Tyni's Mid-Season Reflections and Position Group Grades after week 10

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just some stepping back and placing a grade now at the "mid-point" of the season...actually past it truly. This is looking at positional groups, not individuals; although I do in brief narratives discuss at times some individuals.

Special Teams as a Whole: D+

If you removed Bojo from this overall grade I'd argue for an F. Amari has not done anything special but has been serviceable and better last few weeks...but honestly as a whole very abysmal year really. Bojo gets an A but that's it.

Quarterbacks: B-

I just haven't been too happy overall with it...and I will admit the B- may be a bit harsh, cuz a bad Aaron Rodgers is still better than most the league. But I expected more and have gotten less. With the slew of injuries and OL woes, it makes some sense and I wouldn't be shocked if once Bahk is back we solidify and really hit a stride.

Running Backs: A

Not sure you can to this point have expected more out of your two headed backfield. Every single game it seems if Jones is off Dillon steps up, if Dillon is off Jones does. Truly been an immense blessing to have two very deadly and yet different RBs to use. Jones injury hopefully won't steal him for long, but I cannot praise this group enough IMO. We've left some yards at times out there, but as a whole any issues we've had are not due to RBs not delivering.

Wide Receivers: B...eh...let's go B+

This group has continued to be dependable, reliable - yet as we all know outside Adams definitely not extraordinary. The thing that bumps this to a B+ for me is pulling through without Adams, the depth stepping up without your top two really illustrates solid roster building (this isn't to take away anything from having a GOAT at QB - fully acknowledge this). I think my favorite part of this room is just how different tools each WR seems to bring to the room.

Tight Ends: B-

I'm a Josiah Deguara fan, most know this, however he is what drags this down. He can and has shown he can do more, yet is struggling. Lewis is playing A level without a question and many fail to understand just how CRUCIAL of a cog he is whenever this team sees success. Another reason this is a B- and not a B or higher outside of Deguara is it appears we don't have a Tonyan replacement ready - which I know it is impossible to have crazy depth at every role. We are far from weak here, but I think there is definitely room for growth, especially out of Josiah.

Offensive Line: Undecided...one hand I want to say A, otherhand B-
I struggle to put a grade because on one hand this group has overcome some incredibly hard to handle injuries. Having to have Yosh play so many games at LT, starting two rookies... Relative to expectations we are doing amazing, relative to OL performance we are struggling at the guard positions, especially Newman.

Defensive Line: B

The resurgence of Lowry this year is what bumps this up to flirt with an A...however the supporting cast of Keke, Slaton and Lancaster has been a true Jekyl and Hyde type performance. I like the projection of this group, and plenty of room left on what I think this room's ceiling is. Good news is we are not regressing here as a whole, which has been the case in the past.

OLBs: A

I've loved this group for so many reasons, but mainly because they've suffered losses (Z and Rivers....now possibly more) and yet have been one of the most consistent groups with a G on their helmets. Preston is playing incredibly well against the run this year, starting to get pressures and dictate the pocket...Gary is just an athletic freak, Garvin taking steps forward and Whitney an excellent addition. Ladarius could be called back after being released now depending how Gary/Mercilus injuries pan out....but SOLID group performance so far this year.

ILBs: A+

The ONLY knock on this group is the depth behind Campbell and Barnes. That duo gets an A+ from me. Campbell has arguably been the most pleasant surprise guy of 2021. I knew he was going to be dependable, but I would have NEVER expected this level of production, just a special special thing we are watching in Green Bay. Burks is why this group gets the only A+ for me, his growth and providing a real #3 here just makes this group round out into something special as whole as well as the starters being incredible.

Cornerbacks: B

I would go B+ instead of a B- or C+ because of what we've had to overcome. The loss of Jaire, King being unable to go for a time, the Yiadom failing as a starter, Stokes being a rookie.....this group is playing incredible all things considered. Rasul has been just a home run pick up and Sullivan is starting to show signs of why the staff has always been so high on him. You add Jaire back to this squad at somepoint and I could hear an argument that this is the best CB room or should be that we have had in a LONG LONG time looking just at this year and what they've been doing.

Safeties: B

Amos and Savage are just a nasty good pairing, despite starting the season a little rough. Throw in Henry Black really overshooting what most ever would have guessed he'd be at this soon in his career and this group has been solid - especially of late.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much of the B- is attributed to Love and how much is attributed to Rodgers, but if it's attributable to Rodgers, I'll have to push back a little.

The Saints game was a referendum on everyone, Rodgers included. But since that point, I think he's played some really solid football. Is it up to his 2020 standards? Not really. But to your point, the constant shuffling on the offensive line has been tough.

Rodgers' last two games haven't been eye popping from a statistics perspective, but one was without our three best receivers and another was immediately after coming back from COVID. The games before that were all very high level games from him.

He's missed some throws that he normally makes and I don't want to gloss over that, but to me it's more of a B+ than a B-.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how much of the B- is attributed to Love and how much is attributed to Rodgers, but if it's attributable to Rodgers, I'll have to push back a little.

The Saints game was a referendum on everyone, Rodgers included. But since that point, I think he's played some really solid football. Is it up to his 2020 standards? Not really. But to your point, the constant shuffling on the offensive line has been tough.

Rodgers' last two games haven't been eye popping from a statistics perspective, but one was without our three best receivers and another was immediately after coming back from COVID. The games before that were all very high level games from him.

He's missed some throws that he normally makes and I don't want to gloss over that, but to me it's more of a B+ than a B-.

I don't have any major issue with that argument of the B- being perhaps touch critical on the QB room grade.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score

i am a major fan of rodgers, but this has not been a great season for him. and coming immediately after a year where he was a genuine mvp in the truest sense of the word, i've been slightly disappointed. i totally understand the o-line issues and the quality of the receivers not named davante adams, but rodgers is about 750 yards behind the top passers, and has only a 2 yard lead on taylor heineken. even his passer rating is barely in the top ten. i can fully buy into the b- rating - especially if it includes love.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd give the QB's a straight B. The inconsistent accuracy of passing dragging it down. Rodgers I feel has generally done really well with the other aspects of QB play and leadership (covid mess withstanding).

D-line is solid B+, borderline A- to me. Same with the cornerbacks. Stokes has been better than I expected and Douglas has been flat out terrific.

ILB's are definite A+. Campbell has played like a first team All-Pro. Easily the team MVP to this point in the season. The entire defense is playing so much more aggressively and with a physicality we haven't seen in at least 10 years. I credit this to Campbell, Barnes and/or Barry.

RB's - A+

O-line - B+ or A- ..... The run blocking has been very good by NFL standards imo. Pass blocking good enough to keep Rodgers upright but needs work yet. Kudos again to Stenavich. Dude deserves a big raise in pay imo.

Special Teams - F. It's been an abysmal failure. Bojorquez's punting is the only thing keeping it from being an F-.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
i am a major fan of rodgers, but this has not been a great season for him. and coming immediately after a year where he was a genuine mvp in the truest sense of the word, i've been slightly disappointed. i totally understand the o-line issues and the quality of the receivers not named davante adams, but rodgers is about 750 yards behind the top passers, and has only a 2 yard lead on taylor heineken. even his passer rating is barely in the top ten. i can fully buy into the b- rating - especially if it includes love.
He's definitely not performing up to the level he did last season, but I think many don't highlight how much offensive lines play into it.

Played most of last year with Bahktiari, Jenkins, Linsley along the middle to left side of the line. Now compare that to this season. The difference this makes is immeasurable.

I hope Bakhtiari comes back strong and we get really healthy on the line. Because I think if that happens, the offense gets back to dropping 30+ again.

D

Deleted member 6794

Tight Ends: B-

I'm a Josiah Deguara fan, most know this, however he is what drags this down. He can and has shown he can do more, yet is struggling.

Deguara has been a disappointment so far this season. He looks totally clueless on far too many plays out there.

There's no doubt that Rodgers was terrible in week 1 against the Saints. Since week 2, he ranks second in the league in passer rating though.

O-line - B+ or A- ..... The run blocking has been very good by NFL standards imo.

I'm not sure that's true as the Packers rank 27th in yards before contact in the league.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deguara has been a real let down. He got hurt really early in the year last season so he is still really inexperienced but he should know the system a little better. Not knowing where to lineup or where to go on breakdowns shouldnt be happening past a rookie season regardless of injury. One thing that has really disappointed me this season with him is his blocking because I thought he would have been much better. As a run blocker he whiffs a lot in that FB role. Maybe its because its new to him but its gotta be a lot better. I dont even think Dafney is that good but hes been much better in the FB role than Deguara I think.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt that Rodgers was terrible in week 1 against the Saints. Since week 2, he ranks second in the league in passer rating though.

it's not just one game. he's getting close to 1,000 yards behind matt stafford. he's got ten less td passes than brady and his td% is ranked #9, his completion % is #15 (66.4%), he has 53 fewer first downs passing than mahomes. his passer rating is 101.9 and his qbr is 61.4.

last year he led the league with 48 td passes and led the league in td% with 9.0%. his pass completion % led the league with 70.7%. and his passer rating was almost ten points higher than the next guy at 121.5. even his qbr was the highest in the league at 84.4.

it's a pretty big drop-off for one year. yeah, i know he's had one horrible game and one missed game, but that doesn't explain everything. let's not forget that in 2020 week five rodgers had a game that was even worse than week one of 2021, and he still blew everyone else away for the season.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of Rodgers struggling is the god awful supporting cast around him.

Same receivers as last year, which aren’t very good, but the major difference is the significant downgrades along the offensive line.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he struggled last game all by himself. Things outside his control were not perfect but just getting over covid had an effect. I think at least as much mental as physical. And then just sitting around for 10 days...that needs some adjustment time. And now here is again sitting around again it sounds like. Still his body and mind should be better prepared this game. It's a divisional game and anything can happen. I hope he is able to feel comfortable in the pocket. An early offensive start is usually a good sign for this offense imo.

Reaction score
I always felt with Love, with time and support, he could be a elite qb.
There aren't to many backup rookery qb that can play for a game or two and light up the scoreboard.
Even Rodgers, he has to find his comfort zone and that comes with lots of practice

D

Deleted member 6794

it's not just one game. he's getting close to 1,000 yards behind matt stafford. he's got ten less td passes than brady and his td% is ranked #9, his completion % is #15 (66.4%), he has 53 fewer first downs passing than mahomes. his passer rating is 101.9 and his qbr is 61.4.

last year he led the league with 48 td passes and led the league in td% with 9.0%. his pass completion % led the league with 70.7%. and his passer rating was almost ten points higher than the next guy at 121.5. even his qbr was the highest in the league at 84.4.

it's a pretty big drop-off for one year. yeah, i know he's had one horrible game and one missed game, but that doesn't explain everything. let's not forget that in 2020 week five rodgers had a game that was even worse than week one of 2021, and he still blew everyone else away for the season.

There's no doubt that Rodgers hasn't played at the same level as last season but it was totally unrealistic to expect him to repeat that performance considering that was the second most efficient season by a quarterback in NFL history (based on passer rating).

While the total numbers might suggest he has struggled compared to other quarterbacks he now ranks second in passer rating after yesterday's game vs. the Vikings.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of Rodgers struggling is the god awful supporting cast around him.

Same receivers as last year, which aren’t very good, but the major difference is the significant downgrades along the offensive line.
Adams, Cobb, Lazard and MVS back now plus Jones and Dillon are good catchers plus Tonyan (before injury). It definitely isn't "awful".

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's definitely not performing up to the level he did last season, but I think many don't highlight how much offensive lines play into it.
It's a two way street. Can't recall the exact plays, but more than a couple of occasions,I've thought he was holding on to the ball for far too long. Think it led to a couple of sacks too. With the shuffle in OLine, he really should have been quicker to get the ball out. Between AR and MLF, I think they could have done far better.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a two way street. Can't recall the exact plays, but more than a couple of occasions,I've thought he was holding on to the ball for far too long. Think it led to a couple of sacks too. With the shuffle in OLine, he really should have been quicker to get the ball out. Between AR and MLF, I think they could have done far better.
I was frustrated by that 3rd and 8 overthrow to Scantling in the very beginning of the game because Cobb had beaten his man across the middle running right in front of Rodgers. MVS had cleared the field with his deep route leaving all kinds of room for Cobb to run with it…. But instead …..the offense got better fairly quickly after that though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was frustrated by that 3rd and 8 overthrow to Scantling in the very beginning of the game because Cobb had beaten his man across the middle running right in front of Rodgers. MVS had cleared the field with his deep route leaving all kinds of room for Cobb to run with it…. But instead …..the offense got better fairly quickly after that though.
I saw that too, but I think it was one where he almost predetermined before the snap. They were showing A gap blitzes and he knew it was either get the ball out quick or hold it and risk being sacked outside of FG range and losing any chance at points. Turns out he probably could have held it just a tick longer and Cobb would have been running for an easy first down and likely to the redzone. But with how our Oline protects up the gut sometimes, I don't blame him for getting it out quick either.

Members online

Latest posts