Unofficial DeAngelo Williams thread

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After reading more and more about Reggie Bush and his lack of size, I have come to the conclusion that DeAngelo Williams probably would be a much more secure first round pick..!

Said about Bush;

This is a player at the running back position that for all his acculades that he has received in college, I feel he may be more athlete than football player. In that he is an athlete without a legitamite position for the next level, he does not posses the overall body strength to carry the ball on a consistent basis as a running back, and for the wide receiver position he does not have the instincts to be an every down player there

I have always been a big fan of RB's with a little size. I like Davenport, if he wasn't too injury prone, he would probably be a good RB for GB.

In the upcoming draft I feel DeAngelo Williams is the kind of RB we should go with. He has the size and speed to be successful in the NFL (and the name! :p).

Said about DeAngelo Williams;

He has the size and plays up to that size, to be an every down back on the collegiate and at the next level, he even plays bigger than his stature in the ability to withstand the punishment inside the tackles and the ability to bounce it to the outside

Williams is a West-Coast offense RB, and reminds me very much of Westbrook, only better. Williams is taller and bigger than Westbrook. He's better at picking holes and running through the tackles.

He seems to have good hands, and could be used as a receiver out of the backfield as well as the slot.

To me it seems like he would be a better choice than Bush, when we are aware that they are going to be playing in the NFL and not some college football league.

If we get the second or third overall draft pick, and Bush is still available, we could probably trade a few picks down + get another 4th or 5th round pick from a team desperate enough after Bush AND draft DeAngelo Williams.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all.....trading down a few picks will get you a high second round pick or even a low first rounder to the right team.

Second, Reggie Bush is 6'0' tall and weighs 200 lbs and strong as hell. He rarely shows his strength because nobody can catch him.

Thirdly.....you are going to be in big trouble bringing up Bush's name outside of the "official Reggie Bush thread".

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
reggie bush will not be a 25-carry a game back, he will be used more like brian westbrook, 15 carries, 5-10 catches, returns

my guess is unless we get #1 we're not getting reggie bush...there's a possibility lendale white will be there for us in round 2, if he comes out

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT doesn't trade down and Bush is there, he will take him, BPA. Williams plays in a weaker conference and Bush has always produced. What's that stat...10.5 yards everytime he touches the ball...

OP
OP
G

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But we need a 25 - 30 carry per game back. How the hell do you take pressure off a young QB (I'm not saying it's going to be Rodgers) if his back will only carry about 15 times per game?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bush doesn't carry 25-30 times a game because he takes it to the house every 4-5 touches. Also USC has weapons such as White, Leinart and Garrett....they HAD to spread the ball around. This argument reminds me of the Tiki Barber argument. He is too small to carry the load. Well they forgot about that the past two years......how is he doing?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gakko....so you want someone with size. Size and speed, right? Someone with enough size to be sturdy........like Najeh Davenport?

OP
OP
G

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea, someone like Davenport, just not that injury prone.
But not as big, as DeAngelo Williams, and he plays as if he thinks he is as big as Davenport :p

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a little unfair, DePack. Najeh entered the league injured and has spent the better part of his career the same. Conversely, there are guys like Warrick Dunn who, in spite of their size, seem to maintain reasonable health during their career.

Simply put, while there is no clear cut formula to determine one's potential for injury based on body size, it is still safe to say that, in general, the larger guys will tend to be more durable over the long haul.

Heck, if I have a shot at Bush at 1 or 2, I trade back to the 6 - 8 spot for a sizeable sum, take one of the following: AJ Hawk, Mario Williams, Mathius Kiwanika (sp), Holati Ngata or DeAngelo Williams....be very happy in that pick and have more ammo in the early 2nd and 3rd rounds in a draft that is heavy with talent throughout.

It is by all accounts on of the stronger drafts, top to bottom, that has occurred in some time.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D'Angelo Williams is a damn good back for Memphis and will be a very good pro in my opinion. He won't be the game-breaker that Reggie Bush will be. Bush is going to take what people think now of LT and raise it one more level. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times, the Packers will regret not taking #5 if they have the chance to do so. Anyone who feels that Bush can not carry the ball 25 times is going to find out about that as well. This guy is a COMPLETE running back who runs, catches, and puts the fear of God in the defense as only maybe Barry Sanders did in previous history.

This is my opinion and it's very easy to argue with at this point - it won't be so easy later on...

Heelntoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NDPackerFan said:
D'Angelo Williams is a damn good back for Memphis and will be a very good pro in my opinion. He won't be the game-breaker that Reggie Bush will be. Bush is going to take what people think now of LT and raise it one more level. If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times, the Packers will regret not taking #5 if they have the chance to do so. Anyone who feels that Bush can not carry the ball 25 times is going to find out about that as well. This guy is a COMPLETE running back who runs, catches, and puts the fear of God in the defense as only maybe Barry Sanders did in previous history.

This is my opinion and it's very easy to argue with at this point - it won't be so easy later on...

I completely agree on Bush. I've watched 4 SC games start to finish and he is amazing. He is so fast and changes direction in a flash, and he's really not that small. I also think there is a very good chance that Houston and NYJ will pick QB's.

But it's senseless to obsess about it; so many things can change by draft day. GB could win 4 games and pick 6-10, Bush could blow out a knee in the Rose Bowl... imho, he's head & shoulders above all the other backs, but maybe he's just another Brent Fullwood... top 5 picks can bite you in the butt.

OP
OP
G

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's only 6'0 :p That's not head & shoulders above other backs :)
DeAngelo is what, 5'9? Maroney is 5'11, so I think Bush is just a little above average in height.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Nobody picks in the top 5 thinking the guy "could" be a bust. Reggie Bush should be the top player picked and definitely the top RB picked in this upcoming draft. I've been accused of being "obsessed" by this but I'm merely stating a fact. I'd like to see GB draft one potential superstar than trade down looking for a diamond in the rough. That's all I'm saying, take it or leave it...

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs...I was making the same point you were. You can't predict injury potential based on size. I will disagree that big guys are in general more durable. I think it has more to do with running style. The most durable backs seem to be elusive smaller guys that you rarely get a square shot on like a Barry Sanders....Emmit Smith....Marshall Faulk....Reggie Bush. Bigger guys that don't move as well and run higher take more shots from the defense.

My real point is don't shy away from Bush because you think he is too small. We passed on Barry Sanders.....I'd hate to do the same thing with Bush.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As do I Gakk but personally I think you will see backs available in the later rounds. I like Williams as well but if you look at his stats he has not been used as an outlet back much like reggie has or say Calhoun where they are a recieving threat downfield. The pack has to take all those things in cosideration. I also think the Pack needs to think about Line help more this year than in the past. need to find OL that can pull like say Lineman from wisconsin whos bread and butter has been pulling.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
The only thing I consider certain is that we get a good back if we draft one in the first round. Yes I consider it certain.

Well, I certainly hope the Packers take a RB on their first choice. And I also like Williams as possible #4-5 pick.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
is there an 'Unofficial start samkon gado next year' thread

i'm sorry, gado is going from 'flash in the pan' to...really starting to show me something, he's making cuts, finding holes, scoring td's...and if our offensive line improves next year, he will be a rushing threat for all 16 games

gado back next year, possibly davenport--maybe, and sign/draft another back with some speed who can catch out of the backfield--our top 10 pick should not go to a running back now that we're almost guaranteed to not get reggie bush

haloti ngata would be a great way to replace grady jackson who i think we let go after this season

aj hawk would be great to solidify our linebacking core, why exactly did we start lenon and poppinga tonight

va tech's jimmy williams can play both corner and safety--extremely well

defensive ends--i think KGB should be replaced...kiwanuka, mario williams, and PENN STATE's tamba hali are going to be out there in the top half of the 1st

Members online

Latest posts