trade up?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should we think about jumping ahead of the bears if we see a player we like just to make sure the bears dont grab him?

take a look at this mock draft from espn
NFL Blog Network mock draft - AFC South Blog - ESPN

They have the Bears taking Gabe Carimi at 29 and the Packers selecting Derek Sherrod at 32. If that played out would we want to move up to 28 to grab Carimi?

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know. What's more important to the team right now.? An O-Lineman or a OLB? I would like to see Brooks Reed fall to 32 and we snatch him.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Idk we won the Title with set pieces as of now and OT Chad Clifton is one of the more easily injured players on the team due to his age while solid ROLB play nothing spectacular just doing what you have to do. I'd say for next season OT is the more dire need.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't get our hopes up on nailing somebody early (trading up). I think we will draft best available, I honestly don't see Ted bringing out the big guns to trade up for a draft pick this year. It depends on where our need is the greatest and who is available. I really have a very good feeling as to where this team is at right now. We have players coming back from IR as well as free agents to sign. I'm not saying the draft is irrelevant to us, that would be silly. I have to believe T.T. has been on this draft situation all along, lockout or not, he never rests. It's going to be really interesting to see who we land up with!!! I still think we need to focus on someone for special teams, but that's just me ...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If that played out would we want to move up to 28 to grab Carimi?
I don’t think Carimi falls that far but if he did, my answer would be yes, go up and get him. Think about it: With Carimi and Bulaga the Packers could be set at OT for quite some time. The wall in front of Rodgers for the rest of his Packer career would really be taking shape.

Also, it's always good to steal from the Bears. I really liked Thompson’s trade up to get Morgan Burnett last draft because I think he’ll be very good and because Thompson and his staff identified and went after a player they really liked. The other reason I liked it is because I think – and some “experts” agree (not that that matters) - the Bears would have taken Burnett at pick #75 (the Packers picked him at #71). The Bears settled for Major Wright, who was their first pick of the draft because of the Cutler trade. So with the trade up, Thompson grabbed not two but three quality players before the Bears got to select one and they got their pick of safties before the Bears.

But the most important reason is I think Carimi will live up to the hype and be very good. I don't expect it but if Thompson could make a trade, perhaps with his ole buddy John Schneider, and pick Gabe with the 25th pick I’d be all for it.

Reaction score
Same situation with Matthews. TT won't take anybody too early but if someone drops back to the late 20's and a few teams seem to be interested in that certain player, you'll probably see him trade up for it by giving up the 1st and 4th / something like it.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im hearing mixed things about gabe's character. but according to someone I trust he is a good guy.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm gonna throw this out there and duck any incoming rotten tomatoes. Should be jump on a backup QB, 3rd string? Depending on Flynn's status of course. Somebody brought up drafting a QB in another thread and at first I was thinking hells bells no, but the more I think on it, it's not a bad idea.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm gonna throw this out there and duck any incoming rotten tomatoes. Should be jump on a backup QB, 3rd string? Depending on Flynn's status of course. Somebody brought up drafting a QB in another thread and at first I was thinking hells bells no, but the more I think on it, it's not a bad idea.

This is the perfect year to trade a QB as about 10 teams are desperate for one.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the perfect year to trade a QB as about 10 teams are desperate for one.

That's what I'm thinking. Flynn's trade value had to of gone up exponentially with the Patriots game. That trade, done right, could be huge for us. The problem is, then WE would need another backup QB, or two, I like to have a 3rd string. Given last season, we really don't want to sell ourselves short with QBs and land up in a hole.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same situation with Matthews. TT won't take anybody too early but if someone drops back to the late 20's and a few teams seem to be interested in that certain player, you'll probably see him trade up for it by giving up the 1st and 4th / something like it.

Matthews is special, T.T. doesn't just jump for anyone! :) I think if he trades up, it's going to be for something huge.

OldSchoolFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We trade Justin "I'm hurt, I have a hangnail" Harrell, PLUS a pair of Aaron Rodgers game worn socks to the queenies and take Von Miller!
(They just couldn't help themselves, after all he would be an ex - Packer) :viksux:

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see Thompson trade up to get that one very special impact player. With all of the IR players returning, and really not losing too much to FA, it seems the roster is pretty set and there isn't a large need for a lot of picks to build the depth. That, and Thompson always seems to find a gem or two in his undrafted FA's. I know it isn't his normal style, but I would be happy to see him do it.

Members online

Latest posts