VERY Early Stab At Predicting the 2021 53 Man Roster

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
1.) WR: a.) I hope the depth chart does not shake out exactly that way, as I don't think Cobb is or ever has been a #2. b.) I think EQSTB makes it possibly over Funchess

2.) CB: Said it before gonna say it again, I can't keep King if I'm the GM or coaching staff don't care what the contract says. Big games he ain't makin' plays and he's injury prone.

3.) LB: a.) The rookie makes the team, not practice squad b.) I think one of either Campbell or Barnes doesn't make the team, I'm thinking Campbell. If both make the team then we keep 5 ILB.
For WR, I wasn't thinking depth chart. If that were the case I would go 1. Adams 2. MVS 3. Cobb (slot). They didn't trade for Cobb to ride the pine. Rodgers will insist he plays.

King will be the #2 CB. Stokes will be the slot guy. Sullivan, Jean-Charles, Ento and Samuels are not beating him out. Too inexperienced and he is just better than them. Say what you want, but I'd prefer him lining up before them. To your point though, he is injury prone. We will most certainly be relying on the reserves at some point.

Campbell is not getting cut. I've been wrong before, but they signed him to play. "Campbell’s contract is a one-year deal worth $2 million, including a $1 million signing bonus. He is also eligible for up $500,000 in playing-time incentives. Given the details of Campbell’s contract, it’s a safe assumption that he will make the final 53-man roster."

Again, this is the "very early stab" at predicting the roster. There's always surprises and I'm sure I didn't hit a homerun with my predictions.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For WR, I wasn't thinking depth chart. If that were the case I would go 1. Adams 2. MVS 3. Cobb (slot). They didn't trade for Cobb to ride the pine. Rodgers will insist he plays.
I think, though, that Cobb has to be productive or at least be getting open. And everybody is going to know. I agree that he will start out starting. For what...5 or 6 games if he does not do well and Amari looks good.

Krabs

Reaction score
I think, though, that Cobb has to be productive or at least be getting open. And everybody is going to know. I agree that he will start out starting. For what...5 or 6 games if he does not do well and Amari looks good.
Not that I'm wishing that at all, but I'd wager an injury comes to Cobb and Amari goes in then. Cobb is undersized and has been a bit injury prone in the past. 5-6 games sounds like a good timeline to me. I'm sure they will rotate too. At the very least, Rodgers trusts Cobb and won't force it to Adams all the time.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To the King supporters let me remind you. He got torched in the NFC Championship, and now with the Cobb contract we're less than a quarter mil from the cap. I can see him being an ability casualty and a cap casualty.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
To the King supporters let me remind you. He got torched in the NFC Championship, and now with the Cobb contract we're less than a quarter mil from the cap. I can see him being an ability casualty and a cap casualty.
Was he hurt?? Did he say dont let me on an island

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think you have had an inability to discern folks discussing King objectively with being supporters. I don't believe you even pay attention to signings, contracts or roster moves. King signed a $5,000,000 - 1 year contract. It has $3,750,000 of that guaranteed and a bunch of voided year hits out clear till 2025. King may end the season being overtaken by Stokes, or he may not - but there is absolutely ZERO chance outside of injury or absolutely abysmal play will King not be a very active and most likely starter this entire season.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Krabs

Reaction score
I think you have had an inability to discern folks discussing King objectively with being supporters.
This is exactly right. I'm not saying that I love the idea of King being out there and our best option. However, that is the case. As I discussed in the early roster predictions, we do not have a plethora of talent at CB. Alexander is one of the best in the league. We know that. Stokes may very well be the 2nd best, but he is a rookie. King is better than Sullivan, SJC, Hollman, or Samuels. One can hope that they beat King out and that would be fine. As stated above, he's on a one year prove it deal.

I've said this numerous times and so have others. That play before the half was not King's fault. Petine called man coverage and left King 1v1 right before the half. That was on the play call. Absolutely atrocious and that is why Petine is gone.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you have had an inability to discern folks discussing King objectively with being supporters. I don't believe you even pay attention to signings, contracts or roster moves. King signed a $5,000,000 - 1 year contract. It has $3,750,000 of that guaranteed and a bunch of voided year hits out clear till 2025. King may end the season being overtaken by Stokes, or he may not - but there is absolutely ZERO chance outside of injury or absolutely abysmal play will King not be a very active and most likely starter this entire season.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
So all he would need is a repeat of his performance in the NFC Championship...that's abysmal play? Do I have that right since I understand nothing at all about anything?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So all he would need is a repeat of his performance in the NFC Championship...that's abysmal play? Do I have that right since I understand nothing at all about anything?

ONE play, even a handful of plays does nothing to grade a player entirely - but the concept that he will be cut, not knowing he was literally just signed this off season and we would save literally nearly nothing in cutting - I'm sorry just illustrates in this one specific issue you have my concern over any understanding. Which is fine, I thought I knew more about the CBA than I did once and argued with @captainWIMM about it, he however did an excellent job eventually of illustrating where I was massively wrong and did not know.

Krabs

Reaction score
ONE play, even a handful of plays does nothing to grade a player entirely - but the concept that he will be cut, not knowing he was literally just signed this off season and we would save literally nearly nothing in cutting - I'm sorry just illustrates in this one specific issue you have my concern over any understanding. Which is fine, I thought I knew more about the CBA than I did once and argued with @captainWIMM about it, he however did an excellent job eventually of illustrating where I was massively wrong and did not know.
I think the @captainWIMM just duped you is all! :laugh:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Two plays in the most important game of your season. Plus injury issues. You guys have no faith in this guy. I KNOW he'll play his way off the team!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may be wrong but I think we already paid him. He isn't as bad as you think imo. But somehow they can't let him get one on one with the fast, little, shifty guy. Someone designated needs to make an on field play call change in that situation. It wasn't like all of a sudden ... Oh my god! I've got the quick little guy. He had him all the way. One on one. The hold at the end was a bad mental error because even though it is very doubtful Brady would have missed the receiver; you still can't hold his jersey so obviously and give them the first down that ends the game. We really cannot do better than King right now. I hope he has a really good year. But I don't know how much he will actually play.

Krabs

Reaction score
Two plays in the most important game of your season. Plus injury issues. You guys have no faith in this guy. I KNOW he'll play his way off the team!
I don't think he will play his way off. Listening to the local beat writers this morning, they reported that Kevin King was injured and that Stokes was running with the one's. Apparently, he looks and fits the role. There was a play where Rodgers broke contain and flung one to Adams. I didn't see it, but they reported that Stokes broke on the ball and knocked it away at the last second. His closing speed was amazing. "Okay rookie, nice play". - Beat Writer

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
What should have happened is you have your long rangy DB play up tighter so they have to work for the shorter pass and put someone over the top to cover the TD play. you don't put your slowest DB 1 on 1 with an entire side of the field to play with their fastest guy. You're not going to win.
It makes me crazy thinking about how differently that game could've been if it wasn't for that play. It was just an absolute killer.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm curious about this stat. I can't seem to find anything. Is there a site that tracks how many times a corner was targeted on the year?

Pro Football Reference has tracked targets for cornerbacks since 2018. Here's the link to Alexander's and King's pages, you need to look at Advanced Defense & Fumbles.

The Packers releasing King would result in additional $1.8 million counting against their cap in 2021. Not gonna happen.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he will play his way off. Listening to the local beat writers this morning, they reported that Kevin King was injured and that Stokes was running with the one's. Apparently, he looks and fits the role. There was a play where Rodgers broke contain and flung one to Adams. I didn't see it, but they reported that Stokes broke on the ball and knocked it away at the last second. His closing speed was amazing. "Okay rookie, nice play". - Beat Writer

Getting turned into toast in the most important game of the team's year and now in 2021 after signing a huge contract hasn't even practiced yet. So inability and unavailability mean he makes the team? God I hope not!

D

Deleted member 6794

Getting turned into toast in the most important game of the team's year and now in 2021 after signing a huge contract hasn't even practiced yet. So inability and unavailability mean he makes the team? God I hope not!

The way King's contract is structured guarantees he makes the team.

Krabs

Reaction score
Again, it was not King's fault that he got beat before half in the NFC Championship game. That was all Petine for calling man coverage on fourth and long. Dumbest call I've seen a D-coordinator make. That got him fired. King has always been injury prone, so this is not a surprise.
The way King's contract is structured guarantees he makes the team.
This is also a big factor and probably why King signed the deal. How are people not seeing this?

Alexander, King, Sullivan, Stokes, and Jean-Charles all seem to be locks at this point. A lot of positive news coming in for Stokes and Jean-Charles. If he is healthy King will be the day one starter.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I've seen enough, barring injuries.
Final Roster Prediciton

Offense(25)
QBs
(2) - Rodgers, Love

RBs (3) - Jones, Dillon, Hill

WRs (7) - Adams, Lazard, MVS, Cobb, Funchess, Am. Rodgers, Taylor
*I think Taylor played himself into a slot. Taylor provides special teams experience and shows he's a reliable catcher.

TEs (4) - Lewis, Tonyan, Deguara, Dafney

OLs (9) - Bahk, Jenkins, Meyers, Patrick, Turner, Newman, Runyan, Braden, Kelly

Defense (25)
DLs
(5) - Clark, Lowry, Keke, Slaton, Lancaster
*Really liked Heflin/Previlon in the run game. Too similar to Lancaster.

ILBs (5) - Campbell, Burks, Barnes, Martin, Summers,

OLBs (4) - Z Smith, P Smith, Gary, Rivers
*Rivers beats out Garvin due to special teams. I don't think Garvin provides any special teams. Coach Smith said the 4th EDGE has to provide sp. teams skills (which Ramsey provided). + Martin has been getting some snaps at EDGE too.

CBs (6) - Jaire, Stokes, King, Sullivan, SJC, Yiadom
*Its either Ento or Yiadom.

Ss (5) - Amos, Savage, Scott, Gaines, Black

Special Teams (3)
Special
(3) - Crosby, Scott, Hunter
*Anyone else tired of JK Scott..? I really feel like our Punter is currently on another team.

Members online

Latest posts