1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Vernon Davis in Green and Gold?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Pokerbrat2000, Oct 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,890
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/evanmas...-should-try-to-acquire-49ers-te-vernon-davis/

Sounds like the 49'ers are shopping Vernon Davis. Any thoughts? Personally, I don't think this is a TT type of move. But if Richard Rodgers isn't enough and really nothing behind him (Backman/Perillo) until Quarles is back, I can see the upside of a 2/3's of a season rental of Davis.

TT may have already tipped his hand yesterday by signing Perillo to the 53 man.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  2. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    When is the last time that TT made a mid season trade? I cannot remember a time when he even did. He values draft picks too much. I mean, if the 49ers would accept a 6th or a 7th, then sure. But I doubt TT would send them a mid rounder.

3. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,010
    Who was the 49er who insulted Appleton ???

4. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,890
  5. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,010
    Thank you ;). I thought it was Davis for some reason.

6. C-Lee

C-Lee Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +350
    I like Richard Rodgers a lot.

Him and Aaron seem to have a lot of chemistry, I say we build and grow with him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,890
    I see both sides of the coin as it pertains to Richard Rodgers. Bringing someone like Davis in may temporarily slow RR's growth from a game time rep. standpoint, but it may also be beneficial from a "learning by watching a vet" situation too. I don't know much about Davis's locker room personality and if he is a good mentor, so that would definitely weigh on any decision.

8. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    .Ryan grant

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,771
    was he in season or just before the start of the regular season? I forget

10. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +504
    Would be unusual to see us do this. Not sure how I'd feel about it, tbh.

I'm holding out hope for Richard, but so far, I'm really not impressed by what I've seen. He's got good hands (last derp drop aside), but the dude creates like zero separation and always seems to drop instantaneously when he's contacted. I feel like even a 180# DB can knock him over just by bumping him.

11. red4tribe

red4tribe Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +435
    The trade was on September 1, so just before the start of the season.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Pkrjones

Pkrjones Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +324
  13. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    Davis at one time was one of the best seam busters in the league. Not sure if he is anymore. Hes 31 too.

14. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Trading for Davis would be un-Thompson-like. Rotoworld has his 2015 compensation at $4.35M - it would be a one season rental but the Packers would have to pay a pro-rated part of that so it would lessen the amount of cap they could roll into next season. This was included in the jsonline story about Perillo being promoted to the active roster:
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/332780171.html
    If they really liked Henry better...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  15. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    I don't see TT doing it, period.

From an if-it-ever-happened perspective, I would only be in favor if the offense was planning to run more double tight end sets. You wouldn't bring in a veteran to take a 2nd year up-and-comer's spot unless you were throwing in the towel on the young guy. You would only bring him in to augment or create a dual threat - ala Chmura and Keith Jackson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jerellh528

Jerellh528 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +78
    I wouldn't mind it for a 6th or 7th pick. Rich can still develop this season, it's not like acquiring Davis would just literally completely halt any progress rich could make this season, not like rich is an Ebron-like talent anyways. I bet a lot of people also didn't want to bring James jones in because it would "stunt our younger guys". We're competing for a Super Bowl this season as our primary goal. If Davis can help us reach that goal, so be it and Richard Rodgers be damned. I'm not one to value the progression of an okay 2nd year tight end over the opportunity for improvement if Ted sees fit. Very Highly doubt anything comes of this anyways.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,693
    Is he still the fat and slow Vernon Davis of the last couple of seasons?

18. Jerellh528

Jerellh528 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +78
    Not as fat or slow as rich rod lol

19. DavidRusso

DavidRusso Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Doubt this would happen, but if it did? Watch out.

20. Royal Pain

Royal Pain Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +156
    Davis was drafted by the 49ers one selection after we picked Hawk in the 2006 draft. If I remember correctly, a reporter asked him about the possibility of being drafted by Green Bay and he responded that he "was glad they (Packers) didn't pick him."

• Useful Useful x 1
  21. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,990
    That may be your primary goal as a spectator, but I guarantee that TT's goal is to ensure the long term success of the team, even if it means not making moves that have the potential to help win a SB this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    I think Thompson's ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl as well. He won't risk future success with precarious cap moves to increase the chances for a single season and having to rebuild afterwards though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +661
    As with everything, it's all a matter of degree. TT had better have the Super Bowl as a goal this year, but since there's no certainty of that, regardless of any personnel moves, he also isn't going to do anything stupid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,065
    looking at his contract I believe the team that acquires him is on the hook for only the base salary of this year and that is going to be prorated too and probably around 2.75 mil. This is the last year of his deal and all of his bonuses have been paid out already. Think the Jared Allen trade where he had on paper a huge 12 mil deal but the bears already paid him 11 of that with bonuses. It won't hurt the cap at all going forward and he may net you a comp pick if he leaves (idk if this is like baseball where you must play a full season with a team to get the comp pick).

With all of that in mind and the virtual lock of comp picks coming from Tramon and House I think you can trade a 5th or 6th for him and that would be replenished with the comp picks.

Idk if he will be a good fit and how long it would take him to get acclimated the the offense but financially speaking and regarding the future I think its insignificant.

25. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,592
    Trading for Davis after the Packers bye week would result in a cap hit of $2.8 million for Davis. While the move wouldn't result in any additional cap hit after this year the team would have approximately $2.5 million less to roll over into the 2016 season. With a lot of core players hitting free agency over the next two years I don't think that would be a smart move.

• Agree Agree x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.