1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Underclassmen in 2006 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by CalifPacker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    The latest list of underclassmen is growing. With the #5 pick and the #37 (round 2) the Packers have an oppertunity to nab two outstanding players that could make major contributions next season.

The following is a list of underclassmen who have declared they will enter the 2006 NFL draft.

Antonio Cromartie, CB, Florida State
    Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland
    Maurice Drew, RB, UCLA
    Ray Edwards, DE, Purdue
    Willie Hall, OT, Middle Tennessee State
    Devin Hester, WR/CB, Miami
    Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State
    Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
    Omar Jacobs, QB, Bowling Green
    Greg Lee, WR, Pittburgh
    Danieal Manning, CB, Abilene Christian
    Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
    Richard Marshall, CB , Fresno State
    Stanley McGlover, DE, Auburn
    Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
    Bernard Pollard, S, Purdue
    Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia
    Drouzon Quillen, WR, Louisiana-Monroe
    Ko Simpson, S, South Carolina
    Ernie Sims, LB, Florida State
    Rob Smith, G, Tennessee
    Demetris Summers, RB, South Carolina
    Paul Szczesny, LB, Arizona State
    Stephen Tulloch, LB, North Carolina State
    Marcus Vick, QB, Virginia Tech
    Dee Webb, CB, Florida
    Mario Williams, DE, North Carolina State

2. mattresell

mattresell Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    add Vince Young to that list

3. ravage

ravage Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice long impressive list until you at how those same guys are ranked at their positions. At best nine of them are even in the top 10 at their position.

One of those WR Holmes. Sounds good except this year is considered one of the weakest WR crops in some time.

That brings us to eight.

Both of the TEs should be great NFL prospects but both will be gone by our second round pick and #5 is too early to take one of them so they matter little to the Packers.

RB Maroney could be around in round two but I think other positions will hold better players at that point. In my opinion after the top 2 RBs there is a big dropoff.

Both of the higher ranked DEs would be a intriguing for the Pack I must admit. Especially Mario Williams, but which to take at #5 Williams or Kiwanuka?

DT Ngata is again a very interesting guy for GB but I can't see them taking a NT so soon. Again you would have to choose between Ngata and Wright.

Way too early for a Safety. Blue and Huff will be lucky is they go late first round or early second.

Lastly Hester isn't as tall or big as I would like to see in a CB. Especially his weight.

At best six or seven of these guys go in between our first and second round picks. I guess it helps a bit in letting a couple of guys slip farther down the food chain in the second round. Other than the TEs, the two DEs and the DT I don't see much on list that the Packers will miss out on or even want.

4. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Hester I think, would be best as a WR and KR/PR.

5. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    we dont need a wr\kr, and we sure dont need a young CB....i dunno, i dunno. Gakk, awesome picture

6. ravage

ravage Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I couldn't find Hester listed under anything but a CB ranking. I think most NFL people see him as a CB.

7. GakkofNorway

GakkofNorway Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0