Tretter Lang Ryan talk

Sky King

Reaction score
The brittle, oft injured Tretter is okay at center and maybe okay as an emergency (only) option at T. He doesn't have the anchor to be a full or part-time G. Between he and Linsley the Packers have about 1.5 available centers at any one time due to their injuries, mostly Tretter's. Too bad he's not a long-snapper. It might help him to avoid the frequent injuries, yet still allow him to serve as an emergency fill-in along the line.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
which is why I picked ryan he already has experience outside. there is a possibility that he could play but I it's food for thought. whether outside inside, i still believe ryan and mart will be our future LBs. just a hunch. hopefully they don't regress next year. :eek:

btw...not one of you had an inclination that mont would be our star running back. :D

Montgomery is a completely different situation. His body type and his level of explosion allow him to be a successful RB. Add his receiving skills as a receiver and it allows him to be quite effective.

Not to burst your "Ryan Bubble" but he has average lateral movement and footwork. He also plays tight and has a hard time changing direction. Finally he lacks the ideal length that you would like at OLB. Ryan is classic "downhill thumper". The less you have Ryan in space the better. I don't see his ceiling much higher then where he is at now but I'm sure he will be around for his entire rookie contract at the least.

I was high on Martinez coming out last year but he was getting snaps taken away by Thomas as season went on so that's not a great sign coming out of the gate.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Montgomery is a completely different situation. His body type and his level of explosion allow him to be a successful RB. Add his receiving skills as a receiver and it allows him to be quite effective.

Not to burst your "Ryan Bubble" but he has average lateral movement and footwork. He also plays tight and has a hard time changing direction. Finally he lacks the ideal length that you would like at OLB. Ryan is classic "downhill thumper". The less you have Ryan in space the better. I don't see his ceiling much higher then where he is at now but I'm sure he will be around for his entire rookie contract at the least.

I was high on Martinez coming out last year but he was getting snaps taken away by Thomas as season went on so that's not a great sign coming out of the gate.

I think we should wait and see if Ryan progresses or is limited based on the problems you mentioned, if he can't correct them, that handicaps his playing abilities. After all this is just his rookie year. He made some nice plays though.

As for Mart...he did suffer some injuries but played like he was a veteran earlier in the season before his injury.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we should wait and see if Ryan progresses or is limited based on the problems you mentioned, if he can't correct them, that handicaps his playing abilities. After all this is just his rookie year. He made some nice plays though.

Ryan was drafted in 2015 and therefore played in his second season last year. It seems to me he's capable of turning into a decent inside linebacker but there's no way he has success as an edge rusher in the NFL.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan was drafted in 2015 and therefore played in his second season last year. It seems to me he's capable of turning into a decent inside linebacker but there's no way he has success as an edge rusher in the NFL.

alright I get it he is too slow for outside. lol

didn't even notice the guy his rookie year. :p correction is due on my part. ok he is no kuechly. lol

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

As for Mart...he did suffer some injuries but played like he was a veteran earlier in the season before his injury.

I dont think Ryan is a bad player but I just dont see him being the answer on the outside. He is a serviceable ILB. Trust me, it would be great if he was the answer. I guess you could throw him out there in a pinch in an emergency situation. This whole LB situation is a little touchy with me cause they should be better there.

I mean if it came down to a guy like Ryan on the outside they would be better off paying Matthews and taking a chance he can somehow stay healthy and perform at a little higher level still then he has recently.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think Ryan is a bad player but I just dont see him being the answer on the outside. He is a serviceable ILB. Trust me, it would be great if he was the answer. I guess you could throw him out there in a pinch in an emergency situation. This whole LB situation is a little touchy with me cause they should be better there.

I mean if it came down to a guy like Ryan on the outside they would be better off paying Matthews and taking a chance he can somehow stay healthy and perform at a little higher level still then he has recently.

point taken. but remember IF ryan ever plays outside and become pro bowler you're buying me a beer and a shot of macallan 30 yr. :D

H

HardRightEdge

What per year [for Perry], ballpark anyway?
$8 mil per year. Maybe $9 mil.

27 years old, coming off an 11 sack season while playing several games with a club, true 3-down player who can hold the edge. The only question is the injury history.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If Lang walks It would make sense to draft guard like Dan Feeney in the 2nd. He will start in this league for years! If we resign Lang and Tretter walks, then wait till later round for Asiata or Siragusa maybe 4th or 5th
TT rarely drafts college guards and centers. Linsley is about the only one. His history is to draft LT's and convert them to the other line spots.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan is going to be the next AJ Hawk...Martinez has the most potential but he's just injury prone. As for Tretter? he's serviceable and could be a starter, but he to is injury prone. As for Perry? He's our best overall olb..but yup , you guessed it! He's also jury prone!!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Ryan is going to be the next AJ Hawk...Martinez has the most potential but he's just injury prone. As for Tretter? he's serviceable and could be a starter, but he to is injury prone. As for Perry? He's our best overall olb..but yup , you guessed it! He's also jury prone!!

:roflmao:

Well by those standards, Mason Crosby and Schum are about the only non-injury prone guys left. I'm seriously trying to remember a Packer player (starter) who wasn't injured at some point this season. Daniels, Guion, Peppers and Dix? AR didn't miss any real time due to injuries, but he had to play through a calf and hammy issue.

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score

if he is anything like hawk i'll take it. that guy was beast. wasn't the best but hey, if our linebackers are anything like 2010 i'm all for it, rod! btw...martinez is a tough kid and that is prone to injury because he plays his heart out. that kid is going to be a star....

D

Deleted member 6794

In my opinion it's too early to label Martinez as injury prone.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It would be nice if they were able to keep both Lang and Tretter on team friendly deals, given Lang's age and injury and the time Tretter missed this last season. However, some team in need of a starting center (arguably LAC, WAS, CLE, MIN, TB, ARI, SF, and LAR) may want to give him a nice starter level contract. The Packers won't match, nor should they. So they might at least get a compensatory pick out of the deal.

If they can keep Lang, then a great starting OL remains in tact. The depth at OT is fine, so that would just mean they need to look to bolster the interior depth via FA/Draft (most likely the latter in this case).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd really like to keep Lang, and I think Tretter is the better of the 2 between him and Linsley, but he's missed a lot of time due to injury. Will that keep his price down? if yes, keep him, if not, we don't.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'd really like to keep Lang, and I think Tretter is the better of the 2 between him and Linsley, but he's missed a lot of time due to injury. Will that keep his price down? if yes, keep him, if not, we don't.

I tend to think Linsley and Tretter are pretty comparable. But even if Tretter is better, the line functions very well with Linsley and the latter is on a cheap rookie contract for another season. What would be nice is if the knee injury suppressed Tretter's value enough that they could bring him back on a cheap one year deal to rebuild his value. Then they can stack them up in camp, see what happens, and decide on which one they'd like to extend into the future.

However, there is such a need for competent OL play league wide that I can see one of these teams with tons of cap room throwing a lot of money at Tretter simply because they HAVE to upgrade.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine pro football players getting injured. Wtf? How does that happen?

Especially since the injuries are spread out so evenly. Would hate to think of what would happen to the Pack if a bunch of their guys were all out or hurt at the same time. :whistling:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if he is anything like hawk i'll take it. that guy was beast. wasn't the best but hey, if our linebackers are anything like 2010 i'm all for it, rod! btw...martinez is a tough kid and that is prone to injury because he plays his heart out. that kid is going to be a star....

Guess we may have Hawk threads/references for as long as we've had Favre. :) I don't think anyone questions Hawk's character, reliability, football intelligence, all-around lunchpail mentality - 'beast' is not something that even comes to mind when describing him. For as long as the Packer middle has been exploited, I'd prefer someone who doesn't set tackle records beyond the first down line and can cover when required. As will always be noted, it wasn't Hawk's fault he was drafted where he was, and having Ryan perform like him would be appropriate, I'd prefer someone the other guys really have to plan for.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Especially since the injuries are spread out so evenly. Would hate to think of what would happen to the Pack if a bunch of their guys were all out or hurt at the same time. :whistling:
Stop thinking about that! It never happens.....and if it does, we have very capable and experienced players ready to step in at every position! :eek:

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My two cents...

- Elite Pass Rusher (Melvin Ingram) with youth and experience, use that money for this position
- ON THE CHEAP...sign some DTs with pass rush skills, create a platoon depending on situation
- Solid veteran CBs (don't have to be elite, but MUST TACKLE!!!), Sam Shields had to go!!!
- A #1 WR ready for grooming, move Jordy to #2 or use as a Big Slot WR a la Larry Fitzgerald
- Draft a bruiser @ RB like Blount from Patriots
- Sign/draft a COMPLETE Inside Linebacker (Donta Hightower?), I wish the DEF would be a 4-3 base, but Capers is still here
- Drop Richard Rodgers, draft a complete TE that is solid in all phases of offense, coupled with...
- Re-signing J. Cook
- Restructure Cobb's contract with bonus incentives
- PLEASE HIRE AN UP AND COMING DB COACH ASAP!!!

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
My two cents...

- Elite Pass Rusher (Melvin Ingram) with youth and experience, use that money for this position
- ON THE CHEAP...sign some DTs with pass rush skills, create a platoon depending on situation
- Solid veteran CBs (don't have to be elite, but MUST TACKLE!!!), Sam Shields had to go!!!
- A #1 WR ready for grooming, move Jordy to #2 or use as a Big Slot WR a la Larry Fitzgerald
- Sign/draft a COMPLETE Inside Linebacker (Donta Hightower?), I wish the DEF would be a 4-3 base, but Capers is still here
- Drop Richard Rodgers, draft a complete TE that is solid in all phases of offense, coupled with...
- Re-signing J. Cook
In other words do what you've been trying to do every season just with different names and what every other team in the league with an established QB is trying to do also.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
My two cents...

- Re-signing J. Cook

I think it's a good point regarding a corner who can tackle. Speed gets brought up a lot, but the Patriot corners who did such a good job on the Atlanta receivers are not fast by the standard of that position. Both ran in the 4.6's coming out, but they are great tacklers.

I'm not saying that Ingram is a bad idea, but I do think that anyone expecting an elite pass rusher would be disappointed. He's more of a robin than a batman. He really blossomed once the Chargers brought in Bosa. He would help for sure, but you'd probably see a decline from his 2016 play.

Members online