Top 5 Coaching Hot Seats In 2020

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
On PFT this morning Florio had the question to Dan Katz "Is Jon Gruden a better coach than____". Brutal. Hard to argue the point they make that Gruden is getting by on his personality rather than coaching ability.

Have to get through the advertisements -

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On PFT this morning Florio had the question to Dan Katz "Is Jon Gruden a better coach than____". Brutal. Hard to argue the point they make that Gruden is getting buy on his personality rather than coaching ability.

Have to get through the advertisements -

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I did see parts of the game last night, and the Raiders definitely let a winnable game get away from them.

One of the knocks on Gruden I'd give is that he just seems to have the Raiders a notch above the awful that they were under most of their previous coaches, but it really doesn't look like they're going to make that leap forward.

It's just so crazy how a team beats the Saints, Chiefs, and Browns yet in the same season loses bad vs the Falcons and drops last night's game vs the Chargers.

As I said earlier, I don't think Davis wants to shell out the 70 mil that Gruden would get if he was fired. It's possible though that if Gruden doesn't take a substantial leap next year you might have owner and coach giving each other hell enough to a point where you got a Jimmy Johnson in Dallas or Harbaugh in SF type situation where Gruden just opts to walk out.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, season's end is just about upon us, and with that comes Black Monday. This season has already seen 3 head coaches get dumped, and three more seem almost certain to follow. There are also two coaches that are going to be closely monitored depending on today's results, and more sitting on the bubble.

The three who should be gone no ifs ands or buts are Adam Gase, Doug Marrone and Anthony Lynn. At this point, there really is no justifiable reason for any of them to keep their jobs.

Then the coaches who are out of the playoffs but are still up in the air:

Zac Taylor, Mike Zimmer, Doug Pederson, Vic Fangio, and Jon Gruden

Zimmer and Pederson's seats are probably the hottest of this group, though both also have arguments for giving them one more year. It wouldn't shock me if they both were fired, but the likely outcome is they both get a make the playoffs or else mandate for next year.

Gruden is probably the least likely to get fired due to his contract. But his name will be circulating around the hot seat list because there's certainly arguments to be made that the Raiders should be doing better than 7-8 this year, and he may get crucified in the court of fan public opinion.

Coaches whose futures could depend on today:

Matt Nagy and Mike McCarthy

No question that getting the Bears in the playoffs will extend Nagy's job, as will the Cowboys making them ensure McCarthy is kept around. The question will be whether the three late season wins for both coaches are enough to keep them alive if their teams don't make the playoffs. For McCarthy, probably since he is only in year one, and so far the Joneses seem to have his back. For Nagy, it's a little less clear. The heat may have cooled down on him a little since the 6-game losing streak, but after starting out 5-1, you gotta think the Bears ownership would expect better than 8-8 and missing the playoffs (assuming that's what happens). Plus the Bears latest wins have come against highly inferior competition.

ARPackFan

Reaction score
I don't get last nights Washington Philly game unless there was an agreement between Jeffry Lurie and Doug Pederson to tank the game for a better draft position. How does Pederson keep his job if last night was all on him?

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, so far on Black Monday

Only Gase and Marrone are gone so far. It's expected Lynn will be shown the door too, but will keep an eye.

Right now doesn't look like anything will happen to Zimmer

ARPackFan

Reaction score
Well, so far on Black Monday

Only Gase and Marrone are gone so far. It's expected Lynn will be shown the door too, but will keep an eye.

Right now doesn't look like anything will happen to Zimmer

Lynn gone also according to NFL Network.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup 3 down

The awful Zac Taylor is staying for now

Zimmer and Pederson don't appear to be going anywhere yet

Reaction score
Another big changing of coaches in NFL is going on and I wonder who do you think, (if any) in the Packers
camp would likely leave town for another team after the play offs or Super Bowl?

Also, ever wonder how some coaches that do a lousy job always land on their feet only to collect millions
somewhere else?

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there is a position in the world with better job security than head coach of the Cincinnati Bengals.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another big changing of coaches in NFL is going on and I wonder who do you think, (if any) in the Packers
camp would likely leave town for another team after the play offs or Super Bowl?

Why, don't you know? Mike Pettine has teams like Detroit already knocking on his door who will hire him away once the Packers win the Superbowl and he shall be sorely missed... LOL

Obviously that probably won't happen but it would be comical if one of our division opponents did that.

Anyway, only person I could possibly see getting snatched up off our staff if we won it all is Nathaniel Hackett. Always struck me funny though that MM was always trying to get his assistant coaches hired up instead of feeling lucky he was retaining them.

ARPackFan

Reaction score
Odd timing on the firing as far as waiting and getting behind in coaching interviews. But not a shocker.

Not surprised he was fired but I wonder if there could be a team that looks at Pederson and their current coach and starts thinking upgrade?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts