Tolzien vs Hundley and other HOF Game matchups and opinions

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What an opportunity to prove yourself for both Tolzien and Hundley. I doubt either Rodgers or Luck will play much if at all. So that means Tolzien will get the chance to show to his old team that he is reliable and a true leader. Also to show the colts they chose the right QB to bring in behind Luck. Hundley on the other hand can exhibit the skills the Packers thought were worth letting Tolzien walk. It will be interesting to watch to say the least. Personally I am a Tolzien fan. He showed improvement in every season and reminds me of Andy Dalton. Hundley I believe can be a dangerous QB both in the pocket plus his wheels. Which is the reason why the packers let him walk probably. Personally I think that the move is best for both of them. Both are now backups 1 injury (god forbid)away from being the GUY.

A few packer players battling for depth charts to watch in my opinion.
1. Punter competition between Masthay and Mortell. I amit to being on the bandwagon to boot Masthay, but thats not the only reason to favoring Mortell. Mortell has ties to the Packers and to GreenBay. He had an impressive college career at Minnesota often showing a big leg with accuracy. Plus Masthay sucked so bad last year I went through 2 Tvs thanks to the remote through the screens, and i cant afford that this year. Hopefully Mortell shows some stuff this weekend and beats out Masthay.
2. Perillo vs Backman is the other battle to watch closely. From what i hear from fans. Its split pretty even between who they think deserves the 3rd spot that TE.

Im still trying to figure out why they drafted Carl Bradford. He isnt suited for our scheme. I have to say we struck out with both Khyri Thornton and Carl Bradford in 2014 and i predicted that then like many other fans. You'd have to think this preseason is the last chance for Bradford.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should be fun to watch of all camp. Just in case you are trying to tune in this weekend, keep in mind that the game isn't until Sunday the 7th....so a week and a half from now.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should be fun to watch of all camp. Just in case you are trying to tune in this weekend, keep in mind that the game isn't until Sunday the 7th....so a week and a half from now.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Oh duh. Thanks guess this indica is kickin in! That would be a badass poster of Mortell. Well as badass as a poster of a punter could be haha.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have high hopes for Hundley. Hope he signs a second contract here, and steps in when Rodgers decides to retire.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Hundley is that good, the only thing that will keep him here is a catastrophic injury to Rodgers. So, let's just let it be. If the kid is good, he'll be a starter somewhere else. Hopefully Rodgers doesn't have a career ender and he'll be the man for the better part of another decade for us. At least half of one anyway.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Hundley is that good, the only thing that will keep him here is a catastrophic injury to Rodgers. So, let's just let it be. If the kid is good, he'll be a starter somewhere else. Hopefully Rodgers doesn't have a career ender and he'll be the man for the better part of another decade for us. At least half of one anyway.
I think signing another 4 year deal after his rookie deal would probabally earn him the starting job for the GreenBay Packers... Eventually..... Thats better than going to, the Browns, Jets, or Buffalo, where QBs go to die.

Reaction score
At the very least, What we have seen from Hundley is that his football acumen is equal to or better than any backup QB we've had since Aaron was second string.
Hundley has a ways to go, but we can justifiably say that with just about any guy who has not started a regular season game in the NFL. After watching him last year, I personally think we got a 5th round steal and if there were a draft do over with what we've seen from Brett early on? he'd be gone by the middle of the 2nd round.

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley will also face better competition this preseason being higher on the depth chart. Last preseason he played exceptional against 3rd stringers. What the coaches will be watching for from him will be knowledge of the playbook and quick release. Hundley has some wheels on him also. He needs to show last preseason wasnt a fluke!

D

Deleted member 6794

I have high hopes for Hundley. Hope he signs a second contract here, and steps in when Rodgers decides to retire.

I seriously doubt that Hundley wants to sit on the bench for eight seasons.

Didn't Hundley start game 3 last preseason or at least play most of it?

You're correct that Hundley started against the Eagles, completing 22 of 31 passes for 315 yards, throwing two touchdowns as well as a pick six playing the first three quarters.

I don't know how long the Eagles first team defense played but Hundley struggled in the first quarter going 3-for-6 for 73 yards (most of the yards coming after the catch by Montgomery and Starks) while being intercepted by Walter Thurmond.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just read that Hundley went down in practice today. Any news on this?

According to the Tom Silverstein Hundley suffered an ankle injury earlier this week. Hopefully he's able to play in the HOF game on Sunday as the preseason games are extremely important for his development.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I obviously don't have any idea how bad last nights ankle injury (or re-injury) is, but this guy need to try and play through the pain if possible. I like what I have seen from him and hopefully he doesn't have a glass ankle.

D

Deleted member 6794

I obviously don't have any idea how bad last nights ankle injury (or re-injury) is, but this guy need to try and play through the pain if possible. I like what I have seen from him and hopefully he doesn't have a glass ankle.

Hundley sitting on the bench for half an hour after leaving the game and walking to the locker room without a heavy limb at half time suggests his ankle injury isn't that severe.

There's no reason to play through pain during the preseason though.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley sitting on the bench for half an hour after leaving the game and walking to the locker room without a heavy limb at half time suggests his ankle injury isn't that severe.

There's no reason to play through pain during the preseason though.
Your right, no player ever lost their spot because they left a game because of an injury. What was I thinking?

D

Deleted member 6794

Your right, no player ever lost their spot because they left a game because of an injury. What was I thinking?

Absolutely no idea what you're trying to say.

I'd rather have Hundley healthy by the start of the regular season than have him play through pain in a meaningless preseason game while risking additional damage to the ankle.

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm saying that there are times when a player leaves the game because of an injury only to have his replacement take his starting job because he does a great job.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm saying that there are times when a player leaves the game because of an injury only to have his replacement take his starting job because he does a great job.

There's zero chance either Callahan or Williams end up being Rodgers backup entering the regular season. If Hundley isn't healthy for the start of the regular season I expect the Packers to being in a veteran, most likely Matt Flynn.

Latest posts