money, and soon out of GB.

Here we go again.

I remember a couple of years ago alot of Packer fans were disenchanted with Bidwells punting. People were saying get rid of him , let him go, punters are a dime a dozen.

Look what we have had since he left.
Be careful what you wish for , it may come back to bite you.

I say keep Longwell but it seems that there would be someone on a 53 man roster that could kick off into the end zone.

Back in the good old days you had lineman that were place kickers and punters. Is that so farfetched in this day and age.

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
BACKIN-PACKIN said:
Longwell is out of gas, out of money, and soon out of GB.

Here we go again.

I remember a couple of years ago alot of Packer fans were disenchanted with Bidwells punting. People were saying get rid of him , let him go, punters are a dime a dozen.

I say keep Longwell but it seems that there would be someone on a 53 man roster that could kick off into the end zone.

Back in the good old days you had lineman that were place kickers and punters. Is that so farfetched in this day and age.

First, Longwell is not a punter, and second, yes, in the "good old days" others were able to kick, punt, etc. However, in today's specialized football everyone has a function and is supposed to be good at it. Longwell is a kicker, and a good one at that, but not a good distance kicker on kickoffs. We got Longwell out of San Francisco's junk pile, and finding another at the right price may not be that bad afterall. Anyway, everyone cannot be paid what each one wants, no matter how good they are, there just isn't enough money to go around. If Longwell was a deeper threat on kickoffs, maybe then, but his often "midget kicks" have put the Packers in the hole more than once with the opposing team starting on the 40 yard line.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BACKIN-PACKIN said:
yooperfan said:
[quote="BACKIN-PACKIN":29fnqgkg]Longwell is out of gas, out of money, and soon out of GB.

Here we go again.

First, Longwell is not a punter, and second, yes, in the "good old days" others were able to kick, punt, etc. However, in today's specialized football everyone has a function and is supposed to be good at it. Longwell is a kicker, and a good one at that, but not a good distance kicker on kickoffs. We got Longwell out of San Francisco's junk pile, and finding another at the right price may not be that bad afterall. Anyway, everyone cannot be paid what each one wants, no matter how good they are, there just isn't enough money to go around. If Longwell was a deeper threat on kickoffs, maybe then, but his often "midget kicks" have put the Packers in the hole more than once with the opposing team starting on the 40 yard line.[/quote:29fnqgkg]

I know Longwell is not a punter.
I was making a comparison to peoples feelings about Bidwell back a few years ago. We let him go and have had nothing since.
The same could happen if we let Longwell go! Good PLACE KICKERS are not a dime a dozen. Just ask the folks in Dallas.

You and I are in agreement regarding the "midget" kickoffs.

Members online

Latest posts