Tramon Williams Retires

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most likely, Williams wouldn't have been able to make a difference in that game at that point in his career.
Well... that’s probably true because the Packers wouldn’t have/didn’t have him play in place of King... but I really doubt Williams would have allowed that TD just before halftime had he been playing that position instead of King.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well... that’s probably true because the Packers wouldn’t have/didn’t have him play in place of King... but I really doubt Williams would have allowed that TD just before halftime had he been playing that position instead of King.

And maybe Williams wouldn't have tugged on the receiver's jersey on the 3rd down on the Bucs final drive, which was an uncatchable ball.

It is safe to say that Williams would not have played any worse than King.

D

Deleted member 6794

If the Packers line up in the same stupid formation on that play I highly doubt Williams is fast enough to cover Scotty Miller on it either.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers line up in the same stupid formation on that play I highly doubt Williams is fast enough to cover Scotty Miller on it either.
No but he was probably smart enough to cover the end zone instead of running with the guy when the only thing that mattered was a TD.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No but he was probably smart enough to cover the end zone instead of running with the guy when the only thing that mattered was a TD.
I agree. I don't think Williams would've gave up that TD.

Reaction score
I would’ve had a 4-1-6 with 3 Safeties playing a deep 1/3 zone before the ball was even snapped to challenge any deep throws with double coverage.
I’ll give them the underneath up to 15 yards.
It’s likely Brady would’ve seen that blanket and either taken a shorter option or just thrown that ball away altogether to avoid an INT run back for a TD (when he’s leading going into the halftime).

IMO, The only throw he was going to take was if there was a clear breakdown or placing the ball away from the S and giving his receiver an outside % chance. What’s odd is Redmond was on an island and having a slower King covering man. It was more the position designation without any over the top help. Who calls that on a Hail Mary?
Really odd formation and Pettine screwed up miserably on that play. It would become 1 of several plays that ultimately cost us that game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I believe that's wishful thinking. Williams would have most likely expected safety help over the top on a deep throw which wasn't there because of a terrible play call.

As a side note, the Bucs could have completed a short pass to try a field goal on the next play as well.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that's wishful thinking. Williams would have most likely expected safety help over the top on a deep throw which wasn't there because of a terrible play call.

As a side note, the Bucs could have completed a short pass to try a field goal on the next play as well.
I’d have to go back and check but my recollection is that there wasn’t time for that.

D

Deleted member 6794

I’d have to go back and check but my recollection is that there wasn’t time for that.

There was even a second left on the clock after the touchdown pass to Miller. It would have definitely been possible to complete a short pass and get out of bounds to kick a field goal as well.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would’ve had a 4-1-6 with 3 Safeties playing a deep 1/3 zone before the ball was even snapped to challenge any deep throws with double coverage.
I’ll give them the underneath up to 15 yards.
They didn't want to give up the field goal. Doesn't excuse King not playing for the deep ball when he was one on one with a speedster nor the play call putting him in that situation.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No joke been a lot of sadness in these bones of late...Jamaal's joy will be elsewhere...now Tramon retiring...I swear if Big Dawg retires or signs somewhere else I'm probably gonna break my lenten fasting of giving up alcohol.
It's hard to believe how quickly the time has gone by. Wasn't TW added in the same draft class as Casey Hayward?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What makes Tramon's retirement especially sad for me is that the players from the 2010 team are now almost gone. Just Rodgers and Crosby remain on the team. And around the league, the only other active player I can think of is Bulaga.
Thanks for the research, wow! Is Cobb gone now, or was he drafted after the 2010 SB?