Two names that could fill the rb void

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Payton Hillis or Rashard Mendenhall. Payton hillis intrigues me most because heres a guy that's 26 yrs old and really didn't do anything in Kansas City last year. I like the fact that he's a big bruising back, and having one of those in the winter could be ******* the opposing defense. He's definitely got the look of a Packer rb but could he flurish in a zone blocking scheme?

Mendenhall use to be a sure 1,000 yd back before he started getting hurt. He's got good quickness and can move the chains. He just fumbles to much. Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Packer uni tho.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll stick with DuJuan Harris. Although we didn't draft the guy, he has that "home-grown" feeling. I also think that he appreciates and will continue to appreciate being a Packer, having rescued him from selling cars. He is quick, elusive, and runs HARD.

Honestly, the ONLY backs I would consider making #1 over Harris would be Adrian Peterson or Arian Foster. I am sure I will get flamed for this, but I just like Harris that much. I would LOVE to see a Cedric Benson / DuJuan Harris 1-2 punch in the backfield.

Alex Green I wouldn't mind seeing let go for Payton Hillis. It pains me to say so, because he is a Packer and I don't like talking about them leaving our team but he just didn't impress me this year. This was his shot to make an impact and he failed. Ryan Grant and James Starks made bigger impacts for us this year, and Grant was out of football for MOST of the season and Starks was in and out with injury.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll stick with DuJuan Harris. Although we didn't draft the guy, he has that "home-grown" feeling. I also think that he appreciates and will continue to appreciate being a Packer, having rescued him from selling cars. He is quick, elusive, and runs HARD.

Honestly, the ONLY backs I would consider making #1 over Harris would be Adrian Peterson or Arian Foster. I am sure I will get flamed for this, but I just like Harris that much. I would LOVE to see a Cedric Benson / DuJuan Harris 1-2 punch in the backfield.

Alex Green I wouldn't mind seeing let go for Payton Hillis. It pains me to say so, because he is a Packer and I don't like talking about them leaving our team but he just didn't impress me this year. This was his shot to make an impact and he failed. Ryan Grant and James Starks made bigger impacts for us this year, and Grant was out of football for MOST of the season and Starks was in and out with injury.

I like dujuan Harris as the starter. I just would like to see a big guy who can run over people and consistently move the chains. I'd like to see something in the likes of a Warrick Dunn/Mike Alstott 1,2 punch.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Benson is that kind of a runner, but I do not know if he will be coming back this year. Starks ha the potential, but is injury prone, sadly.

If Hillis is available I would entertain the possibility of trading Alex Green for him. Also, we haven't really got a good look at Mark Tyler and Brandon Saine yet.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A new RB isn't going to fix the run blocking problems

This is true. Jake Long is probably going to get a franchise tag in Miami, do we dare trade away some picks for his services? could he singlehandidly help fix the sack problems and help our running game. I think so.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is true. Jake Long is probably going to get a franchise tag in Miami, do we dare trade away some picks for his services? could he singlehandidly help fix the sack problems and help our running game. I think so.

Hate the idea of signing him. IR the past two seasons and will want insane money. The production has decreased the past 2 years as well.

UpDownEndAround

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the RB who intrigues me the most is Ahmad Bradshaw...his only real downside is his on and off injuries the past couple of seasons. If our medical staff doesn't believe he's a huge risk, I'd love to take a look at him. He's a far superior talent than either Hillis or Mendenhall and he clearly has a passion for the game. I don't think you can say the same for Mendenhall and certainly not Hillis.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tag Jennings, they tag long and then make a glorious dually beneficial trade.

ChrisFrisk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well the Giants just relaeased Bradshaw. I love the guy. He's pretty fast and pretty tough as well. He missed a few games this season and still had over 1,000 yards. But can he stay healthy? Can ANY of our players stay healthy? That's been a huge problem the last three seasons. Time for a new strength and conditioning coach anyone? Anyhow, I think a Bradshaw/Harris combo would be legit.

ChrisFrisk

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You'd be surprised how big of a difference a running back can make in the blocking game. Our line has has opened some holes, Harris found them just fine. Get a good running back in our backfield and I bet he finds them too. Pass blocking will improve, the safteys will cheat up and Rodgers will torch em. It's too easy.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Hillis would be the only guy I'd go for. If we're going to get an injury back, might as well take a familiar injury in the Hamstring

Mendenhall fumbles entirely too much

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahhhh the offseason..

Every other big name will be mentioned until training camp starts

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Well the Giants just relaeased Bradshaw. I love the guy. He's pretty fast and pretty tough as well. He missed a few games this season and still had over 1,000 yards. But can he stay healthy? Can ANY of our players stay healthy? That's been a huge problem the last three seasons. Time for a new strength and conditioning coach anyone? Anyhow, I think a Bradshaw/Harris combo would be legit.

I hate Bradshaw and he's a fumbler. I don't like Hillis either. Rashard would be a lot more intriguing if this season wasn't so abysmal for him. He had a nasty injury and he fell to like 4th on the depth chart in Pittsburgh and he's become a fumbler too.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

The nail has been hit on the head. It's not so much the running back, it's the blocking. We are also a team that just doesn't run the ball as much as some of us don't like to think about. We've also been injury prone at RB, this could partially be due to poor run blocking. I don't see T.T. making a play for a RB like Mendenhall or Hillis. I would personally rather see those picks go to the O-Line where I think our need is the greatest. If we had a decent O-Line we wouldn't have to resort to the running game as much. Let us not forget the RB's we already have. They are a young group, give them time to develop. The player I see making the greatest impact is Cobb. I see him as our own version of Hestor.

M

mayo44

I like dujuan Harris as the starter. I just would like to see a big guy who can run over people and consistently move the chains. I'd like to see something in the likes of a Warrick Dunn/Mike Alstott 1,2 punch.

You mean like Dujuan Harris/LaGarrette Blount? That could be a killer combo. And Blount isn't nearly the bad guy some people think he is.

M

mayo44

It might be more RB than some may think. Harris got us 4.6 yards per carry on 34 attempts and he was averaging 5.0 against the 49ers. The run blocking seems to be just fine when he's on the field.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
It might be more RB than some may think. Harris got us 4.6 yards per carry on 34 attempts and he was averaging 5.0 against the 49ers. The run blocking seems to be just fine when he's on the field.

True he got those numbers, but he is a tad more slippery of a runner than the other we have/had.
No way I would go for payton hillis, he had one good season for the browns and has been going down hill ever since. If there is any free agent I would take a look at it would be Ahmad Bradshaw, but he will want to big of a payday.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Mendenhall use to be a sure 1,000 yd back before he started getting hurt. He's got good quickness and can move the chains. He just fumbles to much. Wouldn't mind seeing him in a Packer uni tho.
Perfect. A frequently injured RB who fumbles too much. But hey, we know his name so the Packers have to sign him! I like this post as an example of fans’ delirious suggestions for Thompson’s off season acquisitions. Except it’s way too early, the insanity is just beginning!

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was kind of thinking the same thing. Why take a back who is injured and fumbles too much? All that will happen is the folks on here will complain that our Strength & Conditioning coach should be fired along with the running backs coach!

M

mayo44

I say we just look for a back that can average better than 4.5 per carry for us and put up consistent numbers against the better run defenses like SF.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perfect. A frequently injured RB who fumbles too much. But hey, we know his name so the Packers have to sign him! I like this post as an example of fans’ delirious suggestions for Thompson’s off season acquisitions. Except it’s way too early, the insanity is just beginning!

ahem ahem..well excuse me. I believe Tiki Barber had fumbling issues unil late in his career, so that is something that can be fixed with the proper coaching. As far as injuries i don't think he's as injury prone as Starks or Green but wayy more productive and some of you guy's have ha patience with them so.....

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1. sample size.
2. He got 2.8 against the vikes.

Sitton is the only one on the team thats a good run blocker.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts