Uncle Ted's FA/Draft strategy

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There has been much speculation into Thompson's free agency approach or lack there of. Many believe TT to be a cheap skate unwilling to pay for free agents. My question is what does he have to gain from saving the cap? I'm pretty sure he understands that if he doesn't spend it, the money cannot be moved to 07.

With that in mind I think we might see some kind of draft day trade like this:

GB sends #5
KGB
Javon Walker

Houston gives GB the #1 pick (Reggie Bush)

The Packers use the cap for Reggie's humungous signing bonus and to absorb all of the accelerated bonus' from KGB ridiculous contract.

From reading everyone's comments on Mario and Hawk, I think most of us are dead set on getting a stud defender. But wouldn't it be awesome to watch Darlene Sharper try to handle Reggie Bush on a screen pass, or watch Reggie return a punt. The guy would generate improbable mismatches all over the NFL.

As for KGB, I for one am tired of him posting sacks on the lessor left tackles in the league and then having his *** handed him against a good left tackle. Please don't even get me started on his run containment.

As for Walker, I'm torn between letting him rot or trading for value. If we could land Reggie by using him, I would find away to live with it.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DakotaT,
You have brought up something I have read in various places.

There are some that say a team can defer salary cap money into the next year.

I feel fairly tuned in to NFL issues, but I had never heard of this before this year. I have always been under the impression that, what you don't use in a given year you lose.

Enlightenment please!

This is a question I have been thinking of asking on here for the last few days.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yooperfan said:
DakotaT,
You have brought up something I have read in various places.

There are some that say a team can defer salary cap money into the next year.

I feel fairly tuned in to NFL issues, but I had never heard of this before this year. I have always been under the impression that, what you don't use in a given year you lose.

Enlightenment please!

This is a question I have been thinking of asking on here for the last few days.

I don't think that is true but you can sign players to extensions during the season to a point and some of the signing bonus can go toward this season's cap if you have room available.

I'm no expert on the cap but I think this is what you may be referring to.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
You can't defer cap money from one year to the next, however you can write the contract in which we use more cap room this year and less in comming years (see Smoots contract from last year). Additionally there is some latitude is how to absorb the "dead" money in contract of cut or traded players. Moving it from this year to next or from next to this year.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would the Texans want to pickup KGB's contract?

They'll stay put and take Bush. Plus I'm not to sure even if that's enough value for the #1 pick.

KGB's value is probably a round 4 pick
Walker's is probably a round 3 pick

That's definately not enough value for the #1 overall pick. We'd have to throw in next years first rounder for sure.

We don't have the ammo to trade up and anyone who thinks KGB with his contract and Walker coming off an injury will get a 2nd round pick each or higher please take off the green & gold glasses because they won't right now..

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
KGB is not worth his paycheck for one thing. I'm not bashing him but he is overpaid for what he could be expected to produce.

Secondly, to my knowledge, TT has never traded UP.

We would be cutting our throats giving up our #1 receiver without replacing him and there's not much chance of that happening at this point.

I don't think Bush even wants in at GB and quite honestly I don't care to see him or his big paycheck here anyways.

How many teams have to bust the bank on a RB only for it not to work out and ends up hurting them for years.

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you serious? this is a terrible idea. We already 2 good RB's already and Defense wins not RB's look at barry sanders.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I sure hope Thompson is not basing his entire off-season strategy on a trade that is unlikely to happen. Then again, I still have little idea what Thompson's strategy is based on, so I can't say I have a better idea. There is some solace in knowing that the Patriots have about the same amount of cap room right now, and usually the Patriots know what they are doing.

carlos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we stay at no. 5 I'd take Bush, if available, or grab Williams, Hawk or, don't laugh, take one of the top 3 QB's. Just in case AR isn't "the guy". You never have too many good QB's, especially with injuries. Also, an extra QB could be potential trade bait down the pipe.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Why would the Texans want to pickup KGB's contract?

They'll stay put and take Bush. Plus I'm not to sure even if that's enough value for the #1 pick.

KGB's value is probably a round 4 pick
Walker's is probably a round 3 pick

That's definately not enough value for the #1 overall pick. We'd have to throw in next years first rounder for sure.

We don't have the ammo to trade up and anyone who thinks KGB with his contract and Walker coming off an injury will get a 2nd round pick each or higher please take off the green & gold glasses because they won't right now..

Well said.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay...But besides the proposed trade, I think the question: "What is TT's plan...what is he saving the money for?" is the important thing to think about here.

I think we have a case of a proposed trade clouding the real point, if I may say so, Datoka...

Just my take.

As for me...I feel that TT is planning on building slow...We all know he hates FA, even if he's backed off on those kind of messages sense the beginning of his run here...

Building the old fashioned way...Draft. We'll see the money spend on short term, fill-in contracts, and that's that...That's my guess. Few, if any big names...Pickett is our big FA move...

Members online

Latest posts