1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Trade Matt Flynn for...

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by ivo610, Feb 13, 2011.

1. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    I wasnt wondering about the draft I was wondering if since they are lifting the lockout would that allow for trades to happen.

2. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Doesn't matter if the jury is still out. What matters is how other teams perceive his body of work, and if he did enough in that one game to convince another team to make a play for him. I think he did, and here's why-

Teams constantly roll the dice by taking rookie quarterbacks on draft day, especially in the first round. They throw gobs of money at them without ever seeing how they perform in an actual game. With Flynn, they got to see a prospective quarterback play, and play well, in a nationally televised game in front of millions of people. The fact that he damn near beat what was then the best team in the league in front of a national audience will speak volumes, and boost his stock.

As for value, I don't know if I can see a first being offered, but definitely a 3rd and possibly even a second. If there's a good showing this preseason, and depending on how Graham Harrell comes along, we could even make a trade for some higher 2012 picks.

3. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    The point I was trying to make is there would not have to be a lifting of the lockout for the draft to happen. The ability for the NFL to hold it's draft is not impacted in the slightest by the lockout.

The only thing the lockout will prohibit in response to draft day is teams being able to sign the new players. Otherwise all rules hold.

In other words, no, teams cannot make trades for currently signed players over draft weekend. They can trade draft picks, but players currently under contract, i.e. Matt Flynn, cannot be traded.

4. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    Problem is QB school may not be able to happen. Coaches are not permitted to have contact with players without a new CBA in place after March 4th. That's going to be killer for players like Graham Harrell, who need the development.

5. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    thats true, but he can still work on being a better QB and they have till March 3rd to get stuff situated so he has the playbook and videos and w/e else is needed for him to study

plus he can pick Rodgers and Flynn's brains while they are off and i'm sure MM will talk to them all about that.

6. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
  7. PackersATW

PackersATW Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I don't see Thompson trading Flynn. Like some have said I don't see anyone parting with more than a 3rd or slight possiblity of a 2nd round draft pick either.

The value of having an extremely solid backup QB for a Super Bowl run is greater than a 3rd or 2nd round pick.

If you're talking a first well than there's a temptation! :)

8. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    Packers' Flynn drawing a lot of trade interest? - CBSSports.com

9. JoshuaRHuffman

JoshuaRHuffman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    I'd be stunned if we got a 1st straight up for Flynn. Cassel went 10-5, posted good stats, and only went for a 2nd (plus Vrabel had to be given up, also).

Someone might give up a high second rounder, though. The QB Draft class is weak and I think Flynn is a more intriguing than any of the four main choices in the draft. SF & TEN are strong possibilities for high second rounders (Assuming they have 2nd rounders).

If we can't get a 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder plus something, I'd just keep him.

10. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +626
    I hope you don't get disappointed easily.

11. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    Thank you for being realistic. I could see a team parting with a low second round pick or third round pick for Flynn. 1st Round picks are highly valued. I just can't see a team at the back of the first round trading the pick.

You did bring up an interesting point. What if TT roles the dice and gets a 4th and a conditional draft pick in 2012. Depending on the conditions (i.e. playoff birth/Pro-Bowl), the 2012 pick could be a first rounder.

12. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    how many spots in the first round would it take to move up for you to think we got a fair deal?

13. rawalabhay

rawalabhay Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +28
    I think we keep him for another year and draft another QB in the later rounds, we might be able to get more for him next year!

14. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    He would be a FA

15. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    Are you talking about Flynn + the #32 pick to move up in the first round?

16. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    yeah

17. NelsonsLongCatch

Ratings:
    +626
    Well, let's look at this realisticly... Teams drafting #26 through #31 all have franchise-type QB's. You have Big Ben, Cutler, Sanchez, Brady, Ryan and Flacco.

The Seattle Seahawks draft #25. They traded a high pick for Whitehurst last year.

Teams drafting #24 through #17 all have franchise-type QB's and don't need Flynn. You have Brees, Vick/Kolb, Peyton Manning, Cassel, Freeman, Manning #2, Rivers and Tom Brady again.

The closest team that would trade for Matt Flynn in the first round would be Jacksonville at #16. As the first round stands right now, the Packers ony shot at moving up in the first round is to #16. The #32 pick is worth 590 points and the #16 pick is worth 1000 points. That would make Flynn worth 410 points, equivalent to the 17th pick in the second round.

In the real world, GB has a better chance of getting a pick in the top of the second round. Arizona, San Francisco and Tennessee seem like the ideal choices.

• Like Like x 1
  18. fettpett

fettpett Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    That "point value" system is so retarded, completely made up by Jimmy Johnson and everyone adopted it. Frankly I hope that w/e rookie wage scale system makes that thing obsolete. All it takes is one GM to think that a 3 year guy is greater than a rookie and will cost them more up front.

of course trading him before or during the draft completely depends on the CBA

19. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +965
    This, of course, is everything. No CBA = no trades for anyone, so everything else is merely speculation.

20. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    Flynn for Cameron Wake :)

I know im dreaming but its the preseason and I need something to dream about haha. But seriously, the Phins would be dumb not to do that.

21. 2411t

2411t Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +119
    Flynn + what kind of draft pick. 3rd round?

22. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    Not giving up a pick. Phins would win more games with Fynn than Wake.

He is making about a half mil a year, so its cap friendly.

23. 2411t

2411t Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +119
    Wow the guy is 29. Didn't see that one coming. They should give us a pick.

24. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,116
    If Flynn leaves next season the Packers will receive no draft picks in compensation.

25. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    What I don't get is why these teams didn't go for Flynn, yet kept their same ****** qb with problems.

1. San Francisco
    Jim Harbaugh is retarded thinking one of the biggest busts ever that they took over Rodgers, will win 8 games this year :shok:

2. Arizona
    They were listening to ESPN too much if they really think Kevin Kolb is good.

3. Miami
    WHY THE HELL IS CHAD HENNE STILL THE STARTER!!!!?????
    Are they on crack? Oh wait, it must be cocaine since that city was the home of all the kingpin drug lords in the 80's.

4. Washington
    Mike Shanahan finally proved that he only won 2 Super Bowls because of two guys; Elway and Davis. I know McNabb is not that wonderful, but he is stupid if he thinks Rex and John Beck is a better replacement.