Tretter Lang Ryan talk

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OL is the one area where I trust TT.

There is no reason to sign both of these guys, I think a lot of us agree on that. I'm going with Tretter. The younger, cheaper, and more versatile player.

I feel like TT had the idea to let Sitton and Lang loose when he drafted Spriggs and Murphy.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
OL is the one area where I trust TT.

There is no reason to sign both of these guys, I think a lot of us agree on that. I'm going with Tretter. The younger, cheaper, and more versatile player.

I feel like TT had the idea to let Sitton and Lang loose when he drafted Spriggs and Murphy.

Not sure about that. Spriggs is a natural tackle and Murphy might not be good enough to count on for anything other than depth.

But I do agree that they have to choose. Personally, I go Lang. He's better, he's more proven, he's more durable, and he is a better fit as a natural guard. Tretter is probably best suited to center, but we have a good center.

I would keep Lang and draft a center prospect in the ~5th round and maybe some guard depth late. Maybe higher if a guy like Elflein falls and is just terrific value.

D

Deleted member 6794

That would be weird as both Spriggs and Murphy are best suited to play tackle.

I would keep Lang and draft a center prospect in the ~5th round and maybe some guard depth late. Maybe higher if a guy like Elflein falls and is just terrific value.

I agree the Packers need more depth on the interior of the offensive line even if Lang or Tretter is re-signed. It would be absolutely necessary to upgrade the center and guard positions if both walk away in free agency.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a lot of you guys are overvaluing stats...

Interceptions/sacks/FF/TFL obviously are stats that make a difference/matter

but I don't care if Ryan or Blake get 120 tackles next year if they're all 5 yards downfield.

I think Blake is good and Ryan is a poor man's AJ Hawk (AJ made "plays"(sacks, interceptions) his first few years)

You guys are forgetting that TT had wanted Shazier a while ago.. my guess is due to athleticism

I see Blake as being serviceable.. Ryan is "ok". With what we have right now, it might be best to move Clay inside(but at a lower salary)

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure about that. Spriggs is a natural tackle and Murphy might not be good enough to count on for anything other than depth.

But I do agree that they have to choose. Personally, I go Lang. He's better, he's more proven, he's more durable, and he is a better fit as a natural guard. Tretter is probably best suited to center, but we have a good center.

I completely forgot about Murphy as OT backup. Maybe TT lets both Tretter & Lang walk & plans on Bulaga sliding inside, with Spriggs taking over RT? Depends on the progress of Spriggs, but might help Bulaga play for another few years. Still want to draft (5th round-ish) an inside guy to backup OG/OC if necessary but more for development and start in '19.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I completely forgot about Murphy as OT backup. Maybe TT lets both Tretter & Lang walk & plans on Bulaga sliding inside, with Spriggs taking over RT? Depends on the progress of Spriggs, but might help Bulaga play for another few years. Still want to draft (5th round-ish) an inside guy to backup OG/OC if necessary but more for development and start in '19.

Spriggs came out pretty green. I wouldn't be too excited to have him start already. Given that Bulaga is still playing at a high level at RT, I would let the situation at OT remain status quo for another season. But if they feel that's the way to get the best 5 on the field, so be it. I will say for Spriggs that his work at guard was probably an unfair exposure. That's just not his position.

If he let's both Tretter and Lang walk, then I would be looking for them to spend a relatively high pick on a RG. Forrest Lamp or Pat Elflein, someone like that. But I really doubt it will end up happening. I'm guessing that one will walk and one will stay, with the latter playing RG. Then they just need to invest in interior depth and call it good.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you guys nailed it

Spriggs will likely replace Bulaga in a few years... or soon

Bulaga could probably move inside and play guard.. but I would rather have us keep Lang and let Bulaga play LG as I think Bulaga is better suited for that side of the line anyway.

I'm pretty sure there are different responsibilities for LG/RG and I'm more comfortable with Lang at RG

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Seems like no matter what 5 guys start the season on the OL, you are going to see 2 other guys get some significant snaps at some point in the season. I can see letting either Lang or Tretter walk, but would be nervous about letting them both go. I actually think Tretter would be the guy I would keep, at 26 he probably has more tread left on his tires and is more versatile than Lang.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If he let's both Tretter and Lang walk, then I would be looking for them to spend a relatively high pick on a RG. Forrest Lamp or Pat Elflein, someone like that. But I really doubt it will end up happening. I'm guessing that one will walk and one will stay, with the latter playing RG. Then they just need to invest in interior depth and call it good.
TT hasn't picked a non-tackle for OL except Linsley in the past 5 drafts. He converts tackles to whatever position is needed. You have to go back to 2006 for any non-tackle before the 4th round. TT is probably pinning his OL hopes on this guy: http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com...ick-prepared-if-packers-guards-down/98350824/

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I think a lot of you guys are overvaluing stats...

Interceptions/sacks/FF/TFL obviously are stats that make a difference/matter

but I don't care if Ryan or Blake get 120 tackles next year if they're all 5 yards downfield.

I think Blake is good and Ryan is a poor man's AJ Hawk (AJ made "plays"(sacks, interceptions) his first few years)

You guys are forgetting that TT had wanted Shazier a while ago.. my guess is due to athleticism

I see Blake as being serviceable.. Ryan is "ok". With what we have right now, it might be best to move Clay inside(but at a lower salary)

If TT truley wanted Shazier then he needs to step up to the mic and draft Haason Red**** this year.

Martinez and Ryan are role players.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Really, really don't want to use our 29th pick on Lamp, though. OL in the 4th, 5th or comp pick would be a good place, IMHO.

I would only go there if they let both Lang and Tretter walk, which I don't think they will.

D

Deleted member 6794

Matthews is average at best playing inside and not a significant upgrade over either Ryan, Martinez or Thomas.

Bulaga could probably move inside and play guard.. but I would rather have us keep Lang and let Bulaga play LG as I think Bulaga is better suited for that side of the line anyway.

I'm pretty sure there are different responsibilities for LG/RG and I'm more comfortable with Lang at RG

Bulaga isn't suited to play on the left side of the offensive line. He has played on the right side for all of his NFL career meaning his muscle memory is used to it by now. That may have played a role in him tearing his ACL once McCarthy decided to move him to left tackle during the 2013 offseason.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's a lot of money for a soon to be 30 years old guard.

Agreed. Releasing Sitton last year turned out to be a good move (all but the no trade part), when Lane was able to step in and be pretty solid. Letting Lang walk now brings up the obvious, who replaces him? Barclay, Spriggs or Lucas? Not so sure I would want to see either of those 3 on opening day. So then you have to go out and find a comparable player in free agency or add another position of high need to the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. Releasing Sitton last year turned out to be a good move (all but the no trade part), when Lane was able to step in and be pretty solid. Letting Lang walk now brings up the obvious, who replaces him? Barclay, Spriggs or Lucas? Not so sure I would want to see either of those 3 on opening day. So then you have to go out and find a comparable player in free agency or add another position of high need to the draft.

I would prefer the Packers to draft a guard capable of starting in week 1 than offer Lang a contract exceeding $8 million a season.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would prefer the Packers to draft a guard capable of starting in week 1 than offer Lang a contract exceeding $8 million a season.

Agreed. But if the guard position joins CB and OLB as high priority needs in the draft, because TT did not address them with signing FA's, that is a lot to ask a draft to fill.

I might be looking at a guy like Warford who should come at a considerably lower price. One guy that intrigues me for depth is Luke Joeckel. He hasn't done what a #2 pick in the draft was expected to, but I think at 25 and a low end deal, he just might be a guy who adds some depth and ability to play 2 positions.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed. But if the guard position joins CB and OLB as high priority needs in the draft, because TT did not address them with signing FA's, that is a lot to ask a draft to fill.

I might be looking at a guy like Warford who should come at a considerably lower price. One guy that intrigues me for depth is Luke Joeckel. He hasn't done what a #2 pick in the draft was expected to, but I think at 25 and a low end deal, he just might be a guy who adds some depth and ability to play 2 positions.

I think it's way easier to find a guard capable of playing at a decent level in week 1 than a cornerback or outside linebacker.

Warford might not come significantly cheaper than Lang and I would prefer the Packers to pass on Joeckel as he has been terrible for his entire career.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think it's way easier to find a guard capable of playing at a decent level in week 1 than a cornerback or outside linebacker.

Warford might not come significantly cheaper than Lang and I would prefer the Packers to pass on Joeckel as he has been terrible for his entire career.

I agree with the notion of finding a capable guard is much easier (and cheaper) than a CB or OLB, which is probably why they let Lang walk if the numbers start getting over $8M.

I think Warford will come at price of $2M or more less than Lang, but the Packers may be fine with even a cheaper option.

Joeckel would be an upgrade over Barclay and at the right price (under $2M) would be insurance at both Guard and Tackle on what could be a very thin line if both Tretter and Lang are not resigned.

D

Deleted member 6794

Joeckel would be an upgrade over Barclay and at the right price (under $2M) would be insurance at both Guard and Tackle on what could be a very thin line if both Tretter and Lang are not resigned.

The Packers would need to address the offensive line if Lang and Tretter leave in free agency but I don't want them to bring in Joeckel at all.

Members online

Latest posts