Packers ranked 2nd in ESPN´s Future Power Rankings

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we can just keep our core defenders healthy for at least 95% of the season it wouldn't shock me. peppers has been pretty healthy throughout his career but Matthews worries me which is why I use the word CORE. He's our best pass rusher and he's stout vs the run but he hasn't played a full season since what? His rookie season? We need him to stay healthy or else Peppers won't be as effective as we want him to be. They both take attention off one another meaning I don't see anyone trying to double Matthews with Peppers on the other side and vica versa. It's very possible to have two guys with double digit sacks IF BOTH stay healthy.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think Clay only missed one regular season game in his first three NFL seasons (I believe he was available but held out of the final game of the 2011 season, like Rodgers). Unfortunately the last two seasons he’s played 12 and then 11 regular season games. I love his passion for the game but I believe that passion led him to making a mistake last season. He was understandably just ordinary playing one handed with that club on his hand so he insisted on wearing a smaller one, exposing his thumb so he could grab with it. I really hope they make him wait until the likelihood of re-injury is remote. Also, I wonder if he is one of the Packers doing yoga and whether or not that would help him with his hammy.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see questioning the relevance of a single thread or post as an attempt to discuss anything important about the Packers.

So the ESPN future rankings are an important topic to the Packers? They're integral in some fashion? Also, at what point did I discuss the relevance of this thread? I simply stated that I'd like to see the Packers be the favorites this year rather than in a couple years. How is that questioning relevance?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back on-topic a bit, I can see how TT has assembled the team to be good/great right now AND in 2 years. The best QB in the league still in his prime, no critical, obvious weak spots on offense except possibly TE (but potential studs ready to rise up to the challenge). A defense that has been utilizing only 1/2 of the playbook due to injuries/poor Safety play the past couple of years with young, talented DL's and DB's due for break-out seasons (Jones, Daniels, Boyd, Hayward, House, Hyde). The salary cap is still in very good shape now and after 1 or 2 WR's get extended.

Profootballtalk's power ranking for '14 have the Packers at #5, with AR's brilliance offsetting a still-weak defensive backfield.

I'm very happy that GB is being "projected" in the top 5, as others see the strengths (and weaknesses) of the team. I think we tend to focus and fret about the weaknesses of the roster and that they may not have been properly addressed in the offseason. TT has assembled a young, athletic 90 player roster, and late August cuts will be extremely difficult (again!).

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Back on-topic a bit, I can see how TT has assembled the team to be good/great right now AND in 2 years. The best QB in the league still in his prime, no critical, obvious weak spots on offense except possibly TE (but potential studs ready to rise up to the challenge). A defense that has been utilizing only 1/2 of the playbook due to injuries/poor Safety play the past couple of years with young, talented DL's and DB's due for break-out seasons (Jones, Daniels, Boyd, Hayward, House, Hyde). The salary cap is still in very good shape now and after 1 or 2 WR's get extended.

Profootballtalk's power ranking for '14 have the Packers at #5, with AR's brilliance offsetting a still-weak defensive backfield.

I'm very happy that GB is being "projected" in the top 5, as others see the strengths (and weaknesses) of the team. I think we tend to focus and fret about the weaknesses of the roster and that they may not have been properly addressed in the offseason. TT has assembled a young, athletic 90 player roster, and late August cuts will be extremely difficult (again!).

I couldn't agree more. Best 90 I have ever seen TT put together

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Welcome Pkrjones. I like your optimism and I too am optimistic about this Packers team but I think it’s too early to declare it the best roster Thompson has assembled. IMO the 2010 team still holds that title. Comparing both teams going into TC, the 2010 team had Clifton and Tauscher at OT (and a capable and healthy rookie in Bulaga who would take over for Tauscher), and Wells at OC. IMO those positions were stronger than the current team, but the current OGs are better than the ’10 OGs (even though one of ‘em was Sitton). I think the OL edge goes to the 2010 team. The ’10 team had Jennings (who had a great season), Nelson, Driver, and Jones at WR. I’m a big fan of Nelson and Cobb and the potential on the current roster so this may be a close call, but I give a slight edge to the ’10 team. They had Finley, Crabtree, and Lee at TE. Finley was on pace for a 70 receptions, 960 yards season before going on IR and he alone makes the ’10 team better at TE although I really like the potential on the current roster. The current team is much, much better at RB but the 2010 team had Ryan Grant (who was coming off of back-to-back 1,000+ yard seasons) and saw the emergence of James Starks just in time. I expect the 2014 Aaron Rodgers to be a little better than the 2010 version but I give a slight edge to the 2010 team on offense going into TC.

The 2010 team had a playmaking Raji at NT, Cullen Jenkins, and a younger version of Pickett on the DL; Barnett and then an enforcer in Bishop at ILB along with Hawk (who actually recovered a fumble and intercepted 3 passes in 2010). And it had Clay Matthews with both thumbs and hamstrings intact on the verge of his best season. I think the current team is better opposite Matthews with Peppers and Neal. The biggest difference between the two teams is Charles Woodson and Nick Collins. Two gifted play makers and the leadership Woodson supplied still haven’t been replaced. I like the depth at CB on the current roster but even the most optimistic Packers fan can’t realistically expect the current defense to match the 2010 D which finished 2nd in points surrendered (15pts/game) and 5th in yards surrendered.

So IMO the 2010 defense wins this going away. Of course I hope this is the best roster Thompson has assembled but it’s just a hope.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't say it was the best 90 TT has ever put together, just that it's made to be good/great now AND for the next 2 years.

The 2010 team WAS a very good team but it still had it's question marks. Looking at some 2010 preseason write-ups even though the Packers were the media darlings and preseason favorites there were quite a few "holes".
- Special teams was coming off of a league WORST ranking in 2009.
- The offensive line boasted 2 aging tackles and a guard competition of Jason Spitz & Daryn Colledge.
- Brad Jones was the expected book-end to Clay Matthews.
- The secondary had only 3rd rounder Morgan Burnett as an incoming draftee and had CB's Al Harris, Pat Lee and Will Blackmon ALL coming off of IR in '09.

Looking at the preseason '14 team I think there are less "holes" or question marks on the roster ~ mainly a starting OC and TE. The DL and LB group has a lot more depth and potential than the groups in '13 and the defensive backfield can't possibly (knock wood) be worse than '13 with the addition of Ha-Ha and swing-DB Hyde to the safety group. Should GB be preseason ranked #1? No... but top 5 gives them the credit that the organization deserves, IMHO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

So the ESPN future rankings are an important topic to the Packers? They're integral in some fashion? Also, at what point did I discuss the relevance of this thread? I simply stated that I'd like to see the Packers be the favorites this year rather than in a couple years. How is that questioning relevance?

You said you could care less about ESPN's future rankings, which is fine for me, I just don't get why you feel the need to post a comment in a thread you're obviously not interested in.

I don't think it is an important topic to the Packers but there aren't a lot of them in mid-July.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
#1 ~ I didn't say it was the best 90 TT has ever put together, just that it's made to be good/great now AND for the next 2 years.
You’re right, that was brandon2348.

BTW, it was Tramon Williams not Al Harris (who went from the PUP list to the Dolphins in November, 2010) who started at CB opposite Woodson. Williams played in all 16 games the previous season and started 10. Sam Shields had a remarkable rookie season as the nickel back. And while Burnett was the only incoming DB draftee he played well enough to begin the season starting opposite Collins – and then like 14 others went on IR – and was replaced by Peprah.With Woodson, Collins, Williams and Shields, it really didn't matter much who started next to Collins at safety: That was a remarkable play making defensive backfield.

Of course the advantage of the 2010 roster in comparison is the book has already been written on it - we know who emerged and the final outcome. And we know how incredibly deep it was overcoming all those players that went on IR.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
And while Burnett was the only incoming DB draftee he played well enough to begin the season starting opposite Collins – and then like 14 others went on IR – and was replaced

Of course the advantage of the 2010 roster in comparison is the book has already been written on it - we know who emerged and the final outcome. And we know how incredibly deep it was overcoming all those players that went on IR.
That to me was the real story of 2010. Thompson was pulling free agents off the street and they contributed mightily to our success. Guys stepping in and stepping up. Amazing accomplishment! We were very close to not making the playoffs.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Welcome Pkrjones. I like your optimism and I too am optimistic about this Packers team but I think it’s too early to declare it the best roster Thompson has assembled. IMO the 2010 team still holds that title. Comparing both teams going into TC, the 2010 team had Clifton and Tauscher at OT (and a capable and healthy rookie in Bulaga who would take over for Tauscher), and Wells at OC. IMO those positions were stronger than the current team, but the current OGs are better than the ’10 OGs (even though one of ‘em was Sitton). I think the OL edge goes to the 2010 team. The ’10 team had Jennings (who had a great season), Nelson, Driver, and Jones at WR. I’m a big fan of Nelson and Cobb and the potential on the current roster so this may be a close call, but I give a slight edge to the ’10 team. They had Finley, Crabtree, and Lee at TE. Finley was on pace for a 70 receptions, 960 yards season before going on IR and he alone makes the ’10 team better at TE although I really like the potential on the current roster. The current team is much, much better at RB but the 2010 team had Ryan Grant (who was coming off of back-to-back 1,000+ yard seasons) and saw the emergence of James Starks just in time. I expect the 2014 Aaron Rodgers to be a little better than the 2010 version but I give a slight edge to the 2010 team on offense going into TC.

The 2010 team had a playmaking Raji at NT, Cullen Jenkins, and younger versions of Jolly and Pickett on the DL; Barnett and then an enforcer in Bishop at ILB along with Hawk (who actually recovered a fumble and intercepted 3 passes in 2010). And it had Clay Matthews with both thumbs and hamstrings intact on the verge of his best season. I think the current team is better opposite Matthews with Peppers and Neal. The biggest difference between the two teams is Charles Woodson and Nick Collins. Two gifted play makers and the leadership Woodson supplied still haven’t been replaced. I like the depth at CB on the current roster but even the most optimistic Packers fan can’t realistically expect the current defense to match the 2010 D which finished 2nd in points surrendered (15pts/game) and 5th in yards surrendered.

So IMO the 2010 defense wins this going away. Of course I hope this is the best roster Thompson has assembled but it’s just a hope.

2010 team was great no doubt. They very talented as they dealt with a lot of injuries and ultimately won a Super Bowl. They got hot at the right time and going on the road and winning 3 straight games is an unbelievable feat. Although; They finished the season 10-6.

I like the safety situation on 2010 team better(mostly because of Nick Collins) and possibly the offensive line, but Campen says this years line has the makings to be his best offensive line yet. Especially from a depth standpoint so it is a wait and see. We play the Seahawks at Seattle so I cant think of a better early test.

The season hasn't played out yet but I believe from top to bottom this is the most talented 90 players Thompson has assembled. The back end of it is pretty darn talented so it will be interesting to see who makes it.

Green and Gold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking forward to September 4th! I'm glad we're getting Seattle in week 1. Two healthy teams to battle it out in the opening day.

Members online

Latest posts