Today's PackersNews Premiun - Havel Speaks Out

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say this - if not for the fact that Steele and McHugh weren't panning out (??)

Things might have turned out very differently..... Remember, TT was watching the $$$$$

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"You've got to make up your minds. Gonna stay alive and ante up? Or want to play it cheap, be on welfare the whole winter..."
Capt. Quint. -- "Jaws"

IB,

You can watch the money all you want...but sometimes you have to pay up....these players DO have some value, you know.....

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea, yea - I figured I'd be hearing from "66".....

But, just remember, I like Bubba, too. Just the same, TT is responsible for seeing to it that we have money in the bank and not finding ourselves in a tailspin like the Niners.... Sherman almost put us there with his riding the bank account into the ground.... If he had, Bubba would be heading elsewhere already....

It's fine line between being worth something to crying that line of "Hey Johnnie got 8 mil, what about me"... and, right now(?) - the Players are watching the pendulum swing back the other way... it's a sign of the times thanks to guys like TO, etc.

If Bubba ends up having me remember him like I do Chewey & Keith - I'm real happy about that... trust me!

I just happen to think that worth is listed at different levels from one team to another... How often have we seen Players sign for less money over at New England? And, how is it that only New England is politically correct in doing so? Let's get back on solid ground here... heads outta the clouds, and all that...!

I have no doubt that Bubba was probably TT's last big contract for the year... Certainly, Jackson's gettin' none of that.. agreed? Well, there ya go!

Let's get down to some football...! :mrgreen:

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really anxious to see the details of this deal, in particular the sign bonus, and how much was weighted in the 6th and 7th year.

I know there are a boat load of weapons on the offense ( debatably more than the super bowl years) and only one ball,but I would like to see Bubba slightly more involved in the passing game. In recent memory, it seems like the Packer's offense has been more successful when the TE has been more involved.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Tom Rossley has effectively eliminated the TE from our offense for each of the last 2 or 3 seasons. God, I hate his game calling....I pray that Sherman lives up to his commitment to make the game calls this year.

Tom Rossley is a killer....just like Daunte Cucumber....big stats but chokes when the heat is on.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than the opposing defenses, and for some inexplicable reason, MS, is there such thing as a Rossely fan?!? :D

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
musscy,

I think Net or RP always sticks up for Rosseley...

i can't remember who now..but maybe we'll hear from one of them!

(it's a very short list...whatever else it is...)

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack,

I used to defend him until after I noticed the difference when Sherman took over the play calling...Brett and the team seemed to respond much better to him.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The deal is cap neutral or slightly better than the transition tag. I think when the numbers come out you will find this is not a 4 mil/year deal but more likely a disguised 4 or 5 year deal.

Some fans say Daniel or Bubba is not worth it due to low numbers. This is incorrect. If you follow post game stats you'll find Brett spreads the ball around amongst receivers. There is no favorite target for a defense to focus upon. Driver, Walker, Ferguson, Franks and RB's all get chances.

I think Bubba is in the top 25%(8) TE's in the NFL and to get that quality it costs money. There are few alternatives out there with near quality available at a reduced cost.

If Rodgers becomes QB sooner than expected Bubba's value to the team goes up considerably.

Also consider that a higher draft pick would have been spent next year replacing Bubba and the Packers would have suffered that player's rookie year. Bubba's deal provides an "extra" draft pick next year.

This is a reasonable deal for all concerned and that's why it got done.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently the SB is $7 million, but that can only be spread over 5 years, so the cap hit for the SB is 1.4 million per year. I think the minimum Bubba can play for this season is around $500K so that puts his cap number at around $1.9 million this season. The jsonline says that the contract is moderately to heavily backloaded.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In other words, for all intents and purposes Franks signed a 5 year deal that will be worth something like 15 mil

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
I'll say this - if not for the fact that Steele and McHugh weren't panning out (??)

Things might have turned out very differently..... Remember, TT was watching the $$$$$

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Martin, Steele, etc. sure didn't do anything to make me forget about Bubba.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All McHugh, Steele and Martin was to leverage Bubba's deal. Still Bubba said he eventually would have signed the transition tag. I know Walker is watching what's happening and sees what happens when you're not an egotistical freak. Besides a pretty good TE, Bubba is a true pro, no complaints, no taking time off, just plays hard every down, hasn't missed a game and is a team player. Rare.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts