To those who oppose a Release

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
de_real_deal said:
tromadz said:
joe_smoe said:
I have a question to all those who oppose the release of brett favre.

If brett has given the fans all he has had within him for 17 years and played the game to the best of his ability then why cant we give something back

That's when I stopped reading.

He's made over 50 million dollars for his services as Green Bay's QB.

Maybe thats a lot of money for a person like you but consider that the #1 draft pick in this years draft got a signing bonus around 30 million, its not really that much. Alex Rodriguez is on is second 250 million dollar guaranteed contract. Its really not that much. Brett could have had much bigger contracts all throughout his career. He always gave the team friendly contracts.

I cant believe you're arguing this.
What's that, you don't like the facts?

there are no facts here.

football and baseball are two different sports with two completely different takes on salary. Brett has made as much as any football player will ever make. PERIOD. you can't argue that because its is fact.

He gave the team friendly contracts?? He spent 10 of his 16 years being the highest paid quarterback in the league...

We get it... you like Favre. so do we, we just happen to live on planet earth with the rest of the sane people.

Truman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the risk of starting a firestorm, I introduce the name Terrell Owens. His situation with the Eagles can be instructive.

Owens became a huge distraction for the Eagles. He challenged the quarterback. He challenged management. He challenged the coach. He brought all sorts of media attention to the team. Eventually, the Eagles tired of the circus and just plain released him. No trade. An outright release. Owens signed with the Cowboys, a fierce divisional rival. Since joining the Cowboys, Owens has had two All-Pro seasons. Rest assured that the Eagles would do the same thing again, without hesitation.

Favre is not Owens. Favre has irritated the Packers in different ways than Owens irritated the Eagles. But the point is that if the Packers do not want Favre around (and they should not if they want Aaron Rodgers to develop), they should get rid of him. Even if that means an outright release, or a trade for a low-round pick to anyone who wants him and for whom Favre is willing to play, including Minnesota.

Even if a Favre-led team goes on to win the Super Bowl this year, who cares? Rodgers likely will take a year or two to develop. If Rodgers develops faster than expected, then he can lead the Packers to victory over the Vikings or anyone else quarterbacked by Favre. If he develops at a more normal pace, the Packers next Super Bowl window will likely be after Favre finally retires from his next team.

I think the option of Favre returning to Green Bay is a dead one. I love the Packers and will root for Rodgers. But I am also a Favre fan, and a football fan. I would like to see Favre play somewhere because he is so fun to watch (the good and the bad). I would also like to see him extend his passing records to make them further out of reach for the likes of Peyton Manning.

And a 4th round pick from Minnesota gives the Packers more than they would have if Favre just stayed retired.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We get it... you like Favre. so do we
It is pretty obvious you guys do not like Favre when you criticize him for anything and everything and then act like Ted and the Packers have done nothing wrong. You have issues, maybe you were never truly a Packer fan, because you certainly couldn't have ever liked Brett.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
We get it... you like Favre. so do we
It is pretty obvious you guys do not like Favre when you criticize him for anything and everything and then act like Ted and the Packers have done nothing wrong. You have issues, maybe you were never truly a Packer fan, because you certainly couldn't have ever liked Brett.

J85 you have just put up the funniest post of 2008. Maybe even the entire decade!

Just because we say Brett is wrong in how he has handled himself in this situation does not mean we that do not like him. Nor does it mean that we have never liked the Packers. Check and see how many posters have Farvre memorabilia

If you would have read the other posts on this issue there are plenty of people who have said that TT has made mistakes. But not when it comes to releasing Brett. Releasing Brett would be a mistake. HUGE. Like it or not they own his butt. Get over it.

Not a true Packer fan? Get real. If you bothered to read you will see that most of us ARE the Packers fans. Not just fans who fall down and worship at the alter of Favrology. We can see that there is in deed life beyond Brett.

As for me, as a lad back in the late 70's, I put my name on the season ticket holder list and finally got the Gold package when the Packers remodeled the stadium. I paid for the PSL. I pay for the tickets. Since I live 5 hours away, a motel room. The gas, food, parking, etc. Just to see Green Bay play. That is an awful lot to do if I didn't like the Packers.

10 years from now none of the Brett stuff will matter.

I think it is fine that you have a different opinion than me. Nothing wrong in that. But don't tell me who I like and don't like because I dare to express an opinion tht it contrary to yours.

hosemeoff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heatherthepackgirl said:
I dont get it either, and people here keep saying its business, I think its bad business, if Packers dont feel Brett has what it takes to the get job done in Green Bay and they dont want him to start as QB then why do they fear him going to an opposing team? Because what? They might loose to him? This makes NO sense to me at all. If they fear loosing a game without Favre, then why isnt he starting in Green Bay? Business or no business this is all pretty stupid IMO..The Packers IMO are making a big mistake. Again tonight in his interview, he couldnt be more honest and genuine he tells it the way it is, and he isnt saying he was 100 % right in what choice he made but all this man wants to do is play again, why is this so wrong> If the Packers dont want him then the Packers should release him, let him go where he wants, I think over the last 17 years of what he has given this organization he deserves this, to make his own choice on where he wants to play. And I know most of you will say, well then we would have to play against him, well if you all fear this, then why are you so against him coming back to Green Bay? And if they want him to back up Rodgers this is totally ridiculous, like Favre has said why should he? He shouldnt, he has proven over and over again that he is the best why now should he have to prove himself?

But you're approaching it emotionally. This is just like any other bottomless debates that involve reason against emotion or science vs. religion.

You have to understand that the NFL is a business and for a team to be successful they have to follow along a fairly stringent schedule. The timetable for Favre to have a change of heart came -- obvoiusly, I mean, he almost came back -- but then it passed. It passed when Favre rescinded the final time and the Packers drafted two quarterbacks and installed offensive changes. It's too late for Favre to join the Packers. This is sad and unfortunate and Brett Favre's fault. There were multiple chances to come back. The miscommunication that Favre claims had existed between himself and TT and MM is his side of things, and if true would be UNFORTUNATE. But it's not binding. This isn't about "feel good" or being sentimental. Favre can't be allowed to play for a division rival. But he should honor his word and stay retired or at the very extreme come to camp and compete for his job (which most agree he'd almost certainly WIN that job).

Evad, don't let Hillary see you accuse Heather of approaching things "emotionally." (insert biased, chauvinist media accusation here)

I don't think it's an emotional response. It seems like an ethical response to allow a HOF QB the opportunity to continue playing. Granted, an outright release seems like a mis-management of a huge asset, but it would also be poor management to divide a fan base from its icon and merchandising/PR champion. Watching a bonafide HOFer is a joy and privilege for fans of all teams. How many times have other fans, even rivals, admitted to loving the way Brett plays the game.

Did anyone cry for Montana as he mired into obscurity with the Chiefs? Did it tarnish his legacy? Did the San Francisco fans hate Joe and/or the team for moving in different directions? Wouldn't you want to see Barry Sanders break one more pinball move? His career ended in a similar fashion to how Favre's will end if Green Bay stonewalls him: prematurely.

The emotional responses seem to be those that are trying to convince us that we should now dislike or push away Favre. They are trying to make Favre out to be some mastermind of evil, hell-bent on destroying the Packers. They try to convince us that Favre has to be punished and disgraced for changing his mind. Athletic talent is not an investment. It will be gone one day and no one can change that. Shouldn't we allow a HOFer to use his talents until he no longer can? Why should someone else obstruct him from using a gift that could vanish at any time?

Release him, trade him, or allow him to compete in Green Bay (fingers crossed). None of us should tell him what to do unless he is in a Steve Young-esque vegetative state.

Title Town USA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if the Packers brought Favre back and he won another SuperBowl this season that doesn't matter 10 years from now? That doesn't make any sense, it would be a part of the history of the Packers organization, and how successful they have been. Get a clue.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Truman said:
Even if a Favre-led team goes on to win the Super Bowl this year, who cares? Rodgers likely will take a year or two to develop. If Rodgers develops faster than expected, then he can lead the Packers to victory over the Vikings or anyone else quarterbacked by Favre. If he develops at a more normal pace, the Packers next Super Bowl window will likely be after Favre finally retires from his next team.[/quote]

Do you hear what your typing? With BF, the Packers are good enough to win the SB now. Giving Rodgers time to develop also gives some of GB's top players time to jump ship for greener pastures, time for devastating injuries to cripple a once-great team. It happens all the time. Like it or not this is a win-now league. Nothing is guaranteed.

That being said the damage is done betweeen Favre & the Packers. It is beyond repair. Favre will force TT's hand & a trade will happen. It's the blackest mark on the organization since Hornung's suspension. Wake me when it's over.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you hear what your typing? With BF, the Packers are good enough to win the SB now. Giving Rodgers time to develop also gives some of GB's top players time to jump ship for greener pastures, time for devastating injuries to cripple a once-great team. It happens all the time. Like it or not this is a win-now league. Nothing is guaranteed.

That being said the damage is done betweeen Favre & the Packers. It is beyond repair. Favre will force TT's hand & a trade will happen. It's the blackest mark on the organization since Hornung's suspension. Wake me when it's over.

It's win now to a point. Let's not end up like Sherman's Packers.

Truman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doughsellz: Yes I know what I typed. And I hated typing it. I would love Favre to play for Green Bay this year and beyond. And as an interesting aside, Terrell Davis has said that if John Elway had flip-flopped on the Broncos, there is absolutely no question that owner Pat Bowlen, Coach Shanahan and the team would have brought him back as the unquestioned starter, even if it had happened in the middle of training camp, and even though Brian Griese was being groomed as the heir apparent.

But Thompson and McCarthy appear to be determined to "move on" with Rodgers. While they have stated publicly that they would welcome Favre back on the roster, numerous "insider" reports have indicated they would not allow an open competition for the starting job. They want to move on, but they do not want Favre to move on.

Because the Green Bay brass apparently do not want Favre to play for the Packers, I desperately want them to let him play elsewhere. I would watch the Packers live, and TiVo Favre's games. If they played each other, I would root for the Packers to win the game, but for Favre to play well.

Hosemeoff's post was excellent. He hit the nail on the head by framing it as an ethical issue. All true NFL fans stand to lose if the ultimate outcome is Favre sits out a season when he still can play, and wants to play. The Barry Sanders analogy is apt. Sanders, not Emmit "debacled" Smith, should be the NFL's all-time leading rusher.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
So if the Packers brought Favre back and he won another SuperBowl this season that doesn't matter 10 years from now? That doesn't make any sense, it would be a part of the history of the Packers organization, and how successful they have been. Get a clue.

Sure a SB victory would be great. Don't hold your breath. Brett said that the likelyhood of the team, with him at the helm, of making it to the SB and winning it all, this season, is a long shot at best. So much so that he didn't even want to try. Why not say that if Brett comes back it is going to rain $50 bills at halftime of every home game? The teams of the mid 90's were as good or better than the current team and Brett was a better QB then, the 3 MVP are proof of that, and yet 1 SB championship.
You know what I was refering to. I was saying that all the arguing and wailing will be long forgotten by the fans in a short period of time.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But Thompson and McCarthy appear to be determined to "move on" with Rodgers. While they have stated publicly that they would welcome Favre back on the roster, numerous "insider" reports have indicated they would not allow an open competition for the starting job. They want to move on, but they do not want Favre to move on.

That is simply not possible. The players still have enuf respect for Brett. They would not stand by and watch this. The media would see it as a joke as well.

To not allow Brett a chance if they had publicly stated he can try an earn the starting position would destroy the team. TT and MM know this.

ElleBlue

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doughsellz: Yes I know what I typed. And I hated typing it. I would love Favre to play for Green Bay this year and beyond. And as an interesting aside, Terrell Davis has said that if John Elway had flip-flopped on the Broncos, there is absolutely no question that owner Pat Bowlen, Coach Shanahan and the team would have brought him back as the unquestioned starter, even if it had happened in the middle of training camp, and even though Brian Griese was being groomed as the heir apparent.

Because the Green Bay brass apparently do not want Favre to play for the Packers, I desperately want them to let him play elsewhere. I would watch the Packers live, and TiVo Favre's games. If they played each other, I would root for the Packers to win the game, but for Favre to play well.

Hosemeoff's post was excellent. He hit the nail on the head by framing it as an ethical issue. All true NFL fans stand to lose if the ultimate outcome is Favre sits out a season when he still can play, and wants to play. The Barry Sanders analogy is apt. Sanders, not Emmit "debacled" Smith, should be the NFL's all-time leading rusher.

I'd like to see him elsewhere too, because we all know it's not happening with the Packers. If they want to keep him away from Minnesota, fine! They can trade him. What gets to me is they are leaving Favre with NO options. That isn't fair to him. Sure they paid him a lot of money. And he did what was required of him as agreed. Now they are stone walling him, so he can't move on as well.

OP
OP
J

joe_smoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I found it very intersting how at the espy interview both Shawn Merriman and Matt Leinart said that brett favre should have the right to choose where he goes. THey also added that the organization should step away if they go with aaron and let favre control his own future.

Interesting for a team that supposedly such good tradition organization-players relations, it seems as though other player arent impressed with what green bay is doing to brett

RELEASE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
joe_smoe said:
I found it very intersting how at the espy interview both Shawn Merriman and Matt Leinart said that brett favre should have the right to choose where he goes. THey also added that the organization should step away if they go with aaron and let favre control his own future.

No kidding, right? I mean if respected players like Merriman and Leinart, which by the way have done an excellent job building their franchises, know what to do with the Favre situation, what more does Thompson need to hear?

:roll:

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doughsellz: Yes I know what I typed. And I hated typing it. I would love Favre to play for Green Bay this year and beyond. And as an interesting aside, Terrell Davis has said

Right there is where i stopped reading. Terell Davis is not someone to get an opinion from. He is a notorious Packer blaster and his opinion on most issues are retarded. When he's not repeating word for word what someone else wrote for him to say, he sounds like a clown. A gimpy clown who is just upset that he got a boo boo on his knee and cant play anymore.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
joe_smoe said:
I found it very intersting how at the espy interview both Shawn Merriman and Matt Leinart said

Those two should not be allowed to give an opinion on anything, even if they are supporting MY BRETT :)

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrell Davis has said that if John Elway had flip-flopped on the Broncos, there is absolutely no question that owner Pat Bowlen, Coach Shanahan and the team would have brought him back as the unquestioned starter, even if it had happened in the middle of training camp, and even though Brian Griese was being groomed as the heir apparent.

Didn't Terell Davis, who you don't ever listen to, just make the same point you have been trying to make for god knows how long now.

Do you read what people actually write?

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Terrell Davis has said that if John Elway had flip-flopped on the Broncos, there is absolutely no question that owner Pat Bowlen, Coach Shanahan and the team would have brought him back as the unquestioned starter, even if it had happened in the middle of training camp, and even though Brian Griese was being groomed as the heir apparent.

Didn't Terell Davis, who you don't ever listen to, just make the same point you have been trying to make for god knows how long now.

Do you read what people actually write?

You see there is the difference. De_Real thinks Terrell is an idiot even IF he's agreeing with his point. I do to as a matter of fact.

Now, SOME would say he was a huge idiot if he posted something that opposed thier viewpoint. Then the next day, when Terrell said something that supported thier viewpoint he would be the most credible, trustworty, guy ever.Of course the next day it may change again, and again, and again.

It's called standing on your own two feet and being consistent. That's a lost concept to some on here

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This situation is ugly and will get much uglier in the next couple of weeks...

Trading Favre isn't as easy as it looks. Any team looking to deal for him are going to realize that he comes complete with a $12 million plus hit on their cap this year. Now, while some teams could use his talents, I doubt many are really going to want to put out that kind of cash for a 38 year old QB who by all accounts isn't sure if he really wants to play this year... especially if they can deal on their own terms once TT releases him.

The problem is, TT knows the Queens are chomping at the bit to sign him. He can't release him or there is a good chance the Queens front office will pull out all stops to sign him and make a run at the SB this year. TT certainly does not want to face a division rival with a Pro-Bowl calibre QB that knows every player on his offense and defense on an intimate level.

The league knows this, and (most of all) Favre knows this. Favre can continue to play chicken with TT and if he does not get his release, he can send in his letter of intent to the commissioner. At that point Favre becomes an active member of the Green Bay Packers. TT can try to trade him (which is doubtful for the reasons above), release him (doubtful - see above) or allow him to compete for the starting job (which IMO, would end up being his, despite on how good Rodgers may be). The idea that TT will pay $12 million for a backup is freaking laughable. So where does this leave us? If Brett really does harbour a faint hope of leading the Green and Gold one last time, he really is holding all the cards to make it happen. Unfortunately, this situation is going to affect the team more and more the longer it is allowed to fester.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Releasing Favre is the dumbest suggest to date. Of course Favre wants to be released to choose where he'd like to play. The NFL is both a business and a game. It's not good for the GB Packers, gamewise or business-wise, to just let Favre go.

Those who think that GB 'owes' it to Favre are more of a Favre fan than a Packer fan. The team comes first. It is and has to be that way.

GO PACK GO!!!

OP
OP
J

joe_smoe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think brett should call their bluff and come back to the packers...with all that has happened there is no way if they really want to go with aaron rogdgers that they could let him be on the sidelines...It would be a circus and they would have to release him!!!!!!!!

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My last post on this subject.

There were many very valid points brought up in this thread.

The main one being TT doesn't want Brett to play for The Vikings or any NFC North team,because he worries Brett will be able to come to Lambeau and get a victory.

What I don't understand is if TT thinks that BF is still that good,

WHY DOESN'T HE JUST GET TOGETHER WITH BRETT,AARON AND MM AND WORK THIS THING OUT.

The media is having a hayday with this story and if you think it is going away by The Packers refusing to do anything with Brett, you are sadly mistaken.
I'll say it again, AR deserves to have the best chance for success as possible, that isn't going to happen until this thing gets resolved.

Members online

Latest posts