Vernon Davis in Green and Gold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
http://www.forbes.com/sites/evanmas...-should-try-to-acquire-49ers-te-vernon-davis/

Sounds like the 49'ers are shopping Vernon Davis. Any thoughts? Personally, I don't think this is a TT type of move. But if Richard Rodgers isn't enough and really nothing behind him (Backman/Perillo) until Quarles is back, I can see the upside of a 2/3's of a season rental of Davis.

TT may have already tipped his hand yesterday by signing Perillo to the 53 man.

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When is the last time that TT made a mid season trade? I cannot remember a time when he even did. He values draft picks too much. I mean, if the 49ers would accept a 6th or a 7th, then sure. But I doubt TT would send them a mid rounder.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

When is the last time that TT made a mid season trade? I cannot remember a time when he even did. He values draft picks too much. I mean, if the 49ers would accept a 6th or a 7th, then sure. But I doubt TT would send them a mid rounder.

Who was the 49er who insulted Appleton ???

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Richard Rodgers a lot.

Him and Aaron seem to have a lot of chemistry, I say we build and grow with him.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I see both sides of the coin as it pertains to Richard Rodgers. Bringing someone like Davis in may temporarily slow RR's growth from a game time rep. standpoint, but it may also be beneficial from a "learning by watching a vet" situation too. I don't know much about Davis's locker room personality and if he is a good mentor, so that would definitely weigh on any decision.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

.Ryan grant

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
was he in season or just before the start of the regular season? I forget

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would be unusual to see us do this. Not sure how I'd feel about it, tbh.

I'm holding out hope for Richard, but so far, I'm really not impressed by what I've seen. He's got good hands (last derp drop aside), but the dude creates like zero separation and always seems to drop instantaneously when he's contacted. I feel like even a 180# DB can knock him over just by bumping him.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davis at one time was one of the best seam busters in the league. Not sure if he is anymore. Hes 31 too.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Trading for Davis would be un-Thompson-like. Rotoworld has his 2015 compensation at $4.35M - it would be a one season rental but the Packers would have to pay a pro-rated part of that so it would lessen the amount of cap they could roll into next season. This was included in the jsonline story about Perillo being promoted to the active roster:
The Packers promoted Perillo shortly after the Denver Broncos announced they had released tight end Mitchell Henry, who was in training camp with the Packers and claimed on waivers after being released on the final cutdown. The Packers seemed higher on Henry than they did Perillo, but may have made the move before knowing Henry was going to be released.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/332780171.html
If they really liked Henry better...

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see TT doing it, period.

From an if-it-ever-happened perspective, I would only be in favor if the offense was planning to run more double tight end sets. You wouldn't bring in a veteran to take a 2nd year up-and-comer's spot unless you were throwing in the towel on the young guy. You would only bring him in to augment or create a dual threat - ala Chmura and Keith Jackson.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind it for a 6th or 7th pick. Rich can still develop this season, it's not like acquiring Davis would just literally completely halt any progress rich could make this season, not like rich is an Ebron-like talent anyways. I bet a lot of people also didn't want to bring James jones in because it would "stunt our younger guys". We're competing for a Super Bowl this season as our primary goal. If Davis can help us reach that goal, so be it and Richard Rodgers be damned. I'm not one to value the progression of an okay 2nd year tight end over the opportunity for improvement if Ted sees fit. Very Highly doubt anything comes of this anyways.

H

HardRightEdge

Is he still the fat and slow Vernon Davis of the last couple of seasons?

DavidRusso

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.forbes.com/sites/evanmas...-should-try-to-acquire-49ers-te-vernon-davis/

Sounds like the 49'ers are shopping Vernon Davis. Any thoughts? Personally, I don't think this is a TT type of move. But if Richard Rodgers isn't enough and really nothing behind him (Backman/Perillo) until Quarles is back, I can see the upside of a 2/3's of a season rental of Davis.

TT may have already tipped his hand yesterday by signing Perillo to the 53 man.
Doubt this would happen, but if it did? Watch out.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who was the 49er who insulted Appleton ???

Davis was drafted by the 49ers one selection after we picked Hawk in the 2006 draft. If I remember correctly, a reporter asked him about the possibility of being drafted by Green Bay and he responded that he "was glad they (Packers) didn't pick him."

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're competing for a Super Bowl this season as our primary goal.
That may be your primary goal as a spectator, but I guarantee that TT's goal is to ensure the long term success of the team, even if it means not making moves that have the potential to help win a SB this year.

D

Deleted member 6794

That may be your primary goal as a spectator, but I guarantee that TT's goal is to ensure the long term success of the team, even if it means not making moves that have the potential to help win a SB this year.

I think Thompson's ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl as well. He won't risk future success with precarious cap moves to increase the chances for a single season and having to rebuild afterwards though.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As with everything, it's all a matter of degree. TT had better have the Super Bowl as a goal this year, but since there's no certainty of that, regardless of any personnel moves, he also isn't going to do anything stupid.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
looking at his contract I believe the team that acquires him is on the hook for only the base salary of this year and that is going to be prorated too and probably around 2.75 mil. This is the last year of his deal and all of his bonuses have been paid out already. Think the Jared Allen trade where he had on paper a huge 12 mil deal but the bears already paid him 11 of that with bonuses. It won't hurt the cap at all going forward and he may net you a comp pick if he leaves (idk if this is like baseball where you must play a full season with a team to get the comp pick).

With all of that in mind and the virtual lock of comp picks coming from Tramon and House I think you can trade a 5th or 6th for him and that would be replenished with the comp picks.

Idk if he will be a good fit and how long it would take him to get acclimated the the offense but financially speaking and regarding the future I think its insignificant.

D

Deleted member 6794

looking at his contract I believe the team that acquires him is on the hook for only the base salary of this year and that is going to be prorated too and probably around 2.75 mil. This is the last year of his deal and all of his bonuses have been paid out already. Think the Jared Allen trade where he had on paper a huge 12 mil deal but the bears already paid him 11 of that with bonuses. It won't hurt the cap at all going forward and he may net you a comp pick if he leaves (idk if this is like baseball where you must play a full season with a team to get the comp pick).

Trading for Davis after the Packers bye week would result in a cap hit of $2.8 million for Davis. While the move wouldn't result in any additional cap hit after this year the team would have approximately $2.5 million less to roll over into the 2016 season. With a lot of core players hitting free agency over the next two years I don't think that would be a smart move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.