Top 5 Coaching Hot Seats In 2020

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say I defended MM for most of his time in Green Bay and often thought the constant complaining about him here by certain posters got ridiculous. But his regular season records since 2014 have been getting worse and worse, and that just seems pretty telling to me. Sure, I think there is some truth to Jerry Jones and the state of player character there in Dallas, but I just don't feel it's so bad that his current trajectory should look worse than what Jason Garrett was doing in his last year there. I think there's just only so much you can see before you gotta reach the conclusion that MM simply is a "once was great" HC but not so much now.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

MLF if anything around here is to go by. He`s stale, unable to adapt in game situation, and is dragging the franchise down. Dump him now !

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy actually may not last a year in big D now. That was a disgrace last night. I mean, I get it, looks good on the Cowboys etc., but that looked like a complete coaching **** show out there.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Zac Taylor's seat just got hotter today.

BAD on all counts

Matt Patricia has now had his bacon saved twice by AZ and ATL.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Mike McCarthy actually may not last a year in big D now. That was a disgrace last night. I mean, I get it, looks good on the Cowboys etc., but that looked like a complete coaching **** show out there.
Sounds like he lost the team. Players are going to soon be making business decisions.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So here's the list as of now of HCs who need to go

1. Adam Gase - Worst coach I ever seen who needs to be banned from ever holding any coaching job ever again.

2. Doug Marrone

3. Matt Patricia - Won't be gone before the season is up, but no reason he shouldn't be fired once the season is up

Not far behind:

Matt Nagy - tanking after a 5-1 is not going to sit well with the media, plus even though Trubisky isn't a savior QB per se, his constant decision to just stick with Foles even though his offense is tanking is looking bad. Plus if you alienate a QB period, which it feels like has happened here, that's not good, so Nagy very much could be in trouble if the Bears finish below 500

Possible fires but not likely

Rivera and McCarthy: Rivera probably won't go anywhere because Washington has a lot of rebuilding to do, and probably will need at least 2 seasons to get real progress done. But I've never thought of him as a great coach, and I'm just not sure they aren't rethinking the hire.

McCarthy, well same thing ... plus losing Dak Prescott might be an excuse for Jerry to keep him. But I still think he has lost his edge since we fired him, and I don't expect him to suddenly get it back either.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Quinn and Obrien are already gone and Gase, Marrone, and Patricia are very likely gone. That is five and the NFL averages about 7 each year.

Here's my short list for a couple of others that deserve consideration to be shown the door -

Matt Nagy - The former OC should be able to build a functional offense in his third year but instead the Bears are regressing.

Vic Fangio - His best calling is to be a DC. Not HC material.

Doug Pederson - Agree with Favre that it is time to fish or cut bait with Carson Wentz. Team has spent a S***load of money to make it to 3-6-1 and the eagles are a minimum of $65M over the cap in 2021. If he can't win with this years roster I doubt he can do it with a bunch of street FAs.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough to say at this point

What may end up saving Nagy is that aside from us, he's got a bunch of garbage opponents left on his schedule

Bears play the Lions, Texans, Jags and Vikes, and yes they could beat the Vikes in the second game unless they trot Foles out there again. If they win all four of those games but get swept by us, they'd still finish at 9-7, which is better than what they did last year. But his record would then be 1-6 vs teams above 500, and that may sit poorly with the McCaskey-Halas clan there.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, some of the popular names on the NFL fan firing squad list are no longer there in 2020 (aka Jason Garrett), but there are coaches coming into this year who need to win and win now to save their jobs. There are a few others who may not be out but may not be far behind.

1. Hottest seat belongs to Matt Patricia in Detroit

In 2 years only 9 total wins, the same amount his predecessor had the year he was fired. Patricia may have been let off the hook because of injuries last year, but that won't fly this year. 9 wins minimum will be expected of him this year to avoid getting fired.

2. Most likely Doug Marrone in Jacksonville. The Jags have given him one more chance, but he will have to make good on that. He has an uphill battle going against division rivals Houston and Tennessee.

3. Dan Quinn in Atlanta: another surprise coach who kept his job when it seemed all but a foregone conclusion he was gone at the end of 2019. No doubt going 6-2 and 4-0 to end the season along with a win in San Francisco saved his job despite only going 7-9. It won't this season, and he's going to have to prove that the improvement Atlanta's defense showed in the second half was not an illusion. Expectations are that Quinn make the playoffs this year.

4. Adam Gase in New York (Jets): May have ended up exceeding expectations last year after what happened with Darnold and everything that looked like it would lead to a 2-14 season. However, Gase cannot afford to go on the same trajectory he did in Miami, which means if the Jets record does not improve this year, especially when the Patriots are going to be bad, he could and should be fired.

5. Kliff Kingsbury: The Cardinals were criticized for hiring him last year, and though there were some better showings in 2019 than the awful mess in 2018, there's still a lot of work to be done. Kingsbury will probably need at least an 8-8 season to stick around in 2021.

Close behind but probably won't be fired:

Zac Taylor so far has looked inept at his job in Cincinnati. With the Bengals having moved on from Dalton and now giving him the top rated rookie in Joe Burrow, they're definitely going to want to see his ability to turn QBs into magic which he was hired for out of the Rams staff. Another dismal season might get him fired, but this is Cincy where the owners have tolerated incompetence for a long time.

Anthony Linn in LA may also have a make or break season. The Chargers were probably right to keep him while moving on from Rivers and Gordon, but he'll have to make good on his clean slate.

Brian Flores in Miami was given a blank check for last year as he should have been with the massive earthquake and all the upheaval following him into Miami. While the rebuild project may be at least a 3-year one, it is fair to wonder if winning 5 games last year, a little more than what was expected at the beginning of the year may have left him with a little less room for error this year. One would assume he won't be fired at the end of this year, but Miami is anything but predictable.

Two other names that are very unlikely to be fired but could certainly come under high criticism if they have disappointing seasons are Vic Fangio and Mike Tomlin. The Broncos will probably try to be generous to Fangio, but ever since Mike Shannahan left at the end of 2008, three of the last four Denver head coaches were gone after two years, and the other only lasted four years.

Tomlin probably won't be fired either because the Steelers have not fired a single head coach in over 50 years, the only franchise to hold such a record. Tomlin however, has never missed the playoffs for more than two years in a row, so it is a fair question to wonder whether a third year in a row of such an occurrence would trigger a change from management. His predecessor Bill Cowher did miss the playoffs for three years in a row from 1998 to 2000 though, so Tomlin may be able to survive even that unless the Steelers have a disastrous season.
Granted he should be fired imo there will be several HCs who get a 1 year extension b/c of Covid. Zimmerman for example

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Granted he should be fired imo there will be several HCs who get a 1 year extension b/c of Covid. Zimmerman for example

If you mean Mike Zimmer, the Vikings HC, he just got a 3 year extension this past July. Doesn't mean he won't be fired if the Vikings season ends up squarely in the toilet, but they obviously like the guy.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol yeah why the hell do people keep calling him Zimmerman? There ain't no ****ing coach Zimmerman.

Anyway he was never on the hot seat to begin with, and he wasn't going to get fired unless they finished like 4-12 or something.

But COVID schmovid ain't gonna do **** to save Patricia and Gase. Both those clowns are going to get their butts kicked out pronto.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Big Mike's *** might be a bit warmer after todays game against one of the other crappy teams in that pathetic East Division.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wwas thinking he could be, but it's just hard to say because king Jerry has a history of tolerating mediocrity, at least to those who become his yes men. Not sure if MM has or not.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Big Mike's *** might be a bit warmer after todays game against one of the other crappy teams in that pathetic East Division.
Hard call

Lost so many people and whole covid...new coach new system no training camp per say

I doubt he is

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hard call

Lost so many people and whole covid...new coach new system no training camp per say

I doubt he is

Jerry has to blame someone, other than himself. I think it would be a mistake if they don't give MM at least one "normal season" and a healthier team to prove himself, but nothing JJ does seems to be "normal".

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lmao that's funny plus the players throwing him under the bus

Now just Adam Gase to go and the firing squad is complete lol

Members online

Latest posts