Today, August 11th is Packer's 92nd birthday

PWT

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today is the Packer birthdate. The Green Bay Packers were founded on August 11, 1919.

On this date,there was a meeting in the editorial room of Green Bay Press-Gazette. At this meeting , Earl "Curly" Lambeau and George "Cal" Calhoun organized the town team. This team became the Green Bay Packers.

The Packers played an independent schedule in 1919 and 1920.

The Packers joined the new professional football league, first known as the American Professional Football Association in 1921. The APFA was reorganized in 1922 and became the National Football League.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Happy Birthday Packers. Wonder if the Packers will do something for the 100th

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder what the attendance record was for the very first game.
I imagine like just one person sitting there among empty seats.
Whoever they were, at least they had no problems with getting tickets and getting in.
No doubt the tickets would be like, what, a dollar fifty?
Some of them would think that was too high while we think that's lucky.
I wonder when the long waiting list for season tix started.
There was no TV back then.
So how can they claim that football was made for TV?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Happy Birthday old man! I wish you happy trails and many, many conquests still to come! Pretty soon you'll be centennial, isn't that crazy?

You sure been through a lot, from the early years of glory, to the treat of extinction, to the golden years with that guy in a camel hair coat, through the dark, eerie 70's and 80's, to the ressurgence in the 90's, with that hillbilly, that priest and that walrus, then the debacle with said hillbilly, and now with that creepy old guy that seems to make all the right moves managing you, pal.

It's been a long journey, an even longer awaits you, and I'll be with you, through thick and thin. As long as my eyes can see and my ears can hear, as long as my heart beats, I'll be with you.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Happy Birthday, and hopes for many more with crazy celebrations at the end of a prolonged season.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
I wonder what the attendance record was for the very first game.
I imagine like just one person sitting there among empty seats.
Whoever they were, at least they had no problems with getting tickets and getting in.
No doubt the tickets would be like, what, a dollar fifty?
Some of them would think that was too high while we think that's lucky.
I wonder when the long waiting list for season tix started.
There was no TV back then.
So how can they claim that football was made for TV?

The Indian Packing Company Packers played at Hagemeister Park in Green Bay on the site that is now most of East High School and Joannes Park. There was no parking lot, or seats, or tickets. The teams either dressed in the Locker Rooms at East High School or came to the Park ready to play. Fans of the team would simply show up and stand behind the ropes that were extended around the field. Later the Packers played at Bellevue Park just down Main St from where City Stadium would later be built behind East High School. At its peak City Stadium sat somewhere around 25,000 people. When you think about the greats that played at City Stadium, its mind blowing. Johnny Blood, Cub Buck, Cal Hubbard, Arnie Herber, Tony Canadeo, Clarke Hinkle, Don Hutson, Cecil Isbell, Tobin Rote, and later even Bart Starr, Ray Nitschke, and Forrest Gregg. City Stadium still exists and recently the Packers have erected a very nice facade and memorial plaques on the grounds. Growing up in Green Bay and playing football at Green Bay Southwest I had the pleasure of playing several games at City Stadium.

The Packers have the most unique and special history of any NFL team. Not even open to debate.

Latest posts